What's new

Pre-Order 78/52: Hitchcock's Shower Scene (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
192777_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I wish there was more information on what's contained on the disc.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I really appreciate that they're starting to sell the supplemental material separately from the movie now. All I ever want is the film, and this way I don't have to pay more for a talking head documentary I'll never watch. I'm sure this stuff is valuable to other people. It's good that they can get both. I'm happy with just the film. win win.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I really appreciate that they're starting to sell the supplemental material separately from the movie now. All I ever want is the film, and this way I don't have to pay more for a talking head documentary I'll never watch. I'm sure this stuff is valuable to other people. It's good that they can get both. I'm happy with just the film. win win.

Exactly. That's why I have no interest in this disc.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
When I buy a movie, I want all the bonus materials available. Some discs don't have ANYTHING, and that's too bad. Bonus features only enhance the film. Granted some are much better than others. Some films have a ton and multiple discs. I like that! Criterion has even given us OTHER films as bonuses... that's pretty cool.

But I shouldn't have to pay extra to get a bonus disc. That's just unfair. This is not that case; it was produced AFTER the fact, and was not intended to come with the Film's disc by Universal.

But I am going to get it because it gives a terrific appreciation for, arguably, one of the, if not THE most famous scenes in all filmdom.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
78/52? What does that mean? I suppose one of the numbers is the number of cuts, but I’m guessing. I’d like to have this, but I’ll wait for the price to drop.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It's in reference to the shower scene: 78 shots/52 edits. This just started last night at the Music Box Theater in Chicago yesterday. Hopefully will catch it this weekend.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
78/52? What does that mean? I suppose one of the numbers is the number of cuts, but I’m guessing. I’d like to have this, but I’ll wait for the price to drop.

I believe the 78 represents the number of shots/edits and the 52 represents the number of seconds of screen time the scene lasts.

The scope and 91 minute discussion of how those 52 seconds of screen time changed the movies and our minds forever on some important levels would be an awesome bonus on a PSYCHO disc to be sure. But it is also potentially interesting enough to have warranted a theatrical release all its own in some cities and now a disc. It really does seem to be much more than your ordinary bonus tidbit specific to just one movie, even the movie it comes from.

I would be happy to see this in a theater or on a disc of its own.

Now, if anyone wants to WOW me with something wonderful on a regular PSYCHO disc, my first request would be to restore it to its original theatrical state and replace the missing frames and seconds that were cut from it for television censorship requirements back in the (as I recall) late 1960s. What we have been seeing on virtually every presentation since then except for (I think) a German VHS version of it has been that edited/censored late '60s television version of it and NOT the one we saw in its original 1960 release, the one that triggered all of this interest and discussion about it in the first place. The frames and seconds of time edited out were in scenes involving what Norman/we saw from his POV through the peephole as Marion was undressing and changing into her robe and the bloody hands Norman/we saw from his POV during the post-shower clean up scene.

Hitchcock shot those scenes that way and kept those frames in there for a reason, likely carefully had them edited to his precise direction in those precise places for the sake of the audience's emotional impact as much if not more than in any of his other movies. Yet what we are left with now and have been left with since the late '60s is someone else's idea of what everyone ought to see in those scenes regardless of age, maturity or allegiance to artistic integrity having nothing to do with keeping it "family friendly" for a late 1960s free television station audience.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hitchcock shot those scenes that way and kept those frames in there for a reason, likely carefully had them edited to his precise direction in those precise places for the sake of the audience's emotional impact as much if not more than in any of his other movies.
Do you have a credible source for that info? By no means am I an expert but as far as I know, the footage was cut prior to the theatrical release. I can't imagine that an undisputed classic like Psycho has only been seen in a TV edited version for the last five decades & virtually no one knows that and I can't believe that Universal hasn't used the restoration of any deleted footage to re-release it yet again.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I believe the 78 represents the number of shots/edits and the 52 represents the number of seconds of screen time the scene lasts.

The scope and 91 minute discussion of how those 52 seconds of screen time changed the movies and our minds forever on some important levels would be an awesome bonus on a PSYCHO disc to be sure. But it is also potentially interesting enough to have warranted a theatrical release all its own in some cities and now a disc. It really does seem to be much more than your ordinary bonus tidbit specific to just one movie, even the movie it comes from.

I would be happy to see this in a theater or on a disc of its own.

Now, if anyone wants to WOW me with something wonderful on a regular PSYCHO disc, my first request would be to restore it to its original theatrical state and replace the missing frames and seconds that were cut from it for television censorship requirements back in the (as I recall) late 1960s. What we have been seeing on virtually every presentation since then except for (I think) a German VHS version of it has been that edited/censored late '60s television version of it and NOT the one we saw in its original 1960 release, the one that triggered all of this interest and discussion about it in the first place. The frames and seconds of time edited out were in scenes involving what Norman/we saw from his POV through the peephole as Marion was undressing and changing into her robe and the bloody hands Norman/we saw from his POV during the post-shower clean up scene.

Hitchcock shot those scenes that way and kept those frames in there for a reason, likely carefully had them edited to his precise direction in those precise places for the sake of the audience's emotional impact as much if not more than in any of his other movies. Yet what we are left with now and have been left with since the late '60s is someone else's idea of what everyone ought to see in those scenes regardless of age, maturity or allegiance to artistic integrity having nothing to do with keeping it "family friendly" for a late 1960s free television station audience.

I'm old enough :( to have seen Psycho in its theatrical run before it was ever shown on television. The present version of Psycho in its blu ray and DVD incarnations is what I saw in a theater. Or are you suggesting Psycho was edited during its theatrical run?

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I'm old enough :( to have seen Psycho in its theatrical run before it was ever shown on television. The present version of Psycho in its blu ray and DVD incarnations is what I saw in a theater. Or are you suggesting Psycho was edited during its theatrical run?

If you look at the peephole sequence in the latest DVD/Blu-ray versions you have, you will hear a "rush" to the next violin strain note in Bernard Hermann's background music, essentially a jump in the soundtrack, the instant Janet Leigh is about to reach for the waist band of her slip during the peephole scene. It is a "rush" without a pause to the next music note that is not typical of the mood at that moment and not as it plays in a music only recorded version of the soundtrack. That is where some visual footage was removed after the soundtrack had been applied and well after its theatrical run.

You remember back in 1960 when she reached for the waistband of her slip to remove it, right? How about that huge groan of nervous disappointment from the men in the audience when she reached up to unhook her bra, was in the process of removing it but Hitchcock's editing took us back to a shot of Norman's eye at the peephole before we saw what we thought we were about to see? I certainly remember that. And I enjoyed hearing it the 3-4 times I re-watched PSYCHO in Ohio and California theaters over the next couple of years.

But now there is no reason an audience would think for one second that we might see Janet Leigh's bare breasts in that sequence. In fact she is not even shown reaching for the waistband of her slip in latest latest DVD/Blu-ray version you have nor in any (U.S) theatrical or television version we have seen since the late 1960s. Her hand doesn't even come within 5 inches of her waistband now.

The other cut was either to shorten a more extended shot or to remove an additional shot of Norman's bloody hands as he looks down at them right after he drags Marion's body onto the spread out shower curtain. There is more of a natural gap in the background music and effects during that sequence to mask the later edit so it is not so noticeable.

There had been a detailed discussion of those edits online and I must humbly admit I have not been able to find it yet. But I am still searching. In that discussion there are screen shots of the German VHS version where the original length of the shots remain.

LATE EDIT (haha). Ok, here is a link to that discussion.
http://www.movie-censorship.com/special.php?ID=9&Page=2
Oddly enough, the uncensored version is not entirely lost. Years ago, it aired on German Free TV. Possibly in other countries as well. It is hard to get your hands on this uncensored TV version these says because the last time it aired was 10 years ago. Maybe, people in other countries are not that misfortunate. Anyway, any release on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray only contains the censored international version.

And this one:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1921

I did not get every detail of this discussion right from memory. For instance, the missing shots were shown on German television, not on a German VHS tape, that came from the original theatrical release of PSYCHO. And, yes, the passage of many decades did effect my memory of her reaching for the waistband of her slip. It was the unhooking and near removal of her bra that she was about to reach for and became the big "groan" moment when Hitch cut back to Norman's eye. I probably only assumed she reached for the waistband of her slip after seeing the many televised and DVD/Blu-ray versions of it so often where now we never see her left hand rise about the waistband. It turns out she was about to reach up to unhook her bra, not to her slip's waistband. And then there is the issue of the two additional stabs with the knife on Detective Arbogast that might not be on the latest DVD/Blu-ray versions either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks