8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter 11/04/2003

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lee Jamilkowski, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

I'm surprised no one's posted about this yet. Here are my thoughts that I posted at another board.

2. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

I don't cry at movies or tv shows.

I cried during this....enough said.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

No studio audience was brave of them. For once ABC made the riskier choice; I'm glad it has paid off for the followers of the show.

4. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I've never seen this show, but I meant to watch this episode. Unfortunately I forgot to record it. Damn. [​IMG]

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

It was a pretty well done show. I missed pieces of the first 5 minutes or so, I did see Cate get the phone call and run out the house. I was curious how they explain John Ritter's character's death? I heard the part where they said he went to get milk.

James Garner I thought was very good. They managed to pull off a nice upbeat ending. Must have been tough on all the actors, especially the kids.

Thanks.

6. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

Cate wanted Paul to get some groceries and he said, "Hasta la vista, baby." Then he went to the store and while in the third aisle, he collapsed.

Other than that, there's not much detail. Not that it is needed.

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Depressing...

Without Ritter, I don't see how they can re-introduce the humor of the show. Who will Bridget and Rory spar with?

8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks Lee.

9. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

The show beat everything in the ratings. A very fitting tribute, but it seems so empty. The coming weeks will determine whether the show can go on.

Chris

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I tuned in just to see if they'd be respectful enough to leave the damn ABC logo off the screen during the show- after a couple minutes of it not going away I turned it off. Commercials can at least be placed so they don't get in the way too much, but these logos REALLY kill whatever mood the show is trying to set. I still don't see how anyone can watch a show with these, and why the show producers allow their work to be ruined like this.

11. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

I try to watch the show, and not focus on the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

12. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I really appreciated the no audience/laugh track. It was wonderful to be uncomfortable during the whole show. As a Pastor I see this almost everyday, and it still makes my heart cry out for those that are effected by death.

Ditto...wonderful job and great way to show a wonderful man your love of him through "Goodbye".

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"I try to watch the show, and not focus on the lower right-hand corner of the screen."

That's the point- I can't watch the show without being distracted by it as it IS on the picture. As I mentioned in another thread, having a network logo during a show that has anything even remotely serious going on is as appropriate as playing carnival music during an emotional scene. This proves that there is NO class left in the TV business, and I'm glad I decided not to work in it.
    added: What if they also put up the words "Don't cry, it's only a TV show?"

14. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

My wife was in tears through the whole thing. I got misty eyed. I think maybe because it was real, if you know what I mean, good show.

I too also liked the fact there was no laugh track, that would of ruined the mood and tone of the show.

It will be interesting on how it does in the coming weeks...

R~

15. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Very sad to watch... I'm not sure what's going to happen to the show but I'll miss John very much.

16. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I only caught the last few minutes of the show, but I did see enough to know the subject appeared to have been properly treated.

As for the show itself, it could evolve from a comedy to a family drama similar to the mood of the old show "Eight Is Enough". It could still have some of the humour that made the original series very popular, but now it can move on to become a drama focused on a family that must now deal with life without their father/husband.

M*A*S*H went through a similar transition slowly but steadily, and the concept worked reasonably well for them. "Eight Simple Rules..." could become the first television show to actually survive such a transition overnight.

17. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    My wife also cried throught he whole thing, but managed to struggle through 24.

18. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I thought it was very tastefully done and moving - and I wasn't even in favor of keeping the show going. Katey Sagal and the kids were excellent, though you could argue that the tears were real. Veterans James Garner and Suzanne Pleshette were also superb. I was glad that they didn't use a laugh track - I wish they would dispense with it altogether. If the viewers stick around and the quality holds up, I think this show may surprise everyone.

19. Benjamin.D

Benjamin.D Stunt Coordinator

A couple of tears came to my eyes during this episode, and I don't cry for TV or movies. I hadn't followed this show until now, or had been involved in the characters, but that was a very powerful, and sobering hour of television.

Ben

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I fear I missed the show. [​IMG]

However, I heard a news report this morning that it got fantastic ratings. BUT, the reporter was very unimpressed with the airing. Especially with all the ads for the "Three's Company" DVD that is coming out. A little too vulture-ish for him. (and me...)