What's new

8 Simple Rules... (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I just cant see the show starting up again, they should just air the unaired episodes plus a tribute. Its like continuing the honeymooners in the 50s without Jackie Gleason.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Henry Winkler was appearing in the show that was being worked on when Ritter died. All I've heard were that they didn't know what would happen. This just happened Thursday night and I doubt the studio would make any comments over the weekend.

My point here is that every group I read in which Ritter's death has come up someone says they've heard Winkler is taking over. It's really only rumor and speculation based on partial information (no offense to original poster)

-paul

Joseph Tidline

Supporting Actor
I heard that it is a slim chance that the show will go on since it was marketed as being John Ritter's show. The reason it was put on the air was because of him.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
ABC will air an hourlong tribute to late TV icon John Ritter on Tuesday (8-9 pm/ET). The special will feature interviews with the cast of Three's Company and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
David: yeah tomorrow night is what i took from the article @ tvguide.com who had the information in their daily news section. Maybe i am reading it wrong and they mean next tuesday. But wait isn't next tuesday tomorrow ? :)

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
They replaced Darren (Dick York/Dick Seargent) on Bewitched. I guess it would be possible with 8 Simple Rules, as well. Somehow, though, I don't think it would work. It just wouldn't be the same.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
With "8 Simple Rules...", you're talking about trying to explain the sudden absence of the head of the main family. There's no way to pull it off. The only other option is to cast a new actor in Ritter's role and pretend as if nothing ever changed. And that idea is flat-out the dumbest thing they could ever do.
I can see it now..."Tonight, on a very special '8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter'..."

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
My girlfriend and I definitely enjoyed 8 Simple Rules last year. We were looking forward to another season this fall.

There is a very, very slim chance they could come up with somebody to slide into the show and try to continue (NOT replace Ritter in the father role though). I don't think the show would ever be the same though and I'd rather they not try. Agreed that they should air the remaining 8 Simple Rules eps. I would possibly by the series on DVD.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well, it has been anounced that they WILL continue 8 Simple Rules! The season premiere will be next Tuesday as planned. After the three episodes John filmed are aired, they will go on a short hiatus and start up again.

Andy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not quite, Andy.

What was mentioned last night during the EXCELLENT tribute to John was that 8SR would have the last three episodes air weekly starting next week, and then afterward would be an hour-long episode showing the family dealing with the sudden death of their father.

A bold move, as this sort of thing really hasn't been handled on-screen before, not like this. I am filled with trepidation about how it will come off. However, I plan to watch it and see what they do with it (as I'm sure a LOT of TV viewers will).

Afterward...who knows? I suppose that if the hour-long special introduces a good new concept that allows the series to keep going, then they will move forward with it. I think they're in a weak position with trying to continue the show, and it's practically a lose-lose-maybe win proposition. Great for Katey and the kids if they can keep it going, though. I'm sure John would be rooting for them.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
The tribute show was indeed well done, suprising considering it was only 1 hour. I got a kick out of seeing footage of the english version of the 3s company show, it looked cheesey. Ill watch the 3 episodes left with John, plus out of curiousity ill tune in to see what they do with the show afterwards.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Very strange Dave. I just heard exactly what Andy said.

I think continuing the show will be a big mistake. His loss will create a vacuum.

Glenn

AllanN

Supporting Actor
They replaced Darren (Dick York/Dick Seargent) on Bewitched. I guess it would be possible with 8 Simple Rules, as well. Somehow, though, I don't think it would work. It just wouldn't be the same.
Was this because of an actors death? Also Samantha was more of the main charecter in the show anyway.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Allan, in Bewitched, Dick York left supposedly because of back problems, though rumors persist it was alcoholism. Dick Sargent had been the first choice for Darrin, but was unavailable when the series started, so they just got him when the part became open again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks