8 ohm mains 4 ohm center...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Robert V, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

Tomorrow I will receive a Kenwood 7070A receiver from Crutchfield for a H/T setup. Audes Souls will be used as front R/L, 8 ohm speakers. Audes makes a center speaker (The Sentral) but it is rated at 4 ohms. The Kenwood is rated for 8-16 ohm speakers, but I was wondering if it was possible to use the 4 ohm center with 8 ohm surrounds? Will this cause a volume mismatch between the 4 ohm and 8 ohm loads?

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Robert, you shouldn't have any trouble. You may have some loudness differences between the mains & center but that's what your level controls are for. Get yourself a SPL meter & a disk with some test tones & match everything up...

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It may make the receiver go into “protect” mode (i.e., shut down).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

I was concerned that the speaker might overheat and shut down with the mismatch in the speakers/loads. On the other hand, the 7070A has pre outs for all channels, so an external amp could be added later on. Thanks for the responses.

5. steve mm

steve mm Agent

You wont have any problems and if you did the protection mode would let you no .Just for example i run a denon 3802 and am running 7 dynas all at 4 ohm don't even get warm.Good luck