What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (5 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
In "The Missing Daddy Caper", Dino's former hatcheck girl Ginny (Shary Marshall) has a baby and dubs Kookie as godfather to the kid. Her hubby Chet (Bob Hogan) is accidently photographed asleep in the maternity waiting room and his photo in the daily news is recognized by mobster and Al Capone wanna-be Sam Treynor (Bernie Fein). Chet has a checkered past and is blamed for Sam's brother's death from a bank robbery gone bad 10 years earlier. Following this so far? Sam wants Chet destroyed ands sends his goons out to do the job.
Chet, a garage mechanic, needs to hide out and pleads to his fellow mechanic Joe for a hiding place. Joe, who unfortunately seems to get more car grease on his hair than on the transaxle, has a junkyard in which Chet can hide out.
As a sidelight and of almost no importance to the storyline, Sam's moll, April (Grace Lee Whitney), lolls around the apartment eating bon bons, reading fan mags and wearing little else other than cleavage.

upload_2018-4-2_8-35-58.jpeg
upload_2018-4-2_8-36-49.jpeg
upload_2018-4-2_8-38-23.jpeg

Grace Lee Whitney, Shary Marshall, Bob Hogan

Chet goes underground without telling his wife (who is unaware of his former criminal activities), so Jeff and Kookie are consigned to find him.
Since the mobsters can't find Chet, they kidnap buddy Joe and force him to spill the beans before murdering him. Apparently one does not want to get sideways with Sam.
Jeff rescues Chet from the junkyard after a shootout with the goon squad (with his cool snubnose .38 which seems to have an endless supply of bullets) and whisks him to the safety of his own apartment. Chet escapes to the hospital to see his loving wife and child thus exposing himself to the mob. Lt. Gilmore and Jeff concoct a scheme to set a trap for Sam by Jeff impersonating a doctor, Kookie as an orderly and Suzanne as a nurse. As you can guess, it works like a charm and Chet comes clean about his past to wifey thus living happily ever after.
A fair-to-middling story where Bernie Fein steals most of the scenes with his over-the-top bad guy portrayal.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
TIDBIT
Grace Lee Whitney is mostly remembered for her role as yeoman Janice Rand in the original Star Trek series.

images
images

She was subsequently dropped from the show and blamed harassment on one of the series' executives (never named). Turning to alcohol, she only got bit parts afterwards until DeForest Kelley saw her in an unemployment line and got her roles in several of the Star Trek movies.
She lived long and prospered, and passed peacefully at age 85 in 2015.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Are you kidding, Russ? If not, you to have to expand your 77SS focus.

This is Efrem Z. at the F.B.I. Quantico, Va. training center, doing publicity for his next series The F.B.I. In Color! (The caps that say FBI and the seal on the instructor's jacket and Efrem's shirt are hard to miss.)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Are you kidding, Russ? If not, you to have to expand your 77SS focus.

This is Efrem Z. at the F.B.I. Quantico, Va. training center, doing publicity for his next series The F.B.I. In Color! (The caps that say FBI and the seal on the instructor's jacket and Efrem's shirt are hard to miss.)
Yeah I got that, Bob. But before it registered on me, my first take was that Efrem was "stealing" third base on a baseball field and threatening the umpire for being called 'out'. C'mon, now.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I generally try to take fairly meticulous notes while watching episodes of 77 SS since I need reminders when finally getting around to writing about them. Plus, I like to think it's a foil against early onset dementia. However, in "The Chrome Coffin", I gave up halfway through since the storyline was so convoluted and confusing.

So in the early 1960's, there seems to have been a cult of hot rod drag racing in Southern California. Who'da thunk? Drake Evans (Charles Robinson) is the king of the streets in his souped up 'Chrome Coffin' auto. He has a habit of taking a souvenir from each driver he defeats and has a closet full of them. Billy (Max Baer) is his main competitor and there's baaaad blood between them.
Drake's uncle and guardian (Vaughn Taylor) summons Stu Bailey as Drake's life has been threatened and being extorted for $100,000. Stu is outraged since he's been named as the courier of the funds so it's up to him to find out who's behind this dastardly plot. Kookie and JR are, of course, practically hand-built to infiltrate the hot rod crowd and help ferret out clues. Cue up Drake's girlfriend, Lou, played by Floy Dean who quite possibly is the worst actress I've ever encountered on the series. I doubt if she was highly sought for in Shakespearian theater. Considering the number of talented ingenues available in the WB stable, this girl's credentials must have been tied to being related to somebody high up in the studio.

upload_2018-4-3_13-0-13.jpeg
upload_2018-4-3_13-0-59.jpeg
upload_2018-4-3_13-1-55.jpeg

Floy Dean, Vaughn Taylor, Charles Robinson

Lou seems to bounce between rival Billy and Drake and her main duty is looking concerned over the upcoming "race of the pink slips" between the two of them. This elicits much discussion among the gang at the malt shop / bar that touts a jukebox playing some irritating rock 'n roll. Missed a good opportunity to pipe in some early surf music into the scene.
In a light-hearted moment, Kookie takes Roscoe on a joy ride in JR's hot rod--who promptly faints after learning they hit 93 mph. Heavens to Betsy!
Drake, who wears a moire-producing sports coat that must have been purloined from Bobby Knight's closet, is kidnapped and whisked off to a mountain cabin to be held until the ransom is paid. Stu and Lt. Gilmore / cops surround the place and flush out two goons who hide behind some bushes, unaware that those are generally poor shields against bullets. They're dispatched almost comically quickly.
The real mastermind is revealed and I'll let you learn who that is all on your own.
There are a jillion holes in this plot and the writing is extremely jumpy--but if you're into early SoCal hot rodding, there's plenty of wheels in which to ogle in this episode.
By the way, my notes on this episode suck--so please forgive my haphazard analysis.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I'm not as familiar with this series as most of you here, but:

On an online TV Quiz the answer to this question was "77 Sunset Strip."

Q: Former government secret agents become private detectives in Los Angeles. Which '60s show was it?

They were former government secret agents?
Did they ever talk about that in episodes or did it come into play?
(Maybe that explains the overseas plots.)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.

Q: Former government secret agents become private detectives in Los Angeles. Which '60s show was it?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Martin! Always nice to have you drop by!
I’m sure you’ll get a dozen replies to your inquiry. Here’s how I understand it: Stu Bailey was an OSS officer in WWII, mostly operating overseas. He speaks several languages and can smoke a pipe while doing it.
Jeff Spenser was an agent in the Korean War and a lawyer afterwards.
I’m sure my compatriots in this thread will elaborate or correct my answer.
But—-if you’re not familiar with the series—what brings you here on occasion?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
TIDBIT
Grace Lee Whitney
is mostly remembered for her role as yeoman Janice Rand in the original Star Trek series.

images
images

She was subsequently dropped from the show and blamed harassment on one of the series' executives (never named). Turning to alcohol, she only got bit parts afterwards until DeForest Kelley saw her in an unemployment line and got her roles in several of the Star Trek movies.
She lived long and prospered, and passed peacefully at age 85 in 2015.

Met her at a ST convention in the mid 2000's. She was still lovely as ever.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I generally try to take fairly meticulous notes while watching episodes of 77 SS since I need reminders when finally getting around to writing about them. Plus, I like to think it's a foil against early onset dementia. However, in "The Chrome Coffin", I gave up halfway through since the storyline was so convoluted and confusing.

So in the early 1960's, there seems to have been a cult of hot rod drag racing in Southern California. Who'da thunk? Drake Evans (Charles Robinson) is the king of the streets in his souped up 'Chrome Coffin' auto. He has a habit of taking a souvenir from each driver he defeats and has a closet full of them. Billy (Max Baer) is his main competitor and there's baaaad blood between them.
Drake's uncle and guardian (Vaughn Taylor) summons Stu Bailey as Drake's life has been threatened and being extorted for $100,000. Stu is outraged since he's been named as the courier of the funds so it's up to him to find out who's behind this dastardly plot. Kookie and JR are, of course, practically hand-built to infiltrate the hot rod crowd and help ferret out clues. Cue up Drake's girlfriend, Lou, played by Floy Dean who quite possibly is the worst actress I've ever encountered on the series. I doubt if she was highly sought for in Shakespearian theater. Considering the number of talented ingenues available in the WB stable, this girl's credentials must have been tied to being related to somebody high up in the studio.

View attachment 45250 View attachment 45251 View attachment 45252
Floy Dean, Vaughn Taylor, Charles Robinson

Lou seems to bounce between rival Billy and Drake and her main duty is looking concerned over the upcoming "race of the pink slips" between the two of them. This elicits much discussion among the gang at the malt shop / bar that touts a jukebox playing some irritating rock 'n roll. Missed a good opportunity to pipe in some early surf music into the scene.
In a light-hearted moment, Kookie takes Roscoe on a joy ride in JR's hot rod--who promptly faints after learning they hit 93 mph. Heavens to Betsy!
Drake, who wears a moire-producing sports coat that must have been purloined from Bobby Knight's closet, is kidnapped and whisked off to a mountain cabin to be held until the ransom is paid. Stu and Lt. Gilmore / cops surround the place and flush out two goons who hide behind some bushes, unaware that those are generally poor shields against bullets. They're dispatched almost comically quickly.
The real mastermind is revealed and I'll let you learn who that is all on your own.
There are a jillion holes in this plot and the writing is extremely jumpy--but if you're into early SoCal hot rodding, there's plenty of wheels in which to ogle in this episode.
By the way, my notes on this episode suck--so please forgive my haphazard analysis.

A quick glance, and I mistook Floy Dean for Barbara Stuart (Bunny from Gomer Pyle, USMC)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Re: The government agent thing: In the episode with Adam West and Whitney Blake. Jeff tells Whitney Blake, playing Adam West's wife, that he has no interest in her husband since he is no longer with the government. Presumably West's character was sent up for a federal crime, bank messenger robbery? I don't recall.

Stu was not only in the O.S.S., but it was mentioned in an S1 episode that Lt. Gilmore was part of his team. We also met at least three of his other former team members in the European episodes. One of them played by Ray Danton.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Cue up Drake's girlfriend, Lou, played by Floy Dean who quite possibly is the worst actress I've ever encountered on the series. I doubt if she was highly sought for in Shakespearian theater. Considering the number of talented ingenues available in the WB stable, this girl's credentials must have been tied to being related to somebody high up in the studio.

That description intrigued me, and I had never heard of this actress. I thought I was familiar with most of the lovely ingenues who appeared on 77 Sunset Strip. Checked the end credits, and the actress is actually Floydean Smith. I'll take your word for her acting ability, but she is easy on the eyes. Certainly an unusual name, maybe too much so to be made up.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer

Martin,

In S1E1 "Girl on The Run," Stu says that he was all set to become the youngest professor in the history of Columbia University, with a Ph.D. in Indo-European languages, when the OSS tapped him as an agent. And yes, his OSS background did serve as the entré into many of the European episodes.

I believe that over the course of the show's run, he showed fluency in many if not most Indo-European languages (including Sanskrit!), and a good working knowledge of Chinese besides. This was Roy Huggins adapting his longtime character for Efrem Zimbalist Jr's natural talents. Stu is even shown to have significant piano chops (briefly, in "Reserved for Mr. Bailey"); of course, Zimbalist was a thoroughly classically-trained musician and composer, who taught in his father's music conservatory during a hiatus in his acting career.

Stu Bailey was perhaps the most well-crafted character in TV history.

I am less of an expert on Jeff Spencer, and can't quote chapter and verse, but I seem to remember that he was in the Navy in Korea, then served as a CIA agent for a while. I welcome correction on these points. I also understand that he has a law degree, but never practiced.

And, as Bob Gudera mentioned, Lt. Gilmore was in the OSS with Stu.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Hey, get a load of this photograph I found on eBay, via the Noirish thread on the Skyscraper forum!

View attachment 45263

Does it look at all familiar?

That's right, Russ, it's the Mary Webb Davis building! This was taken in 1959.

I bought the slide!
Rob—that is sooo cool! I did not know Mary Webb Davis had an entrance awning of her own. I always thought that was a 77 SS invention.
Wonder what that canvass-y cover thingie is in front of the entrance?

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Here's an interesting early article on Edd Byrnes. Some of the points I can read when it's blown up:
  • He doesn't answer questions easily (according to the interviewer)--Lots of awkward silences
  • Not sure if his mom watches the show. Never asked her
  • Does not have any definable goals
  • Came to Hollywood in 1956 from NY
  • Got into acting by watching movies all the time
  • Was not considered "contract material" by any of the studios at the time
  • Bought a house in Coldwater Canyon - "Chinese Modern"
  • Bought a Jaguar to drive around town
  • Buys silk suits and ties
  • Does NOT like being called "Kookie" off the set
Doesn't sound exactly like the hip-talking funster we know and love?

s-l225.jpg

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
That description intrigued me, and I had never heard of this actress. I thought I was familiar with most of the lovely ingenues who appeared on 77 Sunset Strip. Checked the end credits, and the actress is actually Floydean Smith. I'll take your word for her acting ability, but she is easy on the eyes. Certainly an unusual name, maybe too much so to be made up.
I saw that she was listed as Floydean Smith on the credits, but her bio states her as Floy Dean. There is almost no information on her and she was not very prolific in her acting career--probably due to lack of talent. She appeared in one other 77 SS episode--season 2 "Edge of Doubt".

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I saw that she was listed as Floydean Smith on the credits, but her bio states her as Floy Dean. There is almost no information on her and she was not very prolific in her acting career--probably due to lack of talent. She appeared in one other 77 SS episode--season 2 "Edge of Doubt".
Unless I missed it, I don’t see a 77 episode called “Edge of Doubt”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks