What's new

7th GUEST / 11th HOUR quest (1 Viewer)

Michael_Y

Grip
I'm not sure if this belongs here or should be posted elsewhere, but anyway: As a fan of puzzle/adventure games I've always wanted to play the above classics, ever since I saw 7th Guest played at a friend's PC back in the early 90s. Since it was designed for DOS and when I eventually bought my first PC it ran under Windows 98, I couldn't get it to play and eventually sold the game. Yesterday, while browsing at the video game section of Amazon.com , I came across the title and the relevant page claimed it runs on Windows 98/2000. I assumed then that an updated version was released sometime these years that could actually run on today's systems. So, does anybody know for sure whether this classic can be played under one of the latest OS, since with childhood memories resurfacing I'm now eager to order the title ASAP? Same question regarding The 11th Hour (the sequel). Thanks in advance.

Michael

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I don't offhand, but try the Virgin website or do a google search on it. Some people have special tricks you can use to run games under newer operating systems.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I had a hard time with them on XP, and ended up using my roommates 98 (I think) just to circumvent the troubles. Good luck to you, I loved these games too, as I revisited them recently. Have you ever played them? I thought 7th Guest had some easy puzzles, while some on the 11th Hour were ridiculously hard (especially some of the anagrams and word puzzles, and the damn piano game) but overall they were both fun, had cool storylines, and graphics that now may look old but are still engaging. Enjoy!

Chris

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
there is a windows version of 7th guest available for $10 at most B&M stores in the jewel case section.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I played through both of these about a year and a half ago on 98 without too many problems. I believe that there was a patch for both of them that allowed you to run more successfully under windows. There's also a program available called VDMSound, that works under XP to solve sound issues in DOS games that I've found works quite well for some older stuff. If you're still under 98 (or have a FAT formatted XP drive), the other option is to make a DOS boot disk (there are images that you can find online), and boot with that. This was the only way that I could get Sam and Max hit the road to run under 98, and might help you with the 7th guest.

Good luck with it though-both great games, and some really tricky (but cool) puzzles. Except for the microscope one-that was just evil, and as far as I'm concerned, impossible.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
The microscope puzzle is widely hailed as one of the most notoriously unfair puzzles ever, and with good reason ;). I just cheated past it and went on. Using the book just once won't affect the ending and I didn't care to futz around with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks