1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rustifer

Rustifer Supporting Actor

Russ
    In response to Rob's defense of Richard Long in the series:

I took it upon myself to watch "Face In The Window", with Rex Randolph in the lead. I tried an experiment which was to essentially imagine either Roger Smith or Efrem Zimbalist in Rex's role to see if that would've materially changed the effectiveness of the episode in my mind.

The episode was quite a good one with all my favorites elements--frequent scenes in Dino's and B&S office, along with most of the entire cast present and a background story of movie actors and studios. The script was quite satisfactory, too. Rex glided through his role like a pro and carried his scenes quite easily. The old boy also looked as good in a suit as James Bond--just the right amount of shirt collar above the jacket and cuffs below the sleeves.

I tried like heck to identify the car he was driving--I assume it was a Ford make--but of a darker color than what the other boys drive. Couldn't get a glimpse of a badge on it, but I think it was a Sunliner.

[​IMG]

There was a great comedic scene in Dino's where Roscoe and Rex, half in the bag, construct a race horse out of a pickle, two olives and some toothpicks for legs.
    Later on, they're at a movie theater in front of the film's marquee poster "The Day the Earth Exploded"--no such real movie, but obviously a spoof on the sci-fi flicks of that era. Of course, Kookie spouts another classic Kookie-ism at one point, identifying swimming pool salesmen as "splash pushers".
    A couple of frequent 77 SS guest stars, Merry Anders and Paula Raymond, joined Peter Breck ( a harbinger of his future pairing with Richard Long in the Big Valley) in the episode.

upload_2018-3-5_10-4-5. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Merry Anders, Paula Raymond, Peter Breck

The premise of the show was so good, and Rex played his part so well, that I don't think substituting Jeff or Stu in his place would have helped one iota. I'll admit it moved the needle somewhat in my opinion of him.

ponset, Lutz Koch, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  2. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, you're a big-hearted man, and I greatly appreciate your taking my defense of Richard Long to heart.

The ironic thing is that this is one of the episodes with which I am less familiar; I have not re-watched this lately (although I certainly will now). That is just an accident of fate, because I am a HUGE fan of both Breck and Anders, and I think Paula Raymond was never better than in her appearances in 77.

Regarding the car Rex drove: I don't know what he drives in this particular episode, but I know that in general he drove a Mercury. I've never researched which model, because I generally find Mercs of this vintage hideously ugly, but I will now. I'm guessing it was a Monterey of some sort.

I became a Merc fan starting in 1967. My grandparents traded in their Imperial for a lovely 1967 full-size four-door, probably a Monterey. Later, we got a two-door 1967 Monterey convertible that was my favorite of all the cars the family ever had. And I still want to get a 1969 Cougar someday.

Gary16, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  3. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    You know, I'd love to see some SS6 episodes. Unlike 77, I distinctly remember watching SS6 and liking it during its original run. It started before my bedtime! The problem is that episodes of this show are not legitimately available right now.

Richard V and Flashgear like this.
  4. Rustifer

Russ
    My second car was a 1970 brown w/ black vinyl top Mercury Montego.
    upload_2018-3-6_8-38-40.

It had bucket seats and a Cyclone V-8 engine and I thought I was KING OF THE WORLD

Flashgear and criblecoblis like this.
  5. Rustifer

Russ
    I have around 16 episodes of SS 6 on VHS that I got from a very good source about 10 years ago. I remember falling asleep to its lulling theme song when I was a kid.

upload_2018-3-6_8-44-38.

Many years later, I would stay at the Fountainbleau Hotel in Miami where the houseboat was parked across from. Of course, by that time the houseboat was gone, but I got the opportunity to stand right next to where it used to be.
    Here's hoping that MeTV will pick up the series!

6. Message #926 of 1991 Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    In that car, you were King of The World. I love the bold design, now as I did then.

My analysis is that the car Rex generally drove was a 1960 Mercury Monterey convertible (captures from "The Duncan Shrine"). I think the choice of a Mercury for Rex in contrast with Jeff's Galaxie bespoke an appreciation for the finer things slightly in excess of his income. They were basically the same car, but the Mercury was a bit more posh. And a lot uglier.

Attached Files:

Gary16, Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  7. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
  8. Rustifer

Russ
    Always good to see you wander over to our little thread here, Martin!
    I took me years of watching these shows before I realized that Warner Bros. had actually built replicate sets rather than to try and shoot on location, e.g. the houseboat and the "Boob Boom Room" at the Fountainbleau. Same with Dino's and the B&S offices in the Mary Hill Davis building, which we now know held no such offices. The exterior shots were only done once or twice a year and then spliced into the story whenever necessary.

[​IMG]
    This is most likely a replicate studio set of the interior of the houseboat

Lutz Koch and Flashgear like this.
  9. Rustifer

Russ
    At the beginning of "Eyes of Love", we see Stu driving the spaghetti network of LA freeways as shot from behind him in the back seat. I only mention it inasmuch as we normally don't see real on-location scenes too often in the series. A TV station traffic helicopter is whirling overhead with Hal Colson (Richard Crane) reporting on road conditions. As he veers off to buzz a girlfriend's house over Mulholland, he spots a sports car with a dead girl inside.
    Stu meets up with Hal at Dino's to learn that Hal has been fired from his job. Apparently, like a good citizen, he reported what he saw but the police found nothing when they arrived so Hal has been canned for making stuff up. Bingo! We have a caper!
    Turns out the car (an Austin Healey Sprite) belongs to a wealthy "Dear Abby"-type columnist Amanda (Dorothy Green) who bought it for her much younger race-driver husband Tony (Donald Buka). But where's the body? Was there really a body?

upload_2018-3-8_8-50-19. upload_2018-3-8_8-51-46. upload_2018-3-8_8-55-46.
    Dorothy Green, Donald Buka and Judy Lewis

Their house on Mulholland is one I've seen in many 77 SS episodes, large with a porte cochere in front and huge sloping shake shingled roof. Wish I knew exactly where so I could Google it. Amanda writes her column from there with the help of her secretary, played by a demure Judy Lewis. Seems young Tony has been vying for a bit of hibbidy-dibbity with the secretary, as well as other girls, while he devises ways to send his wife to Page Six in heaven by tampering with her car brakes and stringing trip wire across the stairway. The man will do anything for a laugh.
    Stu goes to visit Tony at his favorite watering hole, the Grand Prix Bar, which looks more like the interior of Ruth's Chris than a racedrivers' hangout. Pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place and before long the mystery is solved.
    I wouldn't call this episode one of the classics, but it does contain quite a bit of actual LA locations which is always of interest to me.
    Mildly entertaining at best.

10. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin

That must be some room!

P.S.: Thanks, I wander over frequently, even if I don't post anything!

Rustifer and criblecoblis like this.
  11. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Annette was gorgeous, but I REALLY didn't care for that beehive hairdo, I thought it really distracted from her beauty.

criblecoblis and Flashgear like this.
  12. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    ^^^

Annette was from Utica, New York, a small city, in the middle of the state, that I grew up near. On occasion, when she was back visiting or something, there was a billboard outside of town you'd see upon entering that would say, "Annette is back!" I don't know why or what that was for, but I do recall seeing it.

13. Message #933 of 1991 Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    You always have interesting insights. At least leave a footprint in here every now and again so we know you walked across the yard...

Flashgear likes this.
  14. Message #934 of 1991 Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    I do so love it when I stumble upon another 77 SS episode that's played almost entirely for giggles, as is the case in the "6 Out Of 8 Caper" (S3EP32). If you love Louis Quinn's Roscoe character and his continuous obsession with horse racing, then make yourself a pitcher of martinis, settle back and enjoy the heck out of this romp.

upload_2018-3-10_7-20-38. upload_2018-3-10_8-2-39.
    Louis Quinn (far right) with the whole team and at the track

At the track is rich Barbara Wentworth (Patrice Wymore) and her current paramour Harve (Robert Hutton), who are secretly observing nerdy Wilmer Zaleski (Jay Novella) who has the uncanny knack of picking 6 winners out of 8 races. Barb is wearing a leopard skin vest while Harve sports an outfit that he must have purloined from a weight guesser of a county carnival. Neither are conducive to secretive undercover activity. Also spying on Wilmer are two dim-witted race touts Flip and Schoolboy, who barely know how to tie their own shoes much less successfully bet on the horses.
    upload_2018-3-10_7-34-41. upload_2018-3-10_7-55-22.
    Patrice Wymore who, at 23, married 41 year old Errol Flynn, Jay Novello

Flip and Schoolboy clumsily follow Wilmer to his place of employment Baylor Electronics where he functions as the bookkeeper and who is operating a Univac-type computer that takes up the whole room. Blinking lights, levers, gauges, and theremin sound effects complete the image of the futuristic "Logical Choice" machine. Apparently this wonderment is Wilmer's secret to success at the track. Or is it?

Barbara, who made all her money as a whiz in the stock market but a loser at the horses, hires Stu to uncover Wilmer's formula of luck. Stu, ever reluctant, has a few drinks with her and acquiesces.
    In the meantime, Wilmer's cute daughter gets kidnapped and held as ransom until he provides the winners of the next day's races. Stu employs Roscoe to muster his entire knowledge of the sport to pick all the winners. The joke here is one of the horses is named Maverick so that every time it's mentioned, the name is repeated, a WB oft-used trick to cross promote shows-- "Maverick in the fifth!" "Who?" "Maverick!" "Maverick?!" Get it?
    Roscoe, for the first time in his life, pulls off the miraculous multiple trifecta and the kidnapper (I won't tell you who) is nailed by using Roscoe's planted list.
    As for Baylor Electronics' computer and Wilmer's successful picks, it's revealed that the company was putting their money on ALL the horses in each race so that a winner would be a sure shot. Dumb and expensive idea, the goal was to get rich Barb's attention in order to invest in the company. Martinis all around at Dino's makes a fitting end.
    Great episode, fun / clever script by Robert Vincent Wright, and worth every minute / olive.

15. Message #935 of 1991 Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    TIDBIT
    I've always been impressed by character actor Jay Novello, who coincidently hailed from the neighborhood of my birth in Chicago. The guy could affect the characteristics of a Mexican, Italian, French and almost any other nationality. He was great as con artist Mayor Mario Lugatto of Volta Fiore, Italy in McHale's Navy, and appearing as various sorts in many of the WB series in the 1950's-60's.

[​IMG]
    The talented Mr. Novello

Of Italian descent, that was his language of choice before learning how to speak English. No wonder he was so good at playing Italian waiters. He was adept at flipping from comedy to drama depending on his role and would almost always steal every scene he was in.
    According to the NY Times, Jay died of lung cancer at the age of 78 in North Hollywood.

16. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    This is a fun episode, Russ. Patricia Wymore is never more delightful than she is here. And I love the "Maverick" routine, one of the frequent self-effacing jokes in which the show makes fun of WB's relentless cross-promotion in its TV shows. It's also one of Roscoe's very best episodes.

Rustifer, Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  17. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Jay Novello is always good! His mantle was assumed by Vito Scotti in the Sixties and Seventies.

We also know Jay Novello's son Don. He was Father Guido Sarducci in Saturday Night Live (well, it was actually NBC's Saturday Night in those days).

18. Message #938 of 1991 Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    I had forgotten about Don Novello! It’s always interesting when one celebrity begets another celebrity of equal or greater standing, e.g. Carl Reiner and son Rob. Might be fun to create a list...[/QUOTE]

19. Rustifer

Russ
    I should never create a REPLY on my cell phone and expect it NOT to be messed up. Dammit.

criblecoblis likes this.
  20. Message #940 of 1991 Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    In "Designing Eye", the episode begins with Roscoe bragging that after winning the race by picking a real "dog", he buys it. Of course we all think that he's bought a horse, but turns out to be a racing greyhound named Genevieve. Roscoe quotes that "the greyhound is known from antiquity", then muses--"wonder where that track is?" Unfortunately, this bit of fluffery has nothing to do with the ensuing story.

upload_2018-3-12_10-25-12.
    Jeff and Suzanne meet Genevieve

As an aside and to veer off this commentary briefly, I'm always curious about the landscape outside Jeff or Stu's office window (see photo above). On those venetian blind-obscured glimpses, I wonder if it comes close in representing what really was behind Dino's and the Mary Hill Davis building. Did the stage set try to get the backdrop geographically correct? Maybe some of you native LA guys who have been around for a while can comment?

Anyway...Jeff is hired by the Surf 'n Sun fashion design firm to decipher how a rival designer, Rainbow Modes is committing industrial piracy on them. "Pop" Halliday (Robert H. Harris) runs Surf 'n Sun along with Ellen Martone (Rebecca Welles), who for a second, I thought was Perry Mason's Della Street. Sure as heck looked like her at first.

upload_2018-3-12_10-40-7. upload_2018-3-12_10-50-14. upload_2018-3-12_10-52-24.
    Rebecca Welles--not to be confused with the daughter of Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth-
    Carol Ohmart and Captain Midnight himself, Richard Webb

Ellen is the firm's top designer and keeps all of her ideas and sketches in her office in a massive vault that would do any JP Morgan bank proud. Rival Rainbow Modes is run by fashion thieves Linda Gates (Carol Ohmart) and Cliff Jarrett (Richard Webb). Jeff joins up with "Pop" and crew as an 'efficiency expert', thus allowing him free reign around the shop (read: license to ogle lots of half-dressed models). Suzanne goes undercover (get it?) as a model for the rival company, thus giving us a bright anticipation of maybe seeing her parade around in a bikini. Don't get your hopes up, fellas.

The mystery is how the rivals are stealing the designs when they're safely kept in the vault with only Pop and Ellen knowing the combination. There's a scene where Suzanne stays late to sneak into Linda and Cliff's office to look for clues, accompanied by the bass beat of a Peter Gunn-type soundtrack. Predictably, we're presented with the 'nail-biting' suspense of the thieves returning to the office unexpectedly-- thus possibly catching Suzanne in the act. Tell me you haven't seen this premise a trillion times. Fortunately, she ducks into the liquor cabinet at the last second, which is exactly where I'd dash whether being chased or not.
    Jeff does some pretty nifty detecting to determine how the designs are being stolen, while rescuing Suzanne from the evil clutches of murderous Cliff and getting a rather snuggly and grateful hug from her.
    I'm always partial to the Jeff Spenser-led episodes, and even though Suzanne selfishly doesn't drop a stitch of clothing for our benefit--it's a pretty interesting story. Not to mention what was considered fashionable back in 1960.