What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, new cast regular and Kookie replacement/parking attendant Robert Logan. And I believe the publicity shot is for season four's The Chrome Coffin...
190854466_4490775437604138_3108975458638845875_n.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Stephen ONeal (a member here on HTF as well) posts a lot of great stuff on the Facebook 77 Sunset Strip group page. Here is some of it!
256583705_4736902583021942_2114928789617402213_n.jpg

Las Vegas Desert Sun, January 23, 1960...what Ed Byrnes was up to while under suspension by WB...
256369394_4733593986686135_487340800885290545_n.jpg

Ed 'Kookie' Byrnes' big movie for 1965, Beach Ball...they're dancin', they're racin', they're sky divin', they're skin divin', they're surfin'...with Diana Ross and the Supremes!, The Righteous Brothers!, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons!

Trailer (2:22) in HD...

Full movie, 1:28:17...recorded off VH-1...

Last edited:

Ree

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anne
Stephen ONeal (a member here on HTF as well) posts a lot of great stuff on the Facebook 77 Sunset Strip group page. Here is some of it!
256583705_4736902583021942_2114928789617402213_n.jpg

Las Vegas Desert Sun, January 23, 1960...what Ed Byrnes was up to while under suspension by WB...
256369394_4733593986686135_487340800885290545_n.jpg

Ed 'Kookie' Byrnes' big movie for 1965, Beach Ball...they're dancin', they're racin', they're sky divin', they're skin divin', they're surfin'...with Diana Ross and the Supremes!, The Righteous Brothers!, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons!

Trailer (2:22) in HD...

Full movie, 1:28:17...recorded off VH-1...

Oh my! Even WB seems to have given Edd better films than this. Yellowstone Kelly was, at least, watchable.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Efrem and Diane Brewster in a fine publicity photo for 77 Sunset Strip's season six, Dead As In Dude...January 31, 1964...of course, that same season, Diane Brewster was seen fleetingly as the murdered wife of David Janssen's Dr. Richard Kimble on season one of The Fugitive...
217225676_4618451784836502_7534611712893562083_n.jpg

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Hawaiian Eye
"Cricket's Millionaire" (S3E20)

Cricket has an admirer--in addition to every male over 12 on the island. Arnold Glen Weston III is a millionaire big game hunter who apparently, after seeing Cricket perform in the Shell Bar, has been hoisting his own tent pole ever since. Through his publicity agent, fast-talking Eddie Felton (Peter Leeds), Arnold sends Cricket a homemade movie of him hunting down an African Rhinoceros. Cricket, transfixed by the Rhino's horn, squirms restlessly in her chair while watching the film 4 times in a row. Seems Cricket has come to appreciate horny things.

As a token of his affection, Arnold sends her the rhino's stuffed head--which doesn't fit in her nightstand along with her other private implements, so she leaves it with Tom and Tracy at the office. No one can say Cricket's not handy for leaving behind a good head among friends. Up to this point, we've never seen Arnold Glen Weston III, being the world traveler he is--in Majorca one day, Muncie Indiana the next.

images
1636992535363.jpeg
1636992576247.jpeg
1636992633045.jpeg

Connie Stevens; Anne Whitfield; Peter Leeds; James Cresson

There's nothing wrong with featuring Connie Stevens in an episode--her girlish yet sexy aura is a delight to watch. But as Cricket, she's dumb as a coffee urn. She doesn't realize that Eddie has invented Arnold Glen Weston III as a means to promote his own publicity agent status. Turns out Denny Burke (James Cresson)--a handsome but two bit penniless actor--has been set up as the fictional "Arnold" to woo Cricket into signing him as her agent. Trouble is, Denny's actually in love with Cricket's friend Allison (Anne Whitfield), granddaughter of old rich Amos Kendall. Denny/Arnold makes a point of dropping Cricket for the opportunity to marry into Grandad's millions.

Cricket takes the rejection in stride--after all, she still has her rhino head and nightstand toys to keep her occupied. But as a woman scorned, she's driven to expose Eddie and Denny's Arnold Weston hoax to save her friend Allison. To rescue the script from sinking further into a morass of confusion, Tom and Tracy finally step in to uncover the truth and waste Denny before he kills Cricket. The world can rest easy now that a stuffed rhino head has found a peace in Honolulu.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Thanks for the good thoughts, Russ and Randall. I've discovered that the road back from a "Severe Brain Injury" is much longer and twistier than I at first anticipated. The story is far too long to detail here, but let me just say that of my five senses, my hearing is the only one undiminished. Hopefully they will all come back. I was for a while feeling pretty stupid and my memory was kablooie, but these things have repaired themselves and in some aspects are actually better than before.

I've mostly been keeping myself busy expanding my Plex directories. I've been working on the Huggins wing lately, to compliment my 77SS OTA recordings. Just added seasons 1–3 of Maverick, the complete series of The Rockford Files, and season 1 of Alias Smith And Jones (Huggins didn't create it, but he ran it). I will soon add the complete The Fugitive. I'd like to get The Outsider, but my sources for non-commercial offerings have failed me. I do have the pilot, at least.

My friend has successfully gotten me hooked on The Big Bang Theory. I mention this off-topic show only because we live smack dab in the middle of that show's landscape. One of my nieces visited last weekend; she grew up in Chicago, but recently moved to Las Vegas. We went to lunch at the California Pizza Kitchen on Los Robles at Union, and were sitting outside waiting for a table when I asked her whether she watched BBT. She said she loved the show, so I pointed up and to the west at the City Hall dome, which appears in every show. She of course recognized it; it was within a stone's throw.

Probably the most recognizable City Hall (to TV watchers) is LA's. And the second is probably San Francisco's. But—and please correct me if I'm wrong—the third most recognizable City Hall may well be Pasadena's. Before you scoff at that, look it up on Google and see if you don't at least recognize the dome.

Pasadena's City Hall is grandiose completely out of scale to the city's size. But an awful lot of history has happened at least within sight of here, e.g., the discovery that the universe is expanding. But that involves other domes, ones that I can see from my backyard.

And Pasadena was within the sphere of 77SS.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Thanks for the good thoughts, Russ and Randall. I've discovered that the road back from a "Severe Brain Injury" is much longer and twistier than I at first anticipated. The story is far too long to detail here, but let me just say that of my five senses, my hearing is the only one undiminished. Hopefully they will all come back. I was for a while feeling pretty stupid and my memory was kablooie, but these things have repaired themselves and in some aspects are actually better than before.

I've mostly been keeping myself busy expanding my Plex directories. I've been working on the Huggins wing lately, to compliment my 77SS OTA recordings. Just added seasons 1–3 of Maverick, the complete series of The Rockford Files, and season 1 of Alias Smith And Jones (Huggins didn't create it, but he ran it). I will soon add the complete The Fugitive. I'd like to get The Outsider, but my sources for non-commercial offerings have failed me. I do have the pilot, at least.

My friend has successfully gotten me hooked on The Big Bang Theory. I mention this off-topic show only because we live smack dab in the middle of that show's landscape. One of my nieces visited last weekend; she grew up in Chicago, but recently moved to Las Vegas. We went to lunch at the California Pizza Kitchen on Los Robles at Union, and were sitting outside waiting for a table when I asked her whether she watched BBT. She said she loved the show, so I pointed up and to the west at the City Hall dome, which appears in every show. She of course recognized it.

Probably the most recognizable City Hall (to TV watchers) is LA's. And the second is probably San Francisco's. But—and please correct me if I'm wrong—the third most recognizable City Hall may well be Pasadena's. Before you scoff at that, look it up on Google and see if you don't at least recognize the dome.

Pasadena's City Hall is grandiose completely out of scale to the city's size. But an awful lot of history has happened at least within sight of here, e.g., the discovery that the universe is expanding. But that involves other domes.

And Pasadena was within the sphere of 77SS.
Rob...
Glad to hear your gray cells are knitting back to order. As I age, mine are headed in another direction.
Long long ago on this thread, I mentioned being in Pasadena as an Indiana University freshman in 1967, attending the Rose Bowl as we got whipped by USC and O.J Simpson.
I remember very little of the city, thanks to a bottle of Jim Beam and a joint or two.
Unfortunately in my many subsequent visits to SoCal, I never got back to Pasadena--much to my regret.
About as far as I get these days is our mailbox and occasionally the local CVS.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Still a fun 90 minutes if one is the mood for a bad movie and lots of good 60's tunes. Who knew that JR was akin to Ringo on the drums, haha? Was there ever a clue of that on 77SS?

Ree

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anne
View attachment 119415

View attachment 119416
View attachment 119417
View attachment 119418

By the way, did anyone record and watch the excellent newly produced documentary on Dean Martin that Turner Classic Movies premiered on Friday evening?
I did watch it, and recommend it highly. I especially enjoyed the description of the Martin & Lewis years, about which I knew little - just recall that their break-up was a huge deal in the movie mags of my adolesence.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I did watch it, and recommend it highly. I especially enjoyed the description of the Martin & Lewis years, about which I knew little - just recall that their break-up was a huge deal in the movie mags of my adolesence.
Great to hear, Anne. TCM and the producers of the new documentary did a great job, and the effort and love behind it was obvious. BTW, I should have mentioned that the title is The King of Cool...which the guy certainly was!

Also, for anyone interested in getting 11 of the best Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies on DVD (until recently long out of print) in one affordable package (as well as 9 Jerry Lewis solo outings, including some of his absolute best) there is a NEW 15 disc DVD compilation just recently released by Paramount...
Amazon product

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member