What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
TINY TIDBIT

images

Byron Foulger will always be remembered as the perpetual worry-wart character in films and TV. Apparently he was not such a weenie in real life. Once, at a Hollywood party, he threatened to punch swashbuckler Errol Flynn in the kisser for flirting with his wife (actress Dorothy Adams). As a peace-loving Mormon from Ogden, Utah, I can only assume Byron was somewhat emboldened by alcohol consumption.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Ya know, Jim, it just might be--although Google Images swears otherwise. But it wouldn't be the first time I've been caught in an error and pointed out. It's become a bit of a sport in this thread.

Russ, I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I don't want it to become a controversy. Personally, it looked like Whitney Blake to me at first, but after careful examination I think it does look like a very young Kim Novak, although I wouldn't swear to it. I think of Novak as a bit more padded, as in Lutz's photo.

But if you right-click on the image in Chrome and select "Search Google for Image," this is the first result:

Google Kim Novak.jpg

My point is that Google is an inconstant friend, especially as regards their image search. Never take their image search results without a pinch of salt, because they rely upon the context in which they are found, which is often flawed.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I don't want it to become a controversy. Personally, it looked like Whitney Blake to me at first, but after careful examination I think it does look like a very young Kim Novak, although I wouldn't swear to it. I think of Novak as a bit more padded, as in Lutz's photo.

But if you right-click on the image in Chrome and select "Search Google for Image," this is the first result:

View attachment 48462
My point is that Google is an inconstant friend, especially as regards their image search. Never take their image search results without a pinch of salt, because they rely upon the context in which they are found, which is often flawed.
Yo Rob my good friend--you consider this a possible controversy? Personally, I'm surprised yet delighted that one of my many posted errors brings people out of the grainy woodwork of our thread to voice their thoughts. It's like the boulevard of opinion suddenly has all green traffic lights.

This has given rise for me to initiate a crazy idea I've been toying with over the past few weeks with which to follow through. I don't think anyone has tried it before. Am I being cryptic? You bet. Stay tuned.

BTW--I really don't care if it's Whitney Blake, Kim Novak or Buster Crabbe.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yo Rob my good friend--you consider this a possible controversy? Personally, I'm surprised yet delighted that one of my many posted errors brings people out of the grainy woodwork of our thread to voice their thoughts. It's like the boulevard of opinion suddenly has all green traffic lights.

This has given rise for me to initiate to a crazy idea I've been toying with over the past few weeks with which to follow through. I don't think anyone has tried it before. Am I being cryptic? You bet. Stay tuned.

Send it to Kim Novak and get the definitive answer.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

This has given rise for me to initiate a crazy idea I've been toying with over the past few weeks with which to follow through. I don't think anyone has tried it before. Am I being cryptic? You bet. Stay tuned.

Ahhh crap. I was gonna go with Buster Crabbe.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Russ, I think I speak for many of us here in expressing my gratitude for all your thoroughly entertaining and informative posts...all of that and more, with such wry wit in your delightful insights! I appreciate the obvious effort that has gone into your postings here, and thank you for rekindling our interest in all things 77...as I am only "cool" by association to you cool cats on the boulevard of our retro dreams, I am really diggin' it!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, I think I speak for many of us here in expressing my gratitude for all your thoroughly entertaining and informative posts...all of that and more, with such wry wit in your delightful insights! I appreciate the obvious effort that has gone into your postings here, and thank you for rekindling our interest in all things 77...as I am only "cool" by association to you cool cats on the boulevard of our retro dreams, I am really diggin' it!
Very kind, Randy. Thank you.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I can't verify if this was previously mentioned, but I came across it this morning...

The first thing you'll see is a trivia question from the show, but
they answer it immediately, so here's the question you can see
if you know the answer to before starting the video...

"The name of the maitre'd at Dino's restaurant next door to
77 Sunset Strip was..."

Can anyone identify the episode that they show a clip of...?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The beam came to me! Don't tune me out. It's the weekend! Are you deep down blue? After a dark seven any of you mushroom people want to go out tonight to the Cloud Nine Dance Hall and do the twist? Listen to the little men!
___

I just love this clip. One reason I like a lot of these Warner Bros. detective series is they always found time for some wonderful musical interludes. (Also a rights problem for video releases, though.) Imagine any show nowadays stopping to show a 2 1/2 minute dance sequence for the sheer joy of it! Movies used to do that, too.

A commenter on the youtube video wrote: "Edd Byrnes is dancing with his wife, Asa Mayner."

EDIT: See Bob's post below...
Edd is actually dancing with Grace Lee Whitney.

One of you in the know can tell me what episode this is from!

I'm still sending...For some added enjoyment, pull up another tab and find a video of Chubby Checker singing "The Twist" and use that for the sound instead of the original episode music. It works, too. You're getting the beat!

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The beam came to me! Don't tune me out. It's the weekend! Are you deep down blue? After a dark seven any of you mushroom people want to go out tonight to the Cloud Nine Dance Hall and do the twist? Listen to the little men!
___

I just love this clip. One reason I like a lot of these Warner Bros. detective series is they always found time for some wonderful musical interludes. (Also a rights problem for video releases, though.) Imagine any show nowadays stopping to show a 2 1/2 minute dance sequence for the sheer joy of it! Movies used to do that, too.

A commenter on the youtube video wrote: "Edd Byrnes is dancing with his wife, Asa Mayner."

One of you in the know can tell me what episode this is from!

I'm still sending...For some added enjoyment, pull up another tab and find a video of Chubby Checker singing "The Twist" and use that for the sound instead of the original episode music. It works, too. You're getting the beat!

Crazy, man!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Martin, the dance clip is from, "Penthouse on Skid Row", S4E18. Edd is actually dancing with Grace Lee Whitney. View attachment 48478
I can't help but notice Roger Smith standing with his back turned (kinda like he's in time-out), displaying the perfect amount of collar and cuffs peeking out from his well-fitted English-style double-vented suit coat. Very Cary Grant-ish. Shoes, however, look a bit dusty.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer

AMEN, Randall! Russ, if it weren't for you, I would have utterly blanked on the essential coolness of 77 Sunset Strip. And I would have missed a great deal of what is so phenomenally wonderful about this show: it was cool then, and it is cool now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks