What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (4 Viewers)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Saw another HAWAIIAN EYE crossover with Connie Stevens, Poncie Ponce, and Anthony Eisley in "Perfect Setup".
Roger Smith sings a few songs. Anyway I assume its Smith that is singing.

Kookie is back. On the show its explained that he was in Army training.
Glad to see that the Army was open minded enough to allow Kookie to keep his wavy hair. :P

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes it was Roger singing. He recorded an album that came out around that time.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
A reminder to all who are following this series that "The Silent Caper" is coming up this Thursday morning. I remember watching this episode when it originally aired. I was 10 years old and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

I watched that episode for the first time the other day. It really held my interest and the plot was simple enough to follow so you didn't need any dialogue.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the episode, Sierra, because of the change of setting and the guest stars, Sherry Jackson and Anthony George.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Saw another HAWAIIAN EYE crossover with Connie Stevens, Poncie Ponce, and Anthony Eisley in "Perfect Setup".
Roger Smith sings a few songs. Anyway I assume its Smith that is singing.

roger-smith-actor-beach-time-1959.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Another Roger Smith album, called "Beach Romance", is available at Amazon: streaming, MP3 download, and vinyl.

Any of you guys ever imitate Smith's, under the wrist, watch wearing style? I used to like those beltless slacks they all wore. If they had belt loops too they were called, 'convertibles' because you could wear them with a belt or without. (Nowadays, 'convertible' pants refer to unzipping the lower legs to become shorts.)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Anyone been comparing the 77 Sunset Strip broadcasts from Goodlife TV to the MeTV ones? The Goodlife TV ones run right at about 50 min plus change and the MeTV ones right at 46 min. Anyone else found this to be true? The MeTV recordings are better quality, but seem to be edited WAY more.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Anyone been comparing the 77 Sunset Strip broadcasts from Goodlife TV to the MeTV ones? The Goodlife TV ones run right at about 50 min plus change and the MeTV ones right at 46 min. Anyone else found this to be true? The MeTV recordings are better quality, but seem to be edited WAY more.
I have many of the Goodlife ones recorded. To me they're the same transfers but MeTV has done additional editing. I don't like how they create breaks within segments rather than adhering to the original break structure but I'm sure that's how they eliminate content. MeTV here is much more compressed in picture quality than Goodlife was and varies day to day (this affects all their programs not just 77).

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Richard V, Gary16, in comparing the Goodlife 77 episodes with the METV ones, have you been able to spot any actual missing scenes? Or are they timesped, or losing a second or two at commercial breaks? I think taking out the original bumpers and the longer starring Efrem Zimbalist... etc...opening would bring them down to 47 min. or so.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Richard V, Gary16, in comparing the Goodlife 77 episodes with the METV ones, have you been able to spot any actual missing scenes? Or are they timesped, or losing a second or two at commercial breaks? I think taking out the original bumpers and the longer starring Efrem Zimbalist... etc...opening would bring them down to 47 min. or so.

I haven't had a chance to compare but I know there are some brief cuts at the beginning of some segments. I hear time compression sometimes on the closing credits but not always. In addition to the elimination of all the bumpers and the network midbreak and end break, many of the episodes had previews for next week which have also been cut by WB. You'll also note that some episodes retain the full open while others do not. That was also done by WB.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Yes, I compared the episode The Fanatics from S3. I didn't compare the whole episode between Goodlife and MeTV, but I did catch scene deletion at the beginning of the episode from MeTV. When the jet is in flight at the beginning of the episode, Goodlife shows the jet landing, and a parking lot scene of the LAX airport. About 22 seconds duration. MeTV cuts from the jet in flight directly to the passengers entering the airport terminal. I'm sure if I watched the whole episode, i would find the other 3 and half minutes cut from the Goodlife version of 50 min +

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Thanks, guys. It would be nice if 77 SUNSET STRIP ever makes it to DVD they could do at least one episode with full bumpers and scenes for next week etc. (I have been re-watching THE GALLANT MEN DVDs and the counter shows them as 50+ min., and that's without the beginning act bumpers and the original full opening flare up and down clip and bumper. The GM's from Goodlife I have seen were 46 minutes or so and I thought they might have been timesped. I have a CHEYENNE on tape that runs almost 53 minutes incuding a 2 minute scenes for next week.)

Someone has started uploading 77 again on youtube, including some of the 50 minute Goodlife ones, like 'The Fanatics'.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I have been making mp4s of the episodes, using the ME transfers supplemented with footage from the GoodLife era. The comparisons vary. Usually ME will trim little things: transitions, a bit of a song, a line or two out of a scene, but a few eps have had more significant edits. On a few occasions ME will have something GL didn't, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Some eps have been complete on ME except for credits, bumpers, etc. Both use time compression. GL was terrible in that regard. As often as not they got the pitch wrong, and there's obvious jerky movement in many scenes. ME's compression is much smoother and less noticeable, even though it's more aggressive. They use a variable system that increases or decreases based on the content. A few times it has gone a bit off track. On one ep the closing credits started off at what sounded like a 75% speedup only to suddenly revert to something close to normal after a few seconds.

Learned a few things on last night's "Office Caper" episode. For the first time on the show someone (Suzanne) explained to a visitor that "Mr Randolph is with us now" (he just showed up in the previous episode with no explanation, and wasn't even in the opening credits that were on that particular transfer). Also, she is the answering service for the first floor only; there are offices on the second floor but no third floor. This was another Montgomery Pittman episode, who wrote my favorite so far (Switchburg). It was told from the POV of the bad guys--the main stars hardly appeared until past the halfway mark of the episode.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
In the earlier episodes it was the Sunset Answering Service and didn't appear to be exclusive to Bailey and Spencer. You may also have noticed in the earliest episodes Suzanne referred to Stu and Jeff as Mr. Bailey and Mr. Spencer and didn't appear to be too fond of Kookie. She also had just met Roscoe for the first time. All that quickly changed not too far into season one.
There was a revised open for season three that had Rex getting in the car with Stu and Jeff but it hasn't made the cut yet on these episodes. One should pop up soon.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Thanks for the update about Rex(Richard Long).
I had missed 3-4 episodes and was wondering where he came from. Seemly out of nowhere.

Nice seeing Sherry Jackson make another guest appearance. Always have had the WOWS for her. :blush:
And that girl fight with Suzanne was a hum-dinger.
Roscoe getting punched out and landing was funny.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if MeTV is planning on showing the rare Season 6 episodes?

Actually the 5th season is rarer than the 6th. Season 5 has never been syndicated anywhere in the world and until 19 episodes appeared on Warner Streaming, only a handful of network prints from film had ever been around. Season 6, however, did have international syndication and 16mm films have been circulating in the hobby for decades.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Finally last night (early this morning) MeTV aired an episode ("Trouble in the Middle East") that contained the full revised open that added Richard Long to the cast.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What time does MeTV air this? Mine goes off the air at 2AM with the national anthem and doesn't come back until 6 or so, so I assume it's during those hours since I've never seen an episode on my channel guide.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks