8 ohm vs 4 ohm Taps On Tube Amp- What To Listen For?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Edward, Sep 20, 2006.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

May 1, 2000
    Anyone with experience please advise me...

I just received my new Primaluna Prologue One, and am in the process of deciding which outputs to use. My speakers are nominally 6 ohms, and I would love to get some insight as to how the different outputs would potentially affect the sound. In other words, sloppy bass in one, strident treble in another? Etc., etc.

Each time I think I have a handle on it, I put in another recording that confounds my expectations. Ultimately, I know I should just trust my ears, but I'd love some guidance.

Speakers are Monitor Audio RS6- 90db efficiency, 6 ohm nominal impedance, with two 6" drivers and a tweeter.
    CD player is an Arcam CD192

Overall, my experience thus far has been very good. The one thing I did not expect, but am pleasantly surprised with, is how great this integrated amplifier sounds when played loudly.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    According to StereoPhile's review of this model, http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...ma/index3.html the output impedance of the 8 and 4 ohm taps are approximately 5.8 and 3.1 ohms respectively. What this means James is that the amp will also function as an equalizer whose cuts and boosts are directly related to the impedance curve of your speakers. If you use the 8 ohm tap, you'll get somewhat more frequency contouring. Perhaps the rest of the review article will shed some light on what setting might work best for your speakers.