What's new

7ES/4ES and adjusting speaker levels (1 Viewer)

Gary_R

Agent
I just bought a Sony STR-DA7ES at clearance prices, using it as a pre/pro to replace my aging 9000ES preamplifier, only to find I can find no reasonable way to adjust the surround speaker levels using the test tones. The remote (TP1) has adjustments only for center and sub. There are no screen controls for the surrounds--r/l/back r/back l.

When the test tone is generated, you can change the control to "fix," but the user has to scroll through five or six receiver display screens--using the right arrow on the receiver hidden panel--to get to the individual speaker adjustment for the surrounds. Is this convoluted way the only way to adjust speakers levels? There is nothing in the manual about adjusting individual levels with the test tone.

Gary

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Use the tones and write down the changes you need to make on a piece of paper, then go into the level menu and change them. Repeat if necessary. Considering how infrequently you need to recalibrate your system it shouldn't be a big deal.

Gary_R

Agent
Thanks. Seth. That's what I did do. I don't understand why Sony ES changed its method for what seems an inconvenient procedure, but at least I know that's the only way to calibrate them now. Thanks again.

Gary

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I spent yesterday afternoon setting up my new 4ES and I must agree that its not the most convient way to set the levels but once they're set you shouldnt have to mess with them much (except I change my sub setting frequently).

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
You don't need to use the "fix" mode, and you don't need to use the controls on the front of the receiver.

After getting into the Levels menu and turning on the test tone (normal mode), it will begin its round-robin of the various channels. When it hits a channel that you want to adjust, use the cursor keys on the remote to scroll to the level control for that channel and begin adjusting (should be screen 3/5 of the amp controls on the RM-TP1). It doesn't matter that the receiver has since begun playing the test tone in another channel... once you adjust a specific channel, it will play the test tone in that one instead. After you stop adjusting for a couple seconds, it continues the round-robin, and you can adjust the remaining channels. Rinse and repeat.

Gary_R

Agent
Thanks. Aaron. I thought that was what I originally did, but I did not notice any change in level while the display and tone were mismatched. I'll try it again. So at all times you're using the cursor keys (screen 3 of the amp on the TP1), Aaron--right arrow for switching to the "level" receiver screen for the individual channel and the up/down arrows for gain adjustments?

By the way, how do you like the TP1?

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks