What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (3 Viewers)

Tom.W

Second Unit
Wow! I knew 77 SS had a board game, but was unaware HE and SS 6 followed suit.
I wonder if Bourbon Street Beat had one, too? I would think the French Quarter would graphically lend itself nicely to a board layout.

I don't know about a board game, but this is a nice album.
bsb cover.jpg

Aside from the theme and My Mother Done Told Me, most of the songs were not used in the episodes, to the best of my knowledge. The mix is in stereo, so it does sound better through headphones or via wired speakers.

By the way, did anyone record and watch the excellent newly produced documentary on Dean Martin that Turner Classic Movies premiered on Friday evening?
I caught the last half hour too. It was fascinating, and the interviews were great. I especially enjoyed Deana's. Pasta fagioli anyone? I didn't realize or maybe forgot that Dean and Jerry made up, at least temporarily, on the telethon. I will look out for the next time it airs.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I didn't realize or maybe forgot that Dean and Jerry made up, at least temporarily, on the telethon.
In re-watching that sequence, I could now see that the reunion between the two--as somewhat forced by Frank Sinatra--was more discomfiting than heartily embraced. Frank kept stupidly repeating "I think it's time, I think it's time..."
It didn't stick.
1637590007441.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
In re-watching that sequence, I could now see that the reunion between the two--as somewhat forced by Frank Sinatra--was more discomfiting than heartily embraced. Frank kept stupidly repeating "I think it's time, I think it's time..."
It didn't stick.
View attachment 119472
I’ll have to respectfully disagree. Sinatra put this together. Dean certainly could have said no. They had been seen together at least 3 times during that 20 year separation but this was a genuinely warm moment. Those smiles aren’t pasted on. And yes it was about time. That’s my two cents.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I’ll have to respectfully disagree. Sinatra put this together. Dean certainly could have said no. They had been seen together at least 3 times during that 20 year separation but this was a genuinely warm moment. Those smiles aren’t pasted on. And yes it was about time. That’s my two cents.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Rob...
Glad to hear your gray cells are knitting back to order. As I age, mine are headed in another direction.
Long long ago on this thread, I mentioned being in Pasadena as an Indiana University freshman in 1967, attending the Rose Bowl as we got whipped by USC and O.J Simpson.
I remember very little of the city, thanks to a bottle of Jim Beam and a joint or two.
Unfortunately in my many subsequent visits to SoCal, I never got back to Pasadena--much to my regret.
About as far as I get these days is our mailbox and occasionally the local CVS.
Dear Russ,

Thanks for your good thoughts, as always. And I know from my many contacts with neurologists and the like, and my own research, that we are never too old for our gray cells to regenerate. And if you ever find yourselves back our way, you are always welcome.

As for myself, as it all turns out much of my problem was in fact caused by a pretty serious asthma attack, not brain injury. Just discovered this last week. A week of heavy medication by my primary doctor has begun to return my sense of smell and voice. Go figure. Also, today I received reports of totally clean tests. I am within sight of complete health.

But it'll take me a while to catch up on things. . . .

Tom.W

Second Unit

lt did look to me like the reunion was staged. But my impression was there was genuine affection. However, Martin is right, they were actors.

No? To Sinatra? 🤖 Was that allowed⁉️

Maybe for Dean and Jerry. But the documentary pointed out that Dean's failing health didn't get in the way of Frank's resentment for his not performing.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Dear Russ,

Thanks for your good thoughts, as always. And I know from my many contacts with neurologists and the like, and my own research, that we are never too old for our gray cells to regenerate. And if you ever find yourselves back our way, you are always welcome.

As for myself, as it all turns out much of my problem was in fact caused by a pretty serious asthma attack, not brain injury. Just discovered this last week. A week of heavy medication by my primary doctor has begun to return my sense of smell and voice. Go figure. Also, today I received reports of totally clean tests. I am within sight of complete health.

But it'll take me a while to catch up on things. . . .
Sounds like some better news at last Rob.
Great to hear. All the best.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I guess it would be nice to imagine that after this "reunion", Dean and Jerry would regularly get together for Sunday brunches, share mimosas and relive the good old days. But the two were never going to act together again. The silly, frantic performances of their earlier stage shows and movies had long passed them by as each were now staid, old straight men consigned to the history books of the entertainment industry. Best to leave it that way.

Frank's hope that "it's time" for Dean and Jerry reminded me of Clive Davis trying to convince Whitney Houston it was her "time" to return to the limelight after her career had been irreparably decimated by drugs. That, too, was never to be.
Just wishing for the glory days doesn't usually lead anywhere positive.

When I began visiting Southern California on a regular basis, I often took a nostalgia detour to the part of Sunset Boulevard where 77 Sunset Strip used to be situated--wishing with all my might that it was still there. I actually half-baked an idea to purchase a house on Miller Drive overlooking that part of Sunset just so I could monitor the area in case it all magically reappeared, or at least so I could absorb the vibes of the past.

As it's been said: When time marches on, it steps on your nose and tail, and leaves boot prints down your back.

But the documentary pointed out that Dean's failing health didn't get in the way of Frank's resentment for his not performing.
I think Frank's resentment stemmed more from losing a drinking / carousing partner. Dean had become a confirmed homebody. All Frank's old peeps were dying off.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Re-post*
77 Sunset Strip
"Lady in the Sun" (S5Ep32)

This odd episode doesn't get much play in discussions of the series. It represents, I think, the waning creativity of scripts as the season was coming to an end and the format being changed in the following last season.

However, what was lacking in writing, it overly compensated with Yvonne Craig and Karen Sharpe parading on set in bathing suits.
The story begins with Stu Bailey in Palm Springs checking into the Palmetto Inn--sort of a pre-Marriott Courtyard motel that I'm guessing most high rollers would have driven past without a second thought of consideration. Also arriving is a van with four youths with plans of their own--Willie (Yvonne Craig), Ron (Richard Davalos), Mel (Fred Vincent), and Ken (Gordon Wescourt). For some inexplicable reason, they enter poolside separately and then act as if casually running into old friends with one another.

I mention poolside, for this is the majority of the setting for the story--an obvious WB set with achingly apparent fake scenery backdrops and voices attaining that odd echo of being in-studio. Ron immediately spots shapely Paula (Karen Sharpe) and sets forth with awkward wooing of the lady. Not even remotely successful with her, he picks up a convenient guitar and the rest of the friends join in instrumentally with Willie singing the old Harry Warren / Al Dubin song "You're getting to be a Habit With Me".

images
upload_2018-12-5_12-4-3.jpeg
upload_2018-12-5_12-4-53.jpeg
upload_2018-12-5_12-9-2.jpeg

Karen Sharpe, Yvonne Craig, Richard Davalos, Fred Beir

The hotel manager likes the group and hires them to perform in the hotel's lounge. In short order, we learn Stu is on site spying on Paula at the behest of her husband Joe Carton (Fred Beir) a real estate agent whose books have been stolen by Paula. The growing relationship between Paula and Ron take up way too much space in the story. Thrown in almost as an aside is wild Hollywood producer, Tip Cabelle, unfortunately miscast with Harry Hickox and his signature lilting voice.

Joe shows up drunk to win back his wife and books, Tip makes successful passes at Paula and Ron sulks at being jilted. Stu stands around with not much to do and Yvonne Craig thankfully spends an inordinate amount of time in her bathing suit. The ending is so predictable that I won't bother revealing it--you'll guess way before it winds up.

This episode appears to be mostly a vehicle to parade WB's stock of contract actors for whatever reason, as Efrem Zimbalist has almost no role as his character Stu Bailey. I sort of liked it mostly because of the pool setting, which focused the story in one area and gave me a chance to check off all the obvious studio clues--lighting, sound, scenery, etc.

NOTE: You may or may not recognize him in a small role—Bernie Kopell, later to be lionized as Dr. Adam Bricker on The Love Boat.

*First posted Dec. 5, 2018

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
77 Sunset Strip

This odd episode doesn't get much play in discussions of the series. It represents, I think, the waning creativity of scripts as the season was coming to an end and the format being changed in the following last season.

However, what was lacking in writing, it overly compensated with Yvonne Craig and Karen Sharpe parading on set in bathing suits.
The story begins with Stu Bailey in Palm Springs checking into the Palmetto Inn--sort of a pre-Marriott Courtyard motel that I'm guessing most high rollers would have driven past without a second thought of consideration. Also arriving is a van with four youths with plans of their own--Willie (Yvonne Craig), Ron (Richard Davalos), Mel (Fred Vincent), and Ken (Gordon Wescourt). For some inexplicable reason, they enter poolside separately and then act as if casually running into old friends with one another.

I mention poolside, for this is the majority of the setting for the story--an obvious WB set with achingly apparent fake scenery backdrops and voices attaining that odd echo of being in-studio. Ron immediately spots shapely Paula (Karen Sharpe) and sets forth with awkward wooing of the lady. Not even remotely successful with her, he picks up a convenient guitar and the rest of the friends join in instrumentally with Willie singing the old Harry Warren / Al Dubin song "You're getting to be a Habit With Me".

images
upload_2018-12-5_12-4-3.jpeg
upload_2018-12-5_12-4-53.jpeg
upload_2018-12-5_12-9-2.jpeg

Karen Sharpe, Yvonne Craig, Richard Davalos, Fred Beir

The hotel manager likes the group and hires them to perform in the hotel's lounge. In short order, we learn Stu is on site spying on Paula at the behest of her husband Joe Carton (Fred Beir) a real estate agent whose books have been stolen by Paula. The growing relationship between Paula and Ron take up way too much space in the story. Thrown in almost as an aside is wild Hollywood producer, Tip Cabelle, unfortunately miscast with Harry Hickox and his signature lilting voice.

Joe shows up drunk to win back his wife and books, Tip makes successful passes at Paula and Ron sulks at being jilted. Stu stands around with not much to do and Yvonne Craig thankfully spends an inordinate amount of time in her bathing suit. The ending is so predictable that I won't bother revealing it--you'll guess way before it winds up.

This episode appears to be mostly a vehicle to parade WB's stock of contract actors for whatever reason, as Efrem Zimbalist has almost no role as his character Stu Bailey. I sort of liked it mostly because of the pool setting, which focused the story in one area and gave me a chance to check off all the obvious studio clues--lighting, sound, scenery, etc.

NOTE: You may or may not recognize him in a small role—Bernie Kopell, later to be lionized as Dr. Adam Bricker on The Love Boat.

*First posted Dec. 5, 2018
Always hate to disagree, respectfully or not, but that doesn’t look like Karen Sharpe to me. This does…
87FD4A3B-EFE7-4EB8-97C1-B6DD8A423D71.jpeg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
My perfunctory search tells me that photo is of Karen Steele. Russ, sometimes, if you search for images, I've found that if there isn't a lot of them, meaning less well known, it will sometimes just use half the name you're searching (like Karen) or might even bring up other photos from a page that mentions the person you are looking for, even if the photos shown have nothing to do with said person, but are on the page mentioning said person.

By the way, has it been mentioned that Karen Sharpe was Mrs. Stanley Kramer? She used to come to screenings of Stanley Kramer movies shown at AMPAS and talk about them and her husband. She's quite short, too.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Episode Re-post*
77 Sunset Strip

Nice synopsis as usual Russ! I think I like it a little more than you do, but I do see your point, as some story elements just seem more contrived to stretch the story out to a 52 minute running time than to serve the essential plotline itself. And there's very little mystery. Still, It's one of my favorite later season five episodes. But as you said, it does feature plenty of the lovely Karen Sharpe and Yvonne Craig...and Yvonne sings, although I have no idea if that is her own voice or dubbed by some other singer.

I remember when we discussed this the first time that someone (Gary?) said that he thought it was a backdoor pilot by Warner's with a prospective new series in mind for Dick Davalos and Yvonne Craig portraying these young musician-grifters blowing around with their band and having adventures, sometimes helping to solve crimes, etc., which might be the case? Seems plausible to me. Notable screenwriter Dean Riesner wrote the teleplay, adapted from an original story by Thomas Ahearn and Morton Grant, not the usual pedigree for the average WB TV episode. Dean Riesner later found fame as Clint Eastwood's favorite writer, producing the screenplays for Coogan's Bluff, Dirty Harry, Play Misty For Me, The Enforcer, etc. I originally posted these screen caps from Lady in the Sun a few years back, but here they are again...
77 Sunset Strip 4.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 5.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 8.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 19.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 20.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 27.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 30.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 32.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 14.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 34.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 36.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 39.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 44.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 43.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 42.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 40.JPG
77 Sunset Strip 41.JPG

Yes, Karen Sharpe (still with us at age 87 and still working with current credits!) was a lovely woman and a good actress...here she is in the 1956 John Wayne produced movie Man in the Vault, with William Campbell...my screen caps from the Paramount DVD as found in the John Wayne (Batjac) Suspense Collection...
Man Vault 21.JPG

Man Vault 9.JPG

Man Vault 10.JPG

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Nice synopsis as usual Russ! I think I like it a little more than you do, but I do see your point, as some story elements just seem more contrived to stretch the story out to a 52 minute running time than to serve the essential plotline itself. And there's very little mystery. Still, It's one of my favorite later season five episodes. But as you said, it does feature plenty of the lovely Karen Sharpe and Yvonne Craig...and Yvonne sings, although I have no idea if that is her own voice or dubbed by some other singer.

I remember when we discussed this the first time that someone (Gary?) said that he thought it was a backdoor pilot by Warner's with a prospective new series in mind for Dick Davalos and Yvonne Craig portraying these young musician-grifters blowing around with their band and having adventures, sometimes helping to solve crimes, etc., which might be the case? Seems plausible to me. Notable screenwriter Dean Riesner wrote the teleplay, adapted from an original story by Thomas Ahearn and Morton Grant, not the usual pedigree for the average WB TV episode. Dean Riesner later found fame as Clint Eastwood's favorite writer, producing the screenplays for Coogan's Bluff, Dirty Harry, Play Misty For Me, The Enforcer, etc. I originally posted these screen caps from Lady in the Sun a few years back, but here they are again...
View attachment 119657
View attachment 119658
View attachment 119667
View attachment 119661
View attachment 119662
View attachment 119664
View attachment 119665
View attachment 119666
View attachment 119670
View attachment 119671
View attachment 119672
View attachment 119673
View attachment 119674
View attachment 119675
View attachment 119676
View attachment 119677
View attachment 119678

Yes, Karen Sharpe (still with us at age 87 and still working with current credits!) was a lovely woman and a good actress...here she is in the 1956 John Wayne produced movie Man in the Vault, with William Campbell...my screen caps from the Paramount DVD as found in the John Wayne (Batjac) Suspense Collection...
View attachment 119687
View attachment 119684
View attachment 119686
Great post. IMDb confirms that’s Yvonne doing her own vocals.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Psst, ABC brought back 77 SS back in repeats of episodes from earlier seasons in the spring of 1964. There are YouTube videos where announcer Dick Tufeld could be heard instead of that other guy. Also, the WB fanfare from season six can be seen followed by an ABC presentation bumper. Who was the original announcer?

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Psst, ABC brought back 77 SS back in repeats of episodes from earlier seasons in the spring of 1964. There are YouTube videos where announcer Dick Tufeld could be heard instead of that other guy. Also, the WB fanfare from season six can be seen followed by an ABC presentation bumper. Who was the original announcer?
I believe Ed Reimers is the voice heard over the series opening. You may remember him as the one who did the ancient "You're in good hands with Allstate" ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks