1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Yes, I think if I were a director I'd love those backlot sets, just for the control I'd have over the set, in terms of access and dressing.

And thanks, Bob, for the movie tip. That's one that has escaped our attention. EDIT: Oh wait, what am I talking about? I had forgotten about Never Say Goodbye, but we do have it, and yeah, it's another fun Flynn comedy. And as you say, the film is very easy on the eyes.

Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  2. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    One of the major takeaways for Wifey and I from our watching of 77SS has been an appreciation for Montgomery Pittman's singular talents. This has led us to start watching Sugarfoot, because Will Hutchins is as laudatory regarding Pittman as was Zimbalist, and happily that show, at least, is available on DVD.

I tried to find an ongoing forum thread specifically for Sugarfoot, or for the WB westerns, but was unsuccessful. Can anyone here smarten me up in this regard?

3. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    There are lots of old threads about the Warner westerns and their DVD announcements, but none really took off.

At this point, Rob I'd say rather than latch on to an old thread, start a new one for SUGARFOOT and shepherd it along with your observations or questions as you watch each episode

Blimpoy06, Lutz Koch, Jack K and 3 others like this.
  4. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Bob, thanks for that excellent suggestion! But I may take it in a bit of a different direction. What I'd really like to talk about with folks is Montgomery Pittman's work. As you've likely noticed here lately, I've become just a little obsessed with Pittman from my enjoyment of 77SS. I've started watching Sugarfoot largely because of Hutchins' reverence of Pittman, and some specific comments he made to WB brass regarding his work for Sugarfoot.

Essentially, Hutchins said that Pittman showed an understanding of the character that spoke directly to what Hutchins always strove to bring to it, and that he believed an increased involvement of Pittman with the show was necessary to keep it from failing. This was about halfway through the show's run.

Those here who have not seen Sugarfoot should not judge Hutchins' talent from his silly appearances on 77SS. At least through the first half-dozen episodes, his work on his starring show is excellent. Think Destry meets Cheyenne. That's what Sugarfoot essentially is.

But enough with the off-topic stuff.

5. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    AC69B63B-69BA-4884-AD2A-9CDC45FB2242.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Regarding the film I Love Trouble, I have seen it in a decent copy on cable (most likely TCM) within the past dozen-or-so years. Not a pristine copy, but a watchable one. Of course, it was some time before the name "Stu Bailey" had meaning for me, but then, I have always been a Franchot Tone fan, and for that matter, a Janet Blair fan.

My point is, keep a weather eye out on cable for the film. Absent the restored print, there is a decent print in circulation somewhere, and it is bound to surface sometime.

Gary16, Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  7. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    There’s a guy on eBay selling a dvd for $2.99 but no indication where it’s sourced from plus he has a lot of negative comments re his service.

criblecoblis and Flashgear like this.
  8. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    A35C6346-00B7-40A2-B96E-CD92F4289F60.

Lutz Koch, Bob Gu, Rustifer and 3 others like this.
  9. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Wow, Gary, this is great! Thanks for posting it. Do you have this TV Guide issue?

Gary16 and Rustifer like this.
  10. Message #1170 of 2005 Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Quick update on my Montgomery Pittman research: based on three data points, he was born in 1920 in Oklahoma City, not 1917 in Arkansas, as he said. I've found no evidence he ever lived in Arkansas, but his parents did.

Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  11. Message #1171 of 2005 Apr 19, 2018
    Rustifer

Rustifer Supporting Actor

Russ
    I feel like I've been somewhat MIA from this thread over the past few days. Although I'm mostly retired, I'm not yet entirely--so my company now and again tosses a project at me that sucks all the air from my free time balloon. In addition, Wifey is in Pennsylvania for the week so I'm left to herd our menagerie of pets who have no end to their need for attention.
    But enough of my excuses. I did carve out some time last night to watch "Jennifer", which I was going to proclaim as the only single word title in the 77 SS series. But I knew that Gary would instantly spot check me on this, so I researched it myself only to find that there are at least nine other single word titles. It is the only single Personal Name title, though.

This episode starts out promisingly with a neat-o actual location of an LA estate on a cliff overlooking the ocean. While Jennifer (Claire Griswold) is cavorting down there in the sand, her husband Tristan is above waving to her and suddenly takes a diving face plant to his death. Jennifer is justifiably freaked because her father had also died in a freak accident. So she hightails it to Tristan's family chateau in France.
    Jeff Spencer (with a "c") is hired by her Trustee, Gilbert Cannon (Donald Woods), to find her and make sure she's okay. A paid trip to France suits him just fine. I got the feeling that the trip from LA to Paris is only a few miles away and can be arrived at in an hour.

upload_2018-4-19_8-54-6. [​IMG] upload_2018-4-19_9-2-0.
    Claire Griswold, Donald Woods, Lili Valenty (she also does a great gypsy)

Jeff checks into the Marivaux Chateau and is confronted by the stately and very uptight Marquesa Marivaux (Lili Valenty), who introduces him to Jennifer. But is it the real jennifer? Rounding out this little troupe is Tristan's younger brother Eduoard Marivaux who is fond of wearing trench coats and entering and leaving the Chateau via vine covered walls under his bedroom window. Apparently it helps to be drunk while undertaking this activity--as he often is.
    Eventually revealed is the fact that the Marivaux family is broke and relying on Jennifer's considerable wealth to keep them afloat in chateaubriand and champagne. Jennifer is conflicted when being forced by the Marquesa to marry Eduoard, not willing to spend her life picking up his drunken form off the lawn every morning.
    Gilbert the Trustee shows up to attest to Jennifer's identity, announce his love for her, and reveal that he killed both her father and her husband and why. Money is the root of all evil, so they say. Jeff convinces Jennifer to come back to the States where English is spoken periodically and martinis are sipped often.
    I thought a while about this episode, then decided that it was essentially kinda boring. I generally expect more out of Jeff Spencer (with a "c") capers. Plus it has that slight taint (my opinion) of being an international episode.

TIDBIT NOTE
    : Claire Griswold was married to director Sydney Pollack from 1958 until his death in 2011.

Lutz Koch, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  12. Message #1172 of 2005 Apr 19, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    I've been looking for the Mad Magazine edition that supposedly has a spoof of 77 Sunset Strip. I think it's in this issue:

upload_2018-4-19_9-27-26.
    I did find it on ebay--and it does appear to have a spoof on 77 SS! The original cost 25 cents in 1960.

As an aside:
    My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year, and I never know how to answer that. Unless she wants to splurge on a Porsche, there's really nothing I need at this point in my life. She knew I had a stash of old Mad magazines that I adored when I was younger, so she got me a subscription. Let me tell you--today's Mad is a very poor representation of what it used to be. In the first place, it's printed on slick stock and all pages are in full color. It worked so much better in black and white. It also has developed a serious bent on political satire as opposed to TV and movie send-ups, as in the Perry Mason panel below. And remember how the MAD masthead had all those wonderful scrolling characters inside the typeface? No more.

upload_2018-4-19_9-33-36. [​IMG] [​IMG] upload_2018-4-19_9-42-40.

I truly miss the artwork of Mort Drucker, Jack Davis, Bob Clarke et al. And all the fake product ads. None of that exists in the issues today.
    Sorry to get off subject. I just needed to vent. Us old duffers never think things are as good as they used to be.

13. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Yes I do. Here’s the TV Guide closeup for the premiere.

4755850E-AE14-4CF7-9F86-2F222D3A32A9.

Attached Files:

14. Message #1174 of 2005 Apr 19, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    Mr. Pittman's birthplace apparently is not easy to pin down. According to Find A Grave (pleasant name for a site) at
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68560631/montgomery-pittman , Montogmery Pittman was born in Louisiana and raised in Oklahoma.

15. Rustifer

Russ
    WOW! Trackdown is listed. With Robert Culp, it was one of the original "thinking man's westerns"...

16. Rustifer

Russ
    I published this site several posts ago. It has a lot of Will Hutchins thoughts on his series, other tv shows, actors and whatever pops into his head. I found it extremely entertaining and informative.
    http://www.westernclippings.com/hutch/hutch_2018_3.shtml

17. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    That TV Guide page is very interesting. Note how some shows are marked "(Film)". ELLERY QUEEN is listed as "(Hollywood)", and in Color! Was it live?.

Looking at the next page edge you can see that one of the CBS stations CH 27 declined to show THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW/Sgt. Bilko in favor of something else. MAN WITH A CAMERA was on between WALT DISNEY PRESENTS and 77 SUNSET STRIP. THE THIN MAN followed M SQUAD.

18. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, that was what induced me to start looking for Pittman's non-77SS work, and ultimately to take the plunge and get the full seasons of Sugarfoot on DVD. Thank you for that!

Flashgear likes this.
  19. Message #1179 of 2005 Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    That account is taken straight from IMDb. Pittman's own narrative is that he was born "somewhere in the farmlands of Arkansas," as Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. (who got his account straight from Pittman) phrased it.

Now, the evidence I have does not preclude Pittman's having been born in Louisiana on March 1, 2017. But I can tell you that on February 3, 1920, Pittman's family were recorded in the Census in Walden Township, Grady County, Oklahoma, and Montgomery is not listed. Pittman himself said his birthdate was 3-1-20 on his draft registration, which is consistent with his not being listed in the family's 1920 census.

It is possible Pittman was born in Louisiana. But it at this point in my research does not seem likely.

EDIT: In his entry in the 1940 Census, he is listed as 20 years old, and his birthplace is listed as Oklahoma. He was in Oklahoma City at the time, living with his sister Joni/Johnnie. I would conclude that a preponderance of the evidence now points towards his having been born in OK on 3-1-20.

20. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    THANKS! I was hoping you'd post that!

Gary16 likes this.