What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (12 Viewers)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Like everyone here, I'd love to own 77 Sunset Strip on disc but am honestly curious how in hell a late 50's television series music clearance could be so damned cost prohibitive. Maybe a special limited release of a few thousand DVD sets could lower the music costs and make the surviving fans dreams come true. They did it with Burke's Law, Peter Gunn and Johnny Staccato, for God's sake, and those were full of period tunes as well!
We're still waiting for Season 2 of Burkes Law aren't we?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Like everyone here, I'd love to own 77 Sunset Strip on disc but am honestly curious how in hell a late 50's television series music clearance could be so damned cost prohibitive. Maybe a special limited release of a few thousand DVD sets could lower the music costs and make the surviving fans dreams come true. They did it with Burke's Law, Peter Gunn and Johnny Staccato, for God's sake, and those were full of period tunes as well!

The difference is that all those shows used music written specifically for the series and thus is considered work-for-hire and easily clearable. 77SS used extant numbers from famous songwriters (Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Johnny Mercer, Harry Warren, etc.) that would need to be re-negotiated, and I can speak from personal experience that they're going to demand every penny they can get.

Mike S.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
If you go to this link, it has photographs of the plaques outside each soundstage and what was filmed there.
Stage 12 doesn't list either 77 Sunset Strip OR Hawaiian Eye. But it's possible they used various soundstages
at one time or another.

http://www.thestudiotour.com/warnerbros/stages.shtml
Looks like STAGE 21 was the site for 77 SS. Built in 1935, it also hosted the films Yankee Doodle Dandy and Streetcar Named Desire.
Like Martin suggests, I'm sure they probably shot the series on other stages as well since that seems to be the case with Maverick, Cheyenne and other WB shows.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
The difference is that all those shows used music written specifically for the series and thus is considered work-for-hire and easily clearable. 77SS used extant numbers from famous songwriters (Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Johnny Mercer, Harry Warren, etc.) that would need to be re-negotiated, and I can speak from personal experience that they're going to demand every penny they can get.

Mike, this makes perfect sense, and I have heard that this is also the reason that The Name of The Game is not out on DVD. But if this is indeed the case, why don't the studios say so?

Oh, and just to clarify, the specific rights to be re-negotiated are the DVD royalties, right? Because Warners obviously has the broadcast rights.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Looks like STAGE 21 was the site for 77 SS. Built in 1935, it also hosted the films Yankee Doodle Dandy and Streetcar Named Desire.
Like Martin suggests, I'm sure they probably shot the series on other stages as well since that seems to be the case with Maverick, Cheyenne and other WB shows.
Maybe Stage 21 was where the interior / exterior of Dino's was built and therefore a fairly static structure. Other stages were most likely used because I've recognized interiors from several WB films that were utilized in various 77 SS segments. There's also an actual "jungle" on the backlot that was probably used in "Secret Island" and other fern-infested outdoor scenes. You can also see on the schematic 'New York Street" and "Downtown Plaza" where most of the "downtown" LA stuff is shot, usually with a pretty tight lens to keep the scene / area zeroed in.

upload_2018-1-11_8-27-29.jpeg
images
images
images

Warner Bros. backlot locations

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Just watched "The Legend of Crystal Dart" with Marilyn Maxwell. Enjoyable ski lodge murder mystery.
Maxwell sings "As Time Goes By".
Maxwell was born in my home state of Iowa, Clarinda.
Glenn Miller was also born in Clarinda, IA.
alas, I have never been to that town.

For OTR Fans Maxwell sang on the ABBOTT & COSTELLO show for the 46-47 season.
and on the KRAFT MUSIC HALL during the 43-44 season with Bing Crosby.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"Stranger Than Fiction" starts off strangely with a kid by the name of Joey substituting for Kookie as parking valet. No explanation as to why?
Jeff Spenser is hired by a husband who thinks his wife has been kidnapped when actually she's flown the coop for a younger man. Wifey is played by the very sexy Suzanne Lloyd:

images
images

Canadian actress Miss Lloyd is still with us (she's 83), and had guest starred in many WB vehicles.

Much of the action occurs at a ranch house that I've seen in several episodes. I wish I knew where it was so I could Google Map it. In this episode, it's supposedly located in Zuma Beach, but I doubt if that's it's real location.
When the younger man is asked how he would describe Suzanne Lloyd's character, he states "Rich. Very Rich. Like lobster Newburg". Being a foodie, I much appreciated the likeness.

upload_2018-1-12_9-41-27.jpeg

Lobster Newburg was invented by a sea captain in the fruit trade. The best I ever had was in Chicago's Drake Hotel (Cape Cod Room)

In this particular episode, as in others, I notice that there are often conveniently placed telephone booths for the guys to phone in to the office. Practically one on every corner. Oh, for a cell phone back then! I'm surprised they didn't have radio car phones like the boys had in their Oldsmobiles in Hawaiian Eye.
Jeff ends up being accused by the media and police to covering up the supposed kidnapping, and hides out in Roscoe's apartment while trying to clear himself. I always enjoy seeing Roscoe's digs: a cubbyhole with a bed and filled with horse racing pictures. Of course, by the end Jeff is able to clear his good name and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
"Stranger Than Fiction" starts off strangely with a kid by the name of Joey substituting for Kookie as parking valet. No explanation as to why?
Jeff Spenser is hired by a husband who thinks his wife has been kidnapped when actually she's flown the coop for a younger man. Wifey is played by the very sexy Suzanne Lloyd:

images
images

Canadian actress Miss Lloyd is still with us (she's 83), and had guest starred in many WB vehicles.

Much of the action occurs at a ranch house that I've seen in several episodes. I wish I knew where it was so I could Google Map it. In this episode, it's supposedly located in Zuma Beach, but I doubt if that's it's real location.
When the younger man is asked how he would describe Suzanne Lloyd's character, he states "Rich. Very Rich. Like lobster Newburg". Being a foodie, I much appreciated the likeness.

View attachment 43202
Lobster Newburg was invented by a sea captain in the fruit trade. The best I ever had was in Chicago's Drake Hotel (Cape Cod Room)

In this particular episode, as in others, I notice that there are often conveniently placed telephone booths for the guys to phone in to the office. Practically one on every corner. Oh, for a cell phone back then! I'm surprised they didn't have radio car phones like the boys had in their Oldsmobiles in Hawaiian Eye.
Jeff ends up being accused by the media and police to covering up the supposed kidnapping, and hides out in Roscoe's apartment while trying to clear himself. I always enjoy seeing Roscoe's digs: a cubbyhole with a bed and filled with horse racing pictures. Of course, by the end Jeff is able to clear his good name and we all breathed a sigh of relief.
If you look back this was one of about a dozen episodes without Edd Byrnes while he was out during his contract dispute. He returns in the “Sierra” episode.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Next up on my DVR is the two part "Return to San Dede", to which I'm really not looking forward. I've never gotten into the series' Latin American capers as they seem so silly to require private detectives to be involved in the countries' political turmoils. Maybe a couple of martinis will smooth it out for me.
What IS of interest, however, is the fact that MeTV is coming to the end of Season 2. We should soon learn whether it continues on to Season 3 again, or does the series finally get pre-empted with something else? If there is the Almighty, please let it be Surfside 6 or Hawaiian Eye. I would hate to see this thread come to a screeching end for lack of subject matter.

As a footnote, re-airing towards the end of Season 2 is "The Silent Caper" this Friday, which is easily recognized as one of the cleverest and entertaining of all the 77 SS episodes, written by Roger Smith. I urge you to tune in if you've never seen it before.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Looks like MeTV is rotating back to some Season 3 episodes--seven to be exact, followed by episodes from Season 4. So far, it includes some of my favorites--"The Attic", "Once Upon A Caper", and "Reserved For Mr. Bailey" (Season 4). Each of those are rated three martinis each. Even though I've seen all of these recently, I'm looking forward to watching again!

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Mike S.
While I’m sure you’re correct, how is it that all of Lola Albright’s songs in “Peter Gunn” have always remained intact? She sings those same kinds of
songs by famous composers and yet they’re always included in every release of the series.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I expected to do some 77 SS binge-watching this weekend, but got sidelined re-watching the "Justified" series on Netflix. I just get mesmerized by Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens and the crazy folks from Harlan County, KY. Walt Groggins as Boyd Crowder is just awesome.

images

Tim Olyphant and Walt Groggins in 'Justified'

I did squeeze in the "Perfect Setup" episode, where Jeff Spenser is coerced by Connie Stevens and Anthony Eisley (Hawaiian Eye) into an undercover job in Hawaii. Absolutely no way is one inch of film shot on the island. I'm pretty sure the Jungle backlot at WB is the set.
This seems to be an episode to mainly feature Roger Smith's singing, which he does with at least 3 songs (one of which he wrote himself--'Kona Beach') and a duet with Connie on an airplane. I tried like crazy to discern the maker of his acoustic guitar, but it eluded me. I used to play a Guild 12-string, so there's where my interest stems. You can see a sample of Roger's guitar playing here:

Guest stars include Warren Stevens (who I always confuse with Barry Sullivan) and the lovely Myrna Hansen:

upload_2018-1-15_9-24-38.jpeg
upload_2018-1-15_9-25-55.jpeg

Warren Stevens and Myrna Hansen

The plot involves a scheme to rob the plantation of $150,000 payroll. Carol (Myrna) and her sketchy boyfriend want to fund an escape from Hawaii. Who the hell wants to escape Hawaii?? There's a great scene of Jeff Spenser masterfully skipping rocks over a pond (at least 3 bounces), and a rousing fight sequence between him and Warren Stevens. I rate this one at 2 martinis.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
While I’m sure you’re correct, how is it that all of Lola Albright’s songs in “Peter Gunn” have always remained intact? She sings those same kinds of songs by famous composers and yet they’re always included in every release of the series.

Right, Timeless must have paid MILLIONS in order to include those. Obviously not. To me this is just one of the ten ton gorillas in the room that points to the real truth, that WB just doesn't give a rat's ass. A limited release would do very well and diminish the music rights costs dramatically. But, then, that would involve too much effort and creativity.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Yes, with all due respect to Mike, I have always been skeptical, absent hard evidence, that music rights are ever the insurmountable obstacle to the disc or VOD release of television shows. While I as a member of ARSC am aware that the issue of rights ownership can be impossibly complex, that is not an issue here, and I also know that in terms of cost music rights are in general relatively low compared to the costs of the video rights.

Warners had the rights to use the music when 77 Sunset Strip was created, and I remain skeptical that the incremental costs of adding disc/VOD rights is an insurmountable obstacle for songs that are at least sixty years old now.

Of course, I am eager to be smartened up if I am wrong.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Looks like MeTV is rotating back to some Season 3 episodes--seven to be exact, followed by episodes from Season 4. So far, it includes some of my favorites--"The Attic", "Once Upon A Caper", and "Reserved For Mr. Bailey" (Season 4). Each of those are rated three martinis each. Even though I've seen all of these recently, I'm looking forward to watching again!

Rustifer, where are you getting this information? My own scan of the MeTV schedule indicates they are continuing to strip the show in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks