What's new

8/22 GRUMPY duo not anamorphic; anamorphic versions coming (Correction in Post #7) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well when and if, anamorphic OAR dvds of these come out, I'm all over them. Til then, I'll continue watching the lds, which may not be anamorphic, but at least they're OAR.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
At least we got some quick feedback on the situation. THat was kinda suprising and good to hear.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the "budget" and "deluxe" versions should've been announced at the same time.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Still says WS on the warner brothers link.
They admitted the oops yet can't change the webpage?
Huh?!?!? Are they trying to emulate Sony in the crappy DVD studio dept?

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that both of these movies might be in need of some restoration work! The region 2 dvd releases are anamorphic widescreen, but they actually look like transfers made ten years ago. The film sources are unusually dirty, the first movie has the whole frame jumping around and both are nearly filtered to death. I hope Warner USA does better with these movies when they're going to do a new transfer.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There actually WAS an anamorphic laserdisc of Grumpy Old Men, put out along with Free Willy and Unforgiven. I think they were given away with the purchase of some widescreen TVs, this was before DVD had come out. Of course, they would not unsqueeze for regular TVs, in fact an Incredible Universe store (now Fry's) often had the Free Willy LD playing squeezed on a 4x3 TV!

A few more of these came out in Japan.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

At least Warner should of correctly announced that the "budget" release is the same P&S edition as before. This really makes me unhappy since I've been waiting a LONG time for a proper OAR releas for these two on DVD. Warner at least owes us an expected time period, date, or whatever on when the "deluxe" edition will be coming after this blunder. Especially now since I have to return back a DVD set that to me is defective as CircuitCity.com just happened to shipped out my copy a few hours before the info was posted here on this change.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Between this and the issues with the picture quality of "The Searchers", could the quality control at Warners' be slipping? I must admit that now I'm afraid of what might happen with the upcoming Special Edition of "Body Heat".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And "Crossing Delancey" as well.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
anyone heard anything further about the OAR anamoephic release of these two titles?

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
It was said during the Warner chat earlier this year that we are getting them later this year..... kinda like what they said last year too.

Until its in my hands. And at this point.... they better release it the same day on HD-DVD since they made us wait this long.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I have to wonder if Warner still plans on keeping their "promise" by releasing OAR versions of these movies. It was just over 2 years ago when Ron posted the statement and still.......nothing. These are some of my favorite movies (especially the first) but I refuse to buy the FF versions. I just wonder how much longer we'll have to wait.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thank God for laserdisc (which I've burned to dvd). But still, I really want to get a real dvd (or blu-ray) of this in OAR.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I thought these would have been naturals to come out during the Burgess Meredith centennial celebration last year but, alas, it didn't happen.

It's hard to believe that it's been 15 years since the first one came out; it (and the sequel) still makes me laugh out loud each time I see it.

If the long rumored special editions ever come to fruition, I will buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks