What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Baxter Kellog is the middle-aged star attraction at the county fair in "Open and Close In One"(S3Ep27). Baxter (Buddy Ebsen), formerly a silent movie star, now makes his living as a high platform dancer. Stu Bailey, a longtime admirer of Baxter, has been summoned to find his lost good luck charm without which he cannot perform. If he does well with his act, he's promised a TV show of his own, so he needs that damn charm. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the premise of the TV show is about a country bumpkin that strikes it rich and moves his family to a spiffy suburb of Los Angeles. Just guessin', mind you.
Baxter has a list of acquaintances who could be the thief of the charm, which causes Stu to puff vigorously on his pipe while pondering the vagaries of the case.
Back at Dino's, Stu and Kookie are enjoying coffee when Baxter's wife (Julie Adams) shows up to announce the charm has been found and Stu's services are no longer needed.

View attachment 44357
images

Buddy Ebsen and Julie Adams, Joel Grey, Dawn Wells

Baxter's nephew (an incredibly young and stick-thin Joel Grey) arrives and denies that the charm has turned up. He introduces Stu to another suspect played by Dawn Wells. I always preferred Dawn over Ginger in Gilligan's Island due to her girl-next-door sexiness vs. Tina Louise's overt eyelash-batting traits. I understand that this can be a highly debatable topic.
Also on the hook is Rochelle Adrian (Carol Ohmart) who when Stu meets is wearing a diaphanous nightgown, backlit to be completely transparent. Let me tell you, that scene alone is worth the other 55 minutes. She puts the moves on a disinterested Stu, who apparently is suffering from ice water in his arteries at the time. Carol always struck me as a Shelley Winters sort of hard-edged woman.

images
View attachment 44359
Carol Ohmart / Buddy proving his balance prowess

The plot thickens when Roxanne is found murdered holding the aforementioned lost charm. There's a completely unnecessary story segment in a gym that exists only to highlight Kookie doing an Olympic-quality dismount off the parallel bars. Mr. Byrnes was quite a limber lad in his youth.
With the charm found and the murderer revealed, Baxter is able to perform his 50-foot high act successfully after which we assume he loads up the truck and moves to Beverly. Hills, that is.

After over-indulging in martinis the previous evening watching "Strange Bedfellows", I decided to give my vodka-soaked liver a respite and pick up on Rob's preference with a couple of Makers Mark bourbons on the rocks. I was a better man for it.

Julie Adams is another actress born in my home state of Iowa. Waterloo, IA.

http://www.julieadams.biz/

I believe she did 5 episodes of 77 SS.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Nice pup! We have a similar menagerie, 3 dogs and four cats, and they can also be quite demanding.

Oh, and also, I wanted to ask: what is your opinion of "Old Card Sharps Never Die"? That's one of my favorites. William Fawcett was never better.

I have to be honest with you Rob, "Old Card Sharks Never Die" never did fall into my favorites category. As I've mentioned in past posts, I was hardly enamored with the addition of Richard Long to the series as I thought he was a bit too smooth, undeservedly entitled and kind of a ham. Never seemed to add much panache to an episode and, to me, upset the balance of the exisiting perfect cast.
Also, I'm always more drawn to the eps that center around the Strip, e.g. Dino's, B&S offices and local environs as that's what embraced me to series in the first place.

In this episode, Rex tools into Nugget City during its Frontier Week and immediately gets arrested for being sans facial hair, a requirement for all men during the festival's throwback to the 1890's wild west. While in the "calaboose" he meets Samantha (Lisa Gaye) who is the secretary of the man who hired Rex to come to town. Within 10 seconds she's on him like beans on rice, with breathy voice and suck face intentions. Seems she's been practicing for her upcoming nuptials. Having nothing to do with anything, I have to say it struck me that Lisa appears to be channeling the looks of Annette Funicello...
images
images

Lisa and Annette

Rex has been hired by the town's big shot, Marcus Henning (Robert Lowery--who got lots of parts by fooling directors into thinking he was really Clark Gable). Beg pardon as I seem to be fixated into look-alikes in this episode.

upload_2018-3-2_12-19-35.jpeg
images

Robert Lowery and William Fawcett

Rex's job is to guard old 'Notch' McConnell, a grizzled feisty gunfighter from a past era (played with great gusto by the wonderful William Fawcett) who is to be the festival's honored guest. From here the show plunges into a search for Notch's stolen old silver mine stock certificates that are completely worthless. Or are they? Hmmmm?
I think the most enjoyable scene is William Fawcett incessantly gnawing on a turkey leg while talking to Rex. Only a seasoned actor can eat food and yammer at the same time. Fascinated with hotel room service, Notch orders up everything from food and clothes to wooden Indians and kayaks. When last we see him, he's just requested an anchor be sent up to his room. As many times as I've stayed in hotels, that particular request has never been granted to me.
As for the worthless stock certificates? Well, far be it from me to tell here.
Interesting and quirky episode, just not my cup of tea.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-2_12-19-22.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_12-19-22.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Nice review of "Old Card Sharks Never Die," Russ. Lisa Gaye is one of my favorite 77 guest stars. She also looks a lot like Debra Paget, which is only fitting, since the two are sisters.

Regarding Richard Long, I suppose you might see his work as Rex a little differently if you'd seen Bourbon Street Beat, and were more familiar with Rex Randolph. I see what you're saying about the character, but Long is just playing him as written.

For my part, I love Long on 77, as Rex and otherwise. He shows an edge and a dark side that is rarely seen elsewhere in his work, save for a few episodes of The Big Valley.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Nice review of "Old Card Sharks Never Die," Russ. Lisa Gaye is one of my favorite 77 guest stars. She also looks a lot like Debra Paget, which is only fitting, since the two are sisters.

Regarding Richard Long, I suppose you might see his work as Rex a little differently if you'd seen Bourbon Street Beat, and were more familiar with Rex Randolph. I see what you're saying about the character, but Long is just playing him as written.

For my part, I love Long on 77, as Rex and otherwise. He shows an edge and a dark side that is rarely seen elsewhere in his work, save for a few episodes of The Big Valley.

Well I'll be! Lisa Gaye and Debra Paget sisters! I didn't know that.
I did see Richard Long in the Bourbon Street Beat series and I was much more forgiving of him in that environment since that's where he originated. But I gravitated more towards Van Williams because I had just finished the entire SURFSIDE 6 series and I thought he was really good in that. I shall scrutinize Rex a little closer in the remaining 77 SS eps to see if he grows on me.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I've been looking forward to writing about "Sierra", particularly because it is one of the few episodes I actually remember when I first saw it as a kid way back in the late 1950's when the 77 SS series began.
My memory was of a very atmospheric mountain setting and being terrified by a roving mountain lion. I was wondering if now my more critical eye regarding scripting, film techniques and sets would dispel my initial fascination with the show. Let's see.
It begins with Stu driving up the Sierra mountains at night in response to an invitation from his old friend Steve Jennings (Edward Platt).

images

Yep--the "Chief" from Get Smart...

Stopping at a gas station, he is eerily warned by the attendant of "strange things" ahead.
So far, my 'atmospheric' remembrance stays intact, despite the obvious "outdoor" set and studio lighting.
Back on his way, Stu doesn't get far before getting mugged and knocked cold. We hear the growl of a mountain lion in the distance! Stu is befriended by a hunter in the area and they stumble upon the body of a horribly mauled man. Mountain lion doings, no doubt! More growls in the distance...
Turns out the dead guy is Max Ringle, a mobster on the Ten Most Wanted list. What's he doing there??
Stu finally arrives to his friend's lodge--a very cozy, woodsy cabin of about 10,000 square feet.
His daughter is none other than my boyhood heartthrob, Sherry Jackson, thus affording me once again the opportunity to post cheesy pics of her...

images
images
upload_2018-3-3_11-36-8.jpeg

For my entertainment (and any other normal male watching), Sherry is sporting a blouse at least two sizes too small. Bless her heart. Apparently she has been sneaking off into the woods to hook up with her boyfriend Barney, a member of Max Ringle's gang.
Stu and the other guests set out to track and kill the lion among the Warner Bros. Paper Mache Mountainous Landscape and find out what Naughty Daughter is up to. Some outdoor scenes are actually shot on location and are quite striking, but then revert back to sets on close ups and dialogue. I guess it was just more budget-friendly to shoot it in that manner. But it would have certainly benefitted the episode by staying within the natural landscape.
What follows is grappling with and being captured by the mob gang (what the hell were they doing there?), fighting the lion, and, of course, saving Sherry's hide. Thank god.

Anyhoo, although I was certainly as critical as I thought I'd be, I still thoroughly enjoyed the episode. And it had nothing to do with Sherry Jackson. Uh-huh.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I did see Richard Long in the Bourbon Street Beat series and I was much more forgiving of him in that environment since that's where he originated. But I gravitated more towards Van Williams because I had just finished the entire SURFSIDE 6 series and I thought he was really good in that. I shall scrutinize Rex a little closer in the remaining 77 SS eps to see if he grows on me.
Ah! I didn't realize you were familiar with BSB. I'm a big fan of Van Williams as well, and he was largely underused in BSB, at least in the half-season I've seen so far.

And I will agree that Rex is a little out of his water in 77. They don't show his cultured side, and they make him out to be just a bit of a roué around the edges. But when he gets to detectin', he's still Good Old Rex to me.

By the way, isn't the opening of BSB ridiculous?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Ah! I didn't realize you were familiar with BSB. I'm a big fan of Van Williams as well, and he was largely underused in BSB, at least in the half-season I've seen so far.

And I will agree that Rex is a little out of his water in 77. They don't show his cultured side, and they make him out to be just a bit of a roué around the edges. But when he gets to detectin', he's still Good Old Rex to me.

By the way, isn't the opening of BSB ridiculous?
It kinda had a Peter Gun vibe to it...

images
images

I’m not sure how I feel about it. I always liked the intro artwork. Didn't care much for the Absinthe House setting as the office. It lacked the smooth coolness of Dino's / B&S office.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Here's something that's been on my mind for some time to post that hopefully some of you guys will weigh in on.
Besides my slavish affection for 77 SS, I also nurse my nostalgia fever with early sitcom episodes like My Three Sons, The Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best, Leave It To Beaver, et al.
I always found it odd / funny that many the child stars got groomed to become pop stars once their series proved to be successful. Whether the music world needed them or not.

To Wit:
Shelley Fabares, who played daughter Mary Stone on The Donna Reed Show

upload_2018-3-4_10-7-19.jpeg
images

Probably had the most successful pop song Johnny Angel, no. 1 on the Billboard 100 in 1962. Sticky-sweet and hardly rock 'n roll. She did star in 3 Elvis Presley pics which gave her some cred, I guess.

This was followed by her sitcom brother, Paul Peterson...

upload_2018-3-4_10-13-35.jpeg
upload_2018-3-4_10-19-8.jpeg

...who let loose with She Can't Find Her Keys and My Dad, no. 6 on the Billlboard 100 in 1962 and even gloppier than Johnny Angel. In his adult life, he ran a limosine service and now the Donna Reed Foundation as well as author of fiction novels. I do give him credit for having once been married to Brenda Benet. Chicka-chicka bow wow...

Then there's Johnny Crawford, son of the Rifleman

upload_2018-3-4_10-21-12.jpeg
images

Johnny launched Cindy's Birthday and Your Nose Is Going To Grow. Those titles say it all. However, he stuck with the music in his later life-- Since 1992, Crawford has led a California-based dance orchestra which performs at special events.

Don Grady was one of My Three Sons, as well as an original Disney Mouseketeer
upload_2018-3-4_10-30-51.jpeg
images

Although Don never had a hit on the Billboard charts, the show wedged him into several singing scenes.
He did have some musical chops, having written the theme to Blake Edward's Switch as well as the theme song to the Phil Donahue Show. We lost Don to cancer in 2012.

Who am I missing?

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Here's something that's been on my mind for some time to post that hopefully some of you guys will weigh in on.
Besides my slavish affection for 77 SS, I also nurse my nostalgia fever with early sitcom episodes like My Three Sons, The Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best, Leave It To Beaver, et al.
I always found it odd / funny that many the child stars got groomed to become pop stars once their series proved to be successful. Whether the music world needed them or not.

To Wit:
Shelley Fabares, who played daughter Mary Stone on The Donna Reed Show

View attachment 44528
images

Probably had the most successful pop song Johnny Angel, no. 1 on the Billboard 100 in 1962. Sticky-sweet and hardly rock 'n roll. She did star in 3 Elvis Presley pics which gave her some cred, I guess.

This was followed by her sitcom brother, Paul Peterson...

View attachment 44529 View attachment 44530
...who let loose with She Can't Find Her Keys and My Dad, no. 6 on the Billlboard 100 in 1962 and even gloppier than Johnny Angel. In his adult life, he ran a limosine service and now the Donna Reed Foundation as well as author of fiction novels. I do give him credit for having once been married to Brenda Benet. Chicka-chicka bow wow...

Then there's Johnny Crawford, son of the Rifleman

View attachment 44531
images

Johnny launched Cindy's Birthday and Your Nose Is Going To Grow. Those titles say it all. However, he stuck with the music in his later life-- Since 1992, Crawford has led a California-based dance orchestra which performs at special events.

Don Grady was one of My Three Sons, as well as an original Disney Mouseketeer
View attachment 44532
images

Although Don never had a hit on the Billboard charts, the show wedged him into several singing scenes.
He did have some musical chops, having written the theme to Blake Edward's Switch as well as the theme song to the Phil Donahue Show. We lost Don to cancer in 2012.

Who am I missing?
Umm, the biggest and most legit star of all, Ricky Nelson!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I’m not sure how I feel about it. I always liked the intro artwork. Didn't care much for the Absinthe House setting as the office. It lacked the smooth coolness of Dino's / B&S office.
I like the artwork of the intro, too. I was referring to the odd pantomime the main characters go through as they are introduced, especially Van Williams and Arlene Howell, who just stand there at attention with goofy expressions on their faces. And then Rex points to the front door as if it were locked and Van and Arlene were morons not to let them in, and then Rex opens the door and comes in anyway. It's. . . odd.

As far as the location next to the Absinthe House, I agree that it was not an optimal setting, but I don't think they were going for smooth coolness. I think they were trying to capture the essence of Bourbon Street, just as they caught the essence of the Strip.

Having been to Bourbon Street, I think they set themselves an impossible task, because much of the essence of Bourbon Street was irreproducible on television at the time. Maybe they should have picked Decatur Street.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Slap me in the face and call me Betty! Knew I missed at least one..
I think Ricky was the ideal of what these other shows were trying to achieve with their kid stars.

How about Annette Funicello and Tall Paul?
1623044-annette_funicello.jpg

In all fairness Shelly Fabares in later interviews said she didn't want to sing, knew she couldn't sing, and it wouldn't have worked if they hadn't doubled her voice so you could hear it.

BTW - Really enjoy the chatter on 77 SS although I think my favorite was HI. How come you never mention SS6?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
How about Annette Funicello and Tall Paul?
1623044-annette_funicello.jpg

In all fairness Shelly Fabares in later interviews said she didn't want to sing, knew she couldn't sing, and it wouldn't have worked if they hadn't doubled her voice so you could hear it.

BTW - Really enjoy the chatter on 77 SS although I think my favorite was HI. How come you never mention SS6?
Nice pic! Although technically Annette was a Mouseketeer on TV, she wasn’t in a family TV series and was already seen somewhat as a singer due to movies.

I’m focused on 77 SS at the moment since it’s currently being broadcast on MeTV— but certainly willing to jump on SS 6 or HE if / when available. I'm conversant on both.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Nice pic! Although technically she was a mouseketeer on TV, she wasn’t in a family TV series and was already seen somewhat as a singer due to movies.
I’m focused on 77 SS at the moment since it’s currently being broadcast on MeTV— but certainly willing to jump on SS 6 or HE if / when available.

You're right of course - but it was worth it to post the picture.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks