77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Richard Gallagher

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Well, Welk had good musicians, and with little turnover his band was a fairly tight unit. Lombardo's band was the same way.
Many people may not know that as late as 1961 Welk had a #1 hit with the tune "Calcutta." Adults still bought singles in those days.

My grandmother lived with us and we had only one TV so I saw a lot of bubbles.

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randall
Bourbon Street Beat ep 3, Torch Song for Trumpet (Oct. 9, 1959) 47:49, Brad Dexter, Richard Rust Suzanne Lloyd...followed by ep 4, Woman in the River (Oct. 26, 1959) Jeanette Nolan, Raymond Bailey, Denver Pyle, Henry Brandon...and an uncredited soaked to the skin Mary Tyler Moore!

Last edited:

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
A couple notes from the last couple pages!

Randall, I have run into that WB cast pic before. Here are the I.D.s from the Western Clippings site. Some of them are wrong. I'll add my alleged corrections and additions below, before the editing window closes.
It's amusing that whoever ID'd all these people on the photo had placed Roger Moore on both ends of it.

And I love Robert Conrad's purse.

Also, YAY for GoodLife when they aired shows like this, but NAY--their logo on the bottom right is so obtrusive...it should've been cut in half. Whatayagonnado?

And we've all felt this frustration more than once:

Wish WB would get on the stick, figure out the music rights issues or whatever they're claiming is holding things up, and release these WB detective shows on DVD already...

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Many people may not know that as late as 1961 Welk had a #1 hit with the tune "Calcutta." Adults still bought singles in those days.

Rich, I'd forgotten about "Calcutta." But I do have a few older Welk 78s in my collection. I have never cottoned to "sweet" music from my lifetime, but back in the 1925-1935 pre-Swing period there were some great sweet bands: Lombardo, Jacques Renard, a few of the British bands. And every big dance band had to do some sweet stuff. Even Red Nichols did some.

Reactions: Richard Gallagher

Rustifer

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
Anyone seen Penny Dreadful City of Angels which takes place in 1930's Los Angeles? I haven't checked it out yet. Tonight, HBO's Perry Mason origin story series, which also takes place in 1930's Los Angeles, begins.
So, Martin, I took up your recommendation to watch Showtime's Penny Dreadful: City of Angels and have roared through the first 9 episodes. Absolutely fascinating take on 1930's LA, cross-tabbing Mexicans, Nazis and Angelinos and the turmoil between them in this particular era. Great production job of recreating the era with tremendous stylish flair.
Nathan Lane as a hard-bitten police detective is a marvel to watch--it's definitely not the same Nathan Lane we know and love.

Rob--you would find this interesting as well--even though the story mostly takes place in LA, Pasadena plays a big role in the story.

The versatile Natalie Dormer plays several roles, all of them creepy--but you cannot take your eyes off her when she's on screen.

1593170220539.png
1593170270620.png

Daniel Zovatta and Nathan Lane; Natalie Dormer

I haven't gotten around to Perry Mason yet having been somewhat put off by some of its reviews. I'm not sure my mind can shake off the image of Raymond Burr in favor of Matthew Rhys.

With that, I promise to get back to the subject matter of this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Flugel

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Russ, thanks. I'll start watching City of Angels per your recommendation.

I'm not sure my mind can shake off the image of Raymond Burr in favor of Matthew Rhys.
Or the 1930's Perry Mason? With Warren William, pictured, in the
first 4, and the last 2 were Ricardo Cortez and Donald Woods.

Or the 1970's Perry Mason? Monte Markham (15 episodes).
The New Perry Mason Poster

FYI: The HBO one was originally going to be Robert Downey, Jr.,
but the reason he wasn't is said to be a full movie schedule.

Reactions: Rustifer

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan

He also had other top ten hits around that time like "Yellow Bird" and "Baby Elephant Walk". Again my mother loved him. I did not.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Episode Commentary
Hawaiian Eye
"Final Score" (S3E10)

Just when you think you're in paradise, you find there's active volcanoes in Hawaii. Yeah, those nasty things from the BBQ gods that spew molten goo everywhere, incinerating everything in its path.

The Lava Club, of which Greg MacKenzie (Grant Williams) and Tracy Steele (Anthony Eisley) are card-carrying members, seems to be some sort of civil social club that honors citizens for altruistic deeds. Local icon Artinius Breckenridge (Jerome Cowan), a renown volcano expert, has been imbued with the club's "Citizen of the Year" award. It's a big deal to get such an award from the Lava Club.

But Artinius is no hero--he's actually a cheap con artist with a scheme to fool people that the local volcano is about to blow. Of course, if true, property values in the area are going to drop faster than a teen's drawers on prom night. And that's what Artinian is hoping for--a chance to buy great swaths of land for practically zilch. Enter fellow con, sloe-eyed Marsha (Marie Windsor), demanding a piece of Artinian's land grab action. Scurrilous has no bounds between the two of them.

View attachment 74538 View attachment 74540 View attachment 74541 View attachment 74542
Jerome Cowan; Marie Windsor; Gale Page; Jeff Cooper

Artinian, to maintain his Citizen of the Year image, is hosting a little league game that attracts Greg and Tracy--who appear to have nothing better to do. Crime on the island must be at an all time low. The ballgame is to be played on the property of the indomitable Dame Whittelby (Gale Page), who is mostly concerned that cocktails are always present. This is where Artinian begins his rumor of a pending volcano eruption, to which Dame Wittelby's property is closest. She immediately hires Tracy to look into Artinian's claim for a whopping $100 a day. One probably couldn't buy a stick of gum for $100 in Hawaii today. Nevertheless, Tracy is nearly out of hair gel and needs the cash.

Cut to the Shell Bar, where Cricket (Connie Stevens) has developed a certain moistness for Marsha's hired young gun, Orville (Jeff Cooper). Tracy is quick to see that Marsha and Orville are up to no good--which in turn casts suspicions on Artinian. Volcanoes suddenly become a subject of interest. While we chew on this, Cricket warbles "Down Where the Trade Winds Play", a tune about as catchy as "Happy Birthday". Much to Tracy's dismay, Cricket and Orville take off for the beach, most likely to commingle sand in their privates.

But enough of this confusing harangue. Artinian, Marsha and Orville eventually overstep their greed and unavoidably reveal their scheme. Citizen of the Year Artinian gets burned, and not by volcanic lava.
After learning Orville is nothing more than a crummy crook, Cricket purchases a pregnancy kit.
This one tops them all for comedy relief.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
I've always been a sucker for airplane disaster movies--all the Airport series, the High and the Mighty, No Highway in the Sky, The Crowded Sky, et al.
I know, off topic, Russ, but there's a NEW one of these movies, an Amazon Studios film on Amazon Prime now.

I watched it last night. It stars Joseph Gordon Levitt. If you're interested, it's best not to know a lot about it because of what it's about. Suffice it to say that he plays a co-pilot and "7500" is code for an airplane hijacking.

I liked it, FWIW. I looked up critic reviews and I sense that the ones who aren't finding it as satisfying as they'd like is because the film plays out, not totally, but in sort of real time. So that it's not a movie that tells you things you might want to know, like why is what's happening happening, or contextual things about any of the characters. It's almost like what circumstances would be like if you were there in the moment and when it's over it's over. And you have questions that won't be answered. I thought it was a tense 90 minute edge of your seat movie.

It's not "Flight From Escondido" (S4Ep35), but it's new!

Reactions: criblecoblis

Rustifer

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
It's not "Flight From Escondido" (S4Ep35), but it's new!
Good job, Martin, of at least trying to to make a connection to this thread's topic by mentioning a 77 SS episode.
I shall check out 7500.

I hope you've had a chance to watch some of Penny Dreadful: City of Angels.

This one tops them all for comedy relief.
Thanks, Bob. I try to push at least a giggle or two in my commentaries.

Rustifer

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Hawaiian Eye
"Two For The Money" (S3E11)--1961

Old Lucien Hammond (Oliver McGowan) is seeking his estranged daughter Margaret--whom he hasn't seen since she was 4 years old. Based on whatever spinning wheel the Hawaiian Eye guys use to determine who gets the next case, this time it falls to Greg MacKenzie (Grant Williams). Greg is not particularly interested and would just as soon drop the case faster than a face mask at a Trump rally. But after taking Greg on a tour of his daughter's fussy kiddy bedroom, Lucien convinces Greg to hop a plane to LA to begin the search for the elusive Margaret. He hands Greg a check for $5,000, which immediately hits the "ON" switch to Greg's enthusiasm for the case. These Hawaiian Eye guys don't work for peanuts, y'know.

Heading to LA makes me think WB is about to finagle one of its cross-over scenes with it's flagship series 77 Sunset Strip. Let's see if it happens. Cricket gives Greg a big wet kiss goodbye before he boards the plane. I'm beginning to think that each of the detectives has his own unique boinking schedule with her. Cut to stock footage of a plane landing at LAX. This is how we know Greg is now in the City of Angels, better known as Stage 1, Warner Bros. Burbank Studios. And guess who's on hand to meet him? None other than Jeff Spencer (Roger Smith), who's done a bit of advance legwork for Greg. Cue the abrupt exit of Jeff Spencer at this point, for WB doesn't want us to get too confused as to which series we're watching.

1593442305882.png
1593442354216.png
1593442387048.png
1593442442863.png

Oliver McGowan; Patricia Michon; Mary Tyler Moore; Richard Deacon

An article in the Balboa Gazette affords Greg his first clue to Margaret's whereabouts. If you want to know what's going on in the world, you read the Balboa Gazette. But hey, it gives Greg the opportunity to visit the Newport Beach area--and boom!--he finds Margaret (Patricia Michon) almost immediately. Time to haul her back to Daddy in Hawaii. But it can't be that easy. After all, it's an hour long show.

Of course, Daddy Lucien is ecstatic to see his daughter again. In the meantime, Tom Lopaka (Robert Conrad) finds out there's another claiming to be Lucien Hammond's daughter, right there in Hawaii. Greg looks her up. She (Mary Tyler Moore) accuses the other is a fake. So who's the real Maggie? I'm pulling for Mary Tyler Moore 'cause she's prettier than Patricia Michon. As we contemplate this, we get to hear Cricket lip sync "Just a Cottage Small by a Waterfall" (1925), a song that would put even Perry Como asleep.

So who's the real Margaret? Who cares? Greg got his $5,000 to find her and now Daddy had two to choose from. Get it--"Two for the Money"? Sounds like a win-win to me. Oh, it's a good episode regardless. I just like to make fun of stuff.

Note:
Jeff Spencer actually does show up again at the end in a goofy sequence with a funeral director (Richard Deacon), who's wrapped tighter than a vending machine sandwich. Even though underplayed, the scene is quite humorous.

I also wonder if this is the first time Mel Cooley meets Laura Petrie...

1593442628646.png

Richard Gallagher

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Getting back on topic, at least two instrumental versions of the theme to 77 Sunset Strip charted. Roger Smith even recorded a cha-cha version.

The period 1958-1962 was the heyday of hit instrumentals, whether rock 'n' roll, pop, country, jazz, or easy listening. The variety of artists who charted with instrumentals during that period is pretty remarkable. Here are some with representative song titles:

The Champs "Tequila"
Billy Vaughn "A Swingin' Safari"
Ray Anthony "Peter Gunn"
Link Wray "Rumble"
Duane Eddy "Rebel Rouser"
Johnny & the Hurricanes "Red River Rock"
Santo & Johnny "Sleep Walk"
Chet Atkins "Teensville"
Bill Black's Combo "White Silver Sands"
Percy Faith "Theme From a Summer Place"
Frank Chacksfield "On the Beach"
Pete Fountain "A Closer Walk"
Henry Mancini "Mr. Lucky"
Roger Williams "Temptation"
Ferrante & Teicher "Exodus"
The Ventures "Walk - Don't Run"
Don Costa "Never on Sunday"
Mantovani "The Sundowners"
Floyd Cramer "Last Date"
Bert Kaempfert "Wonderland by Night"
Al Caiola "The Magnificent Seven"
The Ramrods "Ghost Riders in the Sky"
Ray Charles "One Mint Julep"
Lawrence Welk "Calcutta"
Kenny Ball "Midnight in Moscow"
David Rose "The Stripper"
Count Basie "The Basie Twist"
Dick Dale "Let's Go Trippin'"
Ace Cannon "Tuff"
Mr. Acker Bilk "Stranger on the Shore"
King Curtis "Soul Twist"
Sandy Nelson "Let There Be Drums"
Nelson Riddle "Route 66 Theme"
Booker T & The MGs "Green Onions"
The Tijuana Brass "The Lonely Bull"
The Routers "Let's Go"
The Tornadoes "Telstar"
B. Bumble & The Stingers "Bumble Boogie"
James Brown "Night Train"
Bent Fabric "Alley Cat"

Rustifer

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Russ J.
Getting back on topic, at least two instrumental versions of the theme to 77 Sunset Strip charted. Roger Smith even recorded a cha-cha version.

The period 1958-1962 was the heyday of hit instrumentals, whether rock 'n' roll, pop, country, jazz, or easy listening. The variety of artists who charted with instrumentals during that period is pretty remarkable. Here are some with representative song titles:

The Champs "Tequila"
Ray Anthony "Peter Gunn"
Link Wray "Rumble"
Chet Atkins "Teensville"
Floyd Cramer "Last Date"
Lawrence Welk "Calcutta"
Ace Cannon "Tuff"
King Curtis "Soul Twist"
The Routers "Let's Go"
The Tornadoes "Telstar"
Bent Fabric "Alley Cat"
Thanks for reminding us of some great songs of the era, Rich! Was always a big fan of Sandy Nelson's "Let There Be Drums" among a bunch of others on your list.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long

The Champs "Tequila"
Ray Anthony "Peter Gunn"
Link Wray "Rumble"
Chet Atkins "Teensville"
Floyd Cramer "Last Date"
Lawrence Welk "Calcutta"
Ace Cannon "Tuff"
King Curtis "Soul Twist"
The Routers "Let's Go"
The Tornadoes "Telstar"
Bent Fabric "Alley Cat"
I could add to that list (love the old instrumentals) but instead I will throw out a useless tidbit. As a young teenager I lived around the block from Duane Eddy and I'm friends with one of the members of the Viscounts (Harlem Nocturne a song you missed)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therma123