8-OHM mains/surrounds, 4-OHM center

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Will.MA, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

Soon I will complete the purchase of a Cinepro 2k5II amplifier. The center channel I now own is no match for the hoards of power this thing generates. I need a new center that has high power handling and have narrowed the potential choices down. The M&K S-150 is my top choice. However it is a 4-OHM center and the rest of my loudspeaker suite are 8-OHM.

On a receiver I would NEVER mix loads because many of the resources contained in the amplifier section are shared. However, in the cinepro the center channel has its own board separate from the mains & surrounds. Given my limited knowledge of EE, I think this setup is OKAY for this reason. But before I invest a couple thousand into an amp, I want to make sure it isn't doomed to unstability before it makes it into my setup.

Can anyone tell me if this approach will work?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Mixing impedances is no different for a receiver than it is for any other amp, though most external amps will likely be able to handle a low impedance load more easily. As long as the amp can handle the impedance, it should not be an issue at all, especially if it is only one speaker.

My 3 mains are all 4 Ohm and my surrounds are 8 Ohm, though I am now running the main L&R off monoblocks.

3. Will.MA

Well, that maybe true for your Marantz, but again, that certainly isn't valid for most integrated amplifier solutions.

Anyone else, please?

4. Will.MA

Actually, that isn't even true for your Marantz SR8300. The minimum load it should have is 6-OHMs.

Before you recommend someone burn their receiver out prematurely by mating it with low impedance speakers, perhaps you should read a little more about your own. FYI, VERY FEW receivers can handle a 4-OHM load without adverse effects in the long run. Receivers not in the league of Marantz may see ill effects much sooner.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Get a clue. You ASKED, I ANSWERED. If you KNEW the answer, maybe you shouldn't have asked [​IMG]

ONE 4 Ohm speaker used with any decent amp will NOT cause a problem, unless you are going to be driving it at levels that will cause clipping/distortion. YES, you will be driving the amp a little harder, which MAY cause a greater strain on the receiver over an extended period, but we are not talking about cutting it's life span in half; that includes your Yamaha. You act like two different impedances is going to suddenly fry something, and that isn't the case.

An integrated amp and a receiver are not the same thing. I use a Marantz integrated also and it can handle 4 Ohm speakers just fine as well.

6. John S

John S Producer

Sorry Will.MA but the other John is correct here....

One 4 ohm channel is not even close to the same as all channels being at 4 ohms. I would venture to say all but the lowest end of mid fi AVR's will have no issues with it.