8" Mids- Dayton Quattro or Dayton Series II

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoeGibs, Aug 10, 2005.

1. JoeGibs

JoeGibs Stunt Coordinator

I've had a post going in the subwoofer/speaker section, and someone recommended that i post here for better results, as i'm doing DIY.

Now, this isnt for my home, this is for my jeep [​IMG] I know, i know, this is a home theater forum. but i figured you guys would know the specific products i'm looking at better than the car audio forum i frequent.

I'm planning on building a great front stage, and downgrading my subwoofer setup. I've been running two 15" titanic MKiii's, and i love them, its just i dont want to go deaf by age 25 so i figure its in my best interest to downgrade a little.

Here's what i have in mind. I already have a CDT HD-62 set which consists of a 6 1/2" mid, and a 1" tweeter. I'm using a US Amps 400x to power them.

What i want to add to that is an additional component set, the HD-42 which is a 4" mid and a 1" tweeter. Both sets have the appropriate crossovers to handle them. For power, i want to put a US Amps 600x on the hd-62 set, and the 400x i have on the hd-42 set. I also want to add the 8" mids which i'm currently trying to decide which to get. I love the dayton subs i have, so i figured the little brother's of the monsters i have now should be great additions to my front stage. I want to run the 8" mids from ~70 hz up to 300 hz. I'm still trying to figure out how to accomplish this without resorting to having to buy custom crossovers.

the choices-

[​IMG]
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=295-100&DID=7

and

[​IMG]
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=295-545&DID=7

as for the second one being 4 ohms, thats not a big issue. if i have two 8 ohm subs i'll just run a mono amp at 4 ohms.

i'm just wondering now which sounds better. the specs are similar, as is price. the quattro however is looking better. it requires less power and has more xmax, while the series II takes more power and has less xmax.

the original topic i posted in the subwoofer/speaker section can be found here
    http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...hreadid=239521

thanks for any help

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Most of the posts in this forum deal with DIY audio for home audio applications. Have you already tried a forum like caraudioforum.com which is more geared towards car audio and questions like yours?

3. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

I think most people around here go for the quattro because of what you said, more xmax less power. I would think they would do quite well for your application. I have never heard the 8" quattro but the 15" one is great for its price. You may want to hop over to PE's tech talk board and ask there. I believe there are more guys using them in cars over there. Good luck.