8 Simple Rules...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Blough, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I'm assuming ABC is going to show the last three unaired 8 Simple Rules episodes during November Sweeps and then air a tribute to John Ritter. That's the most obvious choice.

Then it's probable that they'll release a 8 Simple Rules DVD set of the entire series along with the tribute. I doubt they'll continue the show.

Anybody else with any thoughts about the way the series will be treated and would you buy it on DVD? I never watched the show myself but if the set has a nice tribute to the late great John Ritter, than I might pick it up.

2. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

I've only seen a few episodes because there always seemed to be something else on I wanted to see more, but the episodes I saw were good! I wished I had watched it more and would definately pick up the DVD set if they release it.

3. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I would definately buy a DVD set of the entire series. It is such a great, fun show, especially Kaley Cuoco as Bridget, who I believe made the show along with John. I think they should continue with the show, John I'm sure would want it that way. I think it's to good to end.

Andy

4. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I honestly don't think anyone could replace him. I will miss this show alot.

5. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

You can't just replace Ritter on the show like you could Michael J. Fox on "Spin City".

On the latter, Fox's departure from the series was planned. He was around to do a final episode and was replaced at the workplace by Charlie Sheen's character.

With "8 Simple Rules...", you're talking about trying to explain the sudden absence of the head of the main family. There's no way to pull it off. The only other option is to cast a new actor in Ritter's role and pretend as if nothing ever changed. And that idea is flat-out the dumbest thing they could ever do.

Show the final episodes and create some sort of a tribute episode to finish the series off with.

6. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I worked on the pilot of "8 Simple Rules". It was the only time I ever worked with John Ritter, but I can tell you without hesitation that he was a genuinely nice person. John was the kind of guy that did not let the industry go to his head. He was very personable to everyone, cast and crew alike. He will be dearly missed.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Or you could say his character died between episodes, but that would be too depressing for this relatively light-hearted show.

8. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

I probably watched about 7 or 8 episodes when this was on , and it was a fun show. Id probably buy it if they released it.

9. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

I would definitely buy it. I would buy it to own the one episode and one sequence of the series that I ever saw. A sequence I thought was hilarious and a great homage to Three's Company.

In it they had John (I don't recall his character's name in the series) in some sort of Three's Company dream sequence. I believe his two daughers and their boyfriends were the tenants and he was the landlord. Oh man, it was great. I think it was only a few minutes, but it was just great.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

There isn't any way for this to come out wrong, but he could just die in the series too. Shit happens.

They should just end it. It would pay a greater tribute to him rather than trying to replace him with someone else, which wouldn't work.

Marc, I had thought about Harper too, and stopped watching it after she left. They should have let it go.

Glenn

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

13. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

If anyone would be kind enough to do this, it would be appreciated. I watch alot more dvd than tv , so when someone hears when the 3 or so unaired episodes air, feel free to bump this thread up. Thanks !

14. WillG

WillG Producer

15. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

There is apparently talk of writing his death into the series, having the 'wife' leave on an extended trip as part of the 'healing' and having 'his brother' come in to deal with the kids....

the major name being banted about is Henry Winkler

16. jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols Stunt Coordinator

Well I can honestly say 8 Simple Rules was the first network show I watched weekly since Seinfeld and Home Improvement (I usually watch sports or cable). This show was funny without being over the top. And was just overall very entertaining. It will definately be missed.

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They ought to show John Ritter some respect by airing the remaining shows WITHOUT the onscreen ABC logo! This is why I don't watch TV anymore.

18. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell

19. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

If there is a classy way to continue the series without John, they will find that way. If not, the series will end.
    A lot of people will suffer John's untimely death, both in front of and behind the camera. They will all be unemployed. The show had real potential to go more than a few years. Another possibility would be that the show goes on an extended hiatus until the producers figure out what's best for all involved.

20. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter