8/22 GRUMPY duo not anamorphic; anamorphic versions coming (Correction in Post #7)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley-E, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

According to DVD EMPIRE the GRUMPY/GRUMPIER OLD MEN Double Feature re-issue is the same crappy FULL FRAME transfers as before. There had been speculation that they were remastered and on the Warner chat they hinted that they were considering remastering them. This really sucks. Warner is nearly perfect except for the treatment of some of their earlier titles. FEARLESS and BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY anyone?

2. JohnMcCallum

JohnMcCallum Extra

Um...it says widescreen anamorphic underneath video, unless I am looking at the wrong one.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=249914

And if you are basing that on the back of the box, I wouldn't worry about it, we all remeber the Ghostbusters fiasco, where the box art said full screen. Also if you look at Amazon, they list it as widescreen also.

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

It's hard to know what to believe. The packaging has the DOUBLE mistake of saying "FF" for both films (if these are really Widescreen)....whereas WB's own site claims "Widescreen 16x9" for this double-feature. But that site isn't always correct either in the "WS 16x9" regard....because "The American President" was re-released in May with what the WB webpage for that product (which no longer exists) specifically said was a 16x9 re-release, but it turned out to be the same non-anamorphic deal from 1999.

So .... [​IMG]

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=14923

[​IMG]

4. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

This is ridiculous all these movies being incorrectly marked and incorrectly marketed. [​IMG]

5. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

If this turns out to be true and these are indeed the same shitty 1.33:1 open-matte transfers again, I predict that Warner Bros. will catch a lot of heat on this and rightfully so. What the hell? We've been waiting years for 1.85:1 16x9 enhanced transfers. WB said they were coming in 16x9, their site says 16x9, but the back cover says full screen. These classic Walter Matthau/Jack Lemmon films don't deserve this shoddy treatment.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

ATTENTION

Seems that you guys made noise loud enough to be heard
    at Warner Brothers.

Here is information that I have just been relayed....

7. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I was so excited about getting this. I thought for sure these would've been widescreen releases. However, it's great to know that deluxe editions are in the works for the films. Question is............when? I've waited this long, so I have no problem waiting a little longer for 16x9 transfers. I'll just have to get the "Ace Ventura" set to tide me over in the meantime. [​IMG]

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

That's very nice to hear indeed. But it still doesn't take the bad taste out of the ol' mouth re. this upcoming August 22, 2006, "Double Feature", which is a release that has been advertised as "Widescreen 16x9" right on WB's own website!

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=14923

The only reason I pre-ordered this title to begin with was due to the "WS 16x9" data that accompanied it (as I'm sure is the case with every single HTFer who also pre-ordered this now-worthless title). Had I known that yet another (later) edition was coming, I certainly would have passed on this 08/22/06 release (even if it DID turn out to be WS, which it isn't, making this all the more a useless/wasted re-release).

Why on EARTH can't WB's OWN website get the data right? I don't get it. As mentioned earlier, they screwed up "The American President" the same way, re-releasing the same FF version that's already out....making that purchase, too, completely worthless. [​IMG] [​IMG]

(BTW -- IMO, the title of this thread should not have been changed to "Will Be Anamorphic". It should be changed back to the original poster's title version, because it's referring to the 08/22/06 Double-Feature, not any down-the-road version yet to be announced. Or, better still, change the thread title to -- "GRUMPY DOUBLE FEATURE WILL NOT BE WIDESCREEN AT ALL!" .... That's even more appropriate here. The way it reads after Ron's modification is totally misleading, because people are obviously going to be thinking that the Aug. 2006 Grumpy disc "Will Be Anamorphic"...which just ain't so.)

And I'm also a bit confused by the blurb Ron posted above re. the "Hi Def" part. Does that mean they'll be remastered in HD on SD-DVD...or will they be true HD-DVD titles (which would make it, for me, a third separate "Grumpy" release to get grumpy about)?

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thread title modification noted.

Thanks Ron. [​IMG]

Now...what about that "American President" Special Edition, with the "Virtual White House Tour" that I've been wanting? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Does that mean the Special Editions will not be in Standard DVD but being by-passed for HIGH DEF? I am not ready to jump to the next level of format.

11. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Ok, now I'm worried. There is another WB Double Feature being released next Tuesday which I've anxiously been waiting for. "Moving" and "Greased Lightning". It was stated previously that this double feature would indeed be widescreen, but going by the statement Ron provided above from Warner, I have to wonder if this will suffer the same fate as the "Grumpy Old Men" double feature.

I've never seen "Greased Lightning" but "Moving" is a title I've wanted for YEARS on DVD. I'll be extremely disappointed if it isn't OAR.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It seems like all the new transfers they've been doing are 16x9, as most of their recently-done catalog titles don't even include foolscreen versions anymore. With the double features though they seem to just re-use whatever they already have, like in this case. Even more frustrating though is how they've decided to use the foolscreen versions when the separate discs had both, like Neverending Story.

13. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

GREASED LIGHTNING and MOVING are OAR and so are CONTACT/SPHERE, PURE COUNTRY/HONEYSUCKLE ROSE

14. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I hope I'm wrong (I'm pretty sure I am), but I've suspected for some time that some of the studios might start slagging off on their standard DVD releases to make the HD and Blu-Ray discs more desirable. I hope they're not going to ultimately save the "good treatment" for those.

15. Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann Supporting Actor

Thanks loads WB!!! My Grumpy/Grumpier just shipped from DDD by media mail so now I've got to wait a couple weeks to receive it, then ship it back unopened "return to sender" & wait another couple weeks (IF I'm lucky) for DDD to credit my charge card. Friggin' weasels.

16. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Thanks for the news, Ron. Their website should be corrected, since it is obviously incorrect. However, I have no problem with the "budget" releases being out there either. Makes perfect sense to me. They packaged up a budget release (think Wal-Mart) and then later decided to release a "proper" version later due to demand. It would appear their PR/web team didn't note the two different versions.

I'll be picking up an anamorphic "Grumpy" when it is made available.

Thanks, WB for taking the time to reply to the concerns regarding the "Grumpy" releases. [​IMG]

And

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Same here... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Brian Little

Brian Little Stunt Coordinator

Mine is going back too. Warner had better release this deluxe or whatever edition it is THIS YEAR especially after this blunder. I'm pissed.

(But at least for now my Letterbox LDs will still be worth something lol)

19. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Glad I was alerted to this, as I had my pre-order in also.

I like the idea of the double-feature package like this in a single keepcase. It's convenient and WB managed to keep it looking good as well.

I hope the 16x9 transfers surface soon as I've been looking forward to owning these great movies for a long time now!