What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (2 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Publicity photo of Efrem Zimbalist Jr. from Warner Brothers' Conflict, Anything For Money (April 16, 1957), the first appearance on television for the Stuart Bailey character...
1610450987905.png

Efrem with Robert Ryan at far left...identify others if you can....
1610451471472.png

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Rob, glad to hear you're back to normal. Glad to hear something lately has been "miraculous" as you say!

ExCELLENT news, Rob!! Been there myself with BP meds.

Russ, Rob...I take BP meds, too. How does one have an over dosage? Asking as I want to avoid that, obviously!!!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Rob, glad to hear you're back to normal. Glad to hear something lately has been "miraculous" as you say!

Russ, Rob...I take BP meds, too. How does one have an over dosage? Asking as I want to avoid that, obviously!!!
Martin
In my case, my initial prescribed dosage was a bit overpowering. Foolishly, I had a cocktail or two that caused a bad reaction. I dropped like a stone in the middle of my kitchen. Learned later that it triggered an afib attack.
Made adjustments since then. All fine now.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
In my case, the overdose is a long story. But basically, after my valve replacement my heart was still pumping very hard. I was given the max dose of a strong BP med in order to get my heart to calm down. When that worked, I asked my cardiologist to adjust my meds and he didn't want to without my wearing a heart monitor for a month.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your kind words.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
In my case, the overdose is a long story. But basically, after my valve replacement my heart was still pumping very hard. I was given the max dose of a strong BP med in order to get my heart to calm down. When that worked, I asked my cardiologist to adjust my meds and he didn't want to without my wearing a heart monitor for a month.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your kind words.
I see that I didn't actually answer the question. What happened is unknown, but the educated guess is that my heart got so slow that it stopped and I just keeled over, which woke me up.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Does "Dan Raven" ring any bells with anyone?

This popped up on one of my searches for something to do with the Sunset Strip and it was something I never heard of before!

Apparently for a short time there was a Columbia Television series set on the Sunset Strip during the same period 77 Sunset Strip was airing. You could have watched Dan Raven on NBC from 7:30-8:30 and then 77 Sunset Strip at 9:00 on ABC!

From Wikipedia: Dan Raven is an American police drama that aired on NBC during the 1960-1961 television season. It stars Skip Homeier and Dan Barton as Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department detectives whose beat is the Sunset Strip. Lieutenant Dan Raven and his partner, Detective Sergeant Burke, work the night shift in the West Hollywood Division, where their beat is the Sunset Strip. The work brings them into frequent contact with celebrities such as singers, actors, and comedians. Perry Levitt is a magazine photographer working the Hollywood beat who frequently appears on the scene as Raven and Burke investigate crime in and around the many entertainment venues along the Strip. Guest stars, such as Bobby Darin, Marty Ingels and Paul Anka often portrayed themselves.

There are some short clips from this series on youtube.

Mystery
There's even a mystery involved with the series that perhaps the boys over at "77" could solve: Confusion exists over the number of episodes filmed for Dan Raven and the show's broadcast history. Alex McNeill′s Total Television claims that the show premiered in a 30-minute format on January 23, 1960, airing on Saturdays, then expanded to a 60-minute format beginning with the broadcast of September 23, 1960, and numerous other sources repeat this claim. According to Brooks and Marsh′s Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, however, the show premiered on September 23, 1960 and consisted only of 60-minute episodes. The 60-minute episodes on and after September 23, 1960, are well documented, but no source provides any information on any 30-minute episodes or any episodes broadcast prior to September 23, 1960. The Classic TV Archive states that 30-minute episodes may have aired on Saturdays prior to September 23, 1960, but that "no details" about them exist.

We should get Bailey & Spencer on this case.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Interesting info on Dan Raven Martin! I have two episodes in a box somewhere, among many, many boxes...I'd love to see the entirety of this interesting series, another "Jazz Detective" along the lines of Johnny Staccato and Peter Gunn...Bobby Darin fans, of which there are plenty, would love to see this series available, I'm sure...too bad it didn't work out for Skip Homeier, a former child star, and thus he had to go back to playing villains and crazies for the most part...

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
From the 77 Sunset Strip page on FB, pictures taken by member Patricia Reeves at 8524 Sunset Strip, the breezeway, as it was in 2012...another snapshot in time for a block totally altered by redevelopment since then...
View attachment 87458
View attachment 87459
View attachment 87460
Yep. I've been there and took nearly the same photos of the area. The breezeway and parking lot in back was about the only recognizable features from the old layout--and now that's even gone. I stood for nearly 45 minutes in the lot just imagining of how it once was. Even sadder was the fact that the series was hardly ever filmed at that actual location--having had a duplicate facade built in the WB studio.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Hawaiian Eye
"The Classic Cab" (S3E23)

Right off the bat in the beginning of this episode, Tracey Steele (Anthony Eisley) tries to pick up one of the hotel's more attractive guests, Julia Abbott (Kathleen Crowley). When one sports a pencil-thin moustache, brycreem hair and wears a white linen suit, it just comes naturally. Tracey's pickup line--"I'm investigating a complaint that the view of the ocean from my balcony is being wasted. May I..." She cuts him off abruptly. It appears that Miss Abbott's undergarments will not become souvenirs in Tracey's collection.

Instead, Julia jumps into Kim's cab where he (Poncie Ponce) drives her to the house in which she grew up. While she fingers the furnishings nostalgically, Kim discovers a vintage Rolls limo in her garage. It's common knowledge that Hawaiian cabbies are in the top 1% of wage earners, so Kim is able to fork out cash and buy the vehicle. In no time, he junks up the auto with a rooftop taxi globe and his logo painted crudely on the doors' sides. What was once a classic showpiece is now practically a Keystone Kops car.

Racketeer Floyd Hollis (John Daheim) recognizes the limo, it seemingly holding an unnatural fascination for him. Kim is offered a crapload of cash for the car, but a cab driver and his limo are not easily parted. Indeed, there is something special about the limo--perhaps it's the power windows and brakes--hot options back in the day. Soon, others are interested in purchasing Kim's pride and joy. We know not why yet...but can guess.

1612192228212.png
1612192287521.png
1612192407196.png

Tracey shoots a cow patty before stepping in it, Cricket's just wild about Harry; the boys hard at work...

Meanwhile, in the Shell Bar, Cricket (Connie Stevens) sticks with the classics by singing "I'm Just Wild About Harry", a crowd favorite by the applause. I'm hoping one of these days she belts out another classic-- "Louie Louie". I'd pay good money to se that. Outside the hotel, shots are fired at Kim's limo, thus raising Tracey's suspicions. Is there a connection between Julia, the limo and the racketeers? What makes the car so special? How often does Tracey trim his moustache? Oh, so many questions.

My copy of this episode was so poor as if filmed in Super 8 and lit by flashlights and matches. So far as I could gather, the true worth of the limo was the rumor that Julia kept a supply of her panties in the glove box. I mean, racketeers have been known to chase after less.*

*Actually, hidden with the frame of the limo was $300K in cash from prior robberies. Personally, I think Kathleen Crowley's panties are more valuable.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
My copy of this episode was so poor as if filmed in Super 8 and lit by flashlights and matches. So far as I could gather, the true worth of the limo was the rumor that Julia kept a supply of her panties in the glove box. I mean. racketeers have been known to chase after less.*

*Actually, hidden with the frame of the limo was $300K in cash from prior robberies. Personally, I think Kathleen Crowley's panties are more valuable.
Russ, my copy of Classic Cab (kab?) must be identical to your source, as the night scenes are impossibly dark on mine. Enjoyable episode nonetheless, as was your review.
View attachment 87558

1612195552705.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks