What's new

8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter 11/04/2003 (1 Viewer)

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised no one's posted about this yet. Here are my thoughts that I posted at another board.

First, the bad things. And there was only one of them - the commercials. This thing should have run commercial-free. I realized this as soon as the first ad popped up, for the film Elf. Talk about a mood-killer. On the upside, the commercials did give me a few minutes, at least, to recooperate before the next scene had me in tears.

And for the good things: It got to me. I was in tears nearly constantly, except for the last 15 minutes or so. And I was watering up again in the last scene.

Pleshette and Garner were excellent. I can't wait to see more of them in these roles. The wise, sage grandparents, doing what little they can to help out. I can't speak highly enough of them.

The main thing about this episode was it's truthfulness. Sometimes, in such situations, you say the wrong thing (like Tommy did with his off-color joke). Emotions are volatile (like when Bridget finally broke down
about what she last told Paul). You get angry (like Rory), and you get angry at whatever higher being(s) you may believe in, like Cate. Or you try to focus on something else, especially when at a loss for words (ala Nick).

For the record, as far as I was able to determine, Goodbye was filmed without a studio audience. It was just the cast and crew involved in this one. And it worked to great effect, by makign us question whether a joke was funny or not, all depending on what you hear, your point of view and your feelings, and not based on what others think is humourous.

But it also made me too depressed to watch 24 or anything else for the next few hours, at least. I am quite impressed. It will take a long time for the healing process, but I am sure the Henneseys will laugh again. And I will be with them for the long run.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
I don't cry at movies or tv shows.

I cried during this....enough said.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No studio audience was brave of them. For once ABC made the riskier choice; I'm glad it has paid off for the followers of the show.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've never seen this show, but I meant to watch this episode. Unfortunately I forgot to record it. Damn. :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It was a pretty well done show. I missed pieces of the first 5 minutes or so, I did see Cate get the phone call and run out the house. I was curious how they explain John Ritter's character's death? I heard the part where they said he went to get milk.

James Garner I thought was very good. They managed to pull off a nice upbeat ending. Must have been tough on all the actors, especially the kids.

Thanks.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Cate wanted Paul to get some groceries and he said, "Hasta la vista, baby." Then he went to the store and while in the third aisle, he collapsed.

Other than that, there's not much detail. Not that it is needed.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Depressing...

Without Ritter, I don't see how they can re-introduce the humor of the show. Who will Bridget and Rory spar with?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
The show beat everything in the ratings. A very fitting tribute, but it seems so empty. The coming weeks will determine whether the show can go on.

Chris

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I tuned in just to see if they'd be respectful enough to leave the damn ABC logo off the screen during the show- after a couple minutes of it not going away I turned it off. Commercials can at least be placed so they don't get in the way too much, but these logos REALLY kill whatever mood the show is trying to set. I still don't see how anyone can watch a show with these, and why the show producers allow their work to be ruined like this.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I really appreciated the no audience/laugh track. It was wonderful to be uncomfortable during the whole show. As a Pastor I see this almost everyday, and it still makes my heart cry out for those that are effected by death.

Ditto...wonderful job and great way to show a wonderful man your love of him through "Goodbye".

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"I try to watch the show, and not focus on the lower right-hand corner of the screen."

That's the point- I can't watch the show without being distracted by it as it IS on the picture. As I mentioned in another thread, having a network logo during a show that has anything even remotely serious going on is as appropriate as playing carnival music during an emotional scene. This proves that there is NO class left in the TV business, and I'm glad I decided not to work in it.
added: What if they also put up the words "Don't cry, it's only a TV show?"

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
My wife was in tears through the whole thing. I got misty eyed. I think maybe because it was real, if you know what I mean, good show.

I too also liked the fact there was no laugh track, that would of ruined the mood and tone of the show.

It will be interesting on how it does in the coming weeks...

R~

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Very sad to watch... I'm not sure what's going to happen to the show but I'll miss John very much.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I only caught the last few minutes of the show, but I did see enough to know the subject appeared to have been properly treated.

As for the show itself, it could evolve from a comedy to a family drama similar to the mood of the old show "Eight Is Enough". It could still have some of the humour that made the original series very popular, but now it can move on to become a drama focused on a family that must now deal with life without their father/husband.

M*A*S*H went through a similar transition slowly but steadily, and the concept worked reasonably well for them. "Eight Simple Rules..." could become the first television show to actually survive such a transition overnight.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
:star: :star: :star: 1/2

I thought it was very tastefully done and moving - and I wasn't even in favor of keeping the show going. Katey Sagal and the kids were excellent, though you could argue that the tears were real. Veterans James Garner and Suzanne Pleshette were also superb. I was glad that they didn't use a laugh track - I wish they would dispense with it altogether. If the viewers stick around and the quality holds up, I think this show may surprise everyone.

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of tears came to my eyes during this episode, and I don't cry for TV or movies. I hadn't followed this show until now, or had been involved in the characters, but that was a very powerful, and sobering hour of television.

Ben

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I fear I missed the show. :frowning:

However, I heard a news report this morning that it got fantastic ratings. BUT, the reporter was very unimpressed with the airing. Especially with all the ads for the "Three's Company" DVD that is coming out. A little too vulture-ish for him. (and me...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.