What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (7 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Apologies to my fellow participants for my recent absenteeism in this thread. Many issues to jiggle at home for the moment--all annoying but necessary.
I might also add that I have a modicum less inspiration for doing Bourbon Street Beat commentaries than I do with my beloved 77SS. As a result, I believe my writing has suffered which leaves me disappointed with my efforts. Not to worry--I will collect myself and soldier onward. There are plenty of 77SS revisits on which I can focus.
I just thought you were PO'd because I argued with a post.:P
I know all about that annoying real world stuff. Great to have you back.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Apologies to my fellow participants for my recent absenteeism in this thread. Many issues to juggle at home for the moment--all annoying but necessary.
I might also add that I have a modicum less inspiration for doing Bourbon Street Beat commentaries than I do with my beloved 77SS. As a result, I believe my writing has suffered which leaves me disappointed with my efforts. Not to worry--I will collect myself and soldier onward. There are plenty of 77SS 'revisits' on which I can focus.
Hell I loved the BSB reviews.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Apologies to my fellow participants for my recent absenteeism in this thread. Many issues to juggle at home for the moment--all annoying but necessary.
I might also add that I have a modicum less inspiration for doing Bourbon Street Beat commentaries than I do with my beloved 77SS. As a result, I believe my writing has suffered which leaves me disappointed with my efforts. Not to worry--I will collect myself and soldier onward. There are plenty of 77SS 'revisits' on which I can focus.

Russ,

Like Bob, I have enjoyed reading your BSB reviews. And I certainly understand being occupied with other matters; I've been quite swamped myself.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Ain't it the truth!
And while we are surrounded by the problems of life my 22 year old daughter and her boyfriend landed last night in Honolulu. She is a huge fan of all the Warner's shows and the Eye is her favorite. She is staying at the Sheraton Waikiki and last night they went to the Royal Hawaiian bar and to quote her, "raised their cocktail glasses in honor of Robert Conrad."

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Bourbon Street Beat
"The Tiger Moth" (S1E6)

Based on fairly tepid demand, I'm taking another stab at this series. It's a gray rainy day here, so why not?

Cal (Andrew Duggan) invites his partner Rex (Richard Long) to dinner at the Absinthe House. Rex claims not to be hungry, but will settle for a "snack"--which ends up consisting of clams epicure, shrimp creole, a mushroom souffle and tops it off with grapefruit aspic. Interrupting Rex's small nosh is band drummer Harry Evans with a sob story and request for a $1,000 loan. As an old friend, Rex considers Harry's request but ultimately turns him down. Harry leaves in a huff with a floozy named 'Rose', wrapped in a feather boa and little else.

After dinner and several Tums, Rex changes his mind and visits Harry--only to find the man as dead as a fat guy's treadmill. It looks like a suicide, yet the apartment has a faint aroma of a woman's perfume. Cherchez la femme. Rex sends Kenny (Van Williams) to search every Guy Fieri dive in the area to find this elusive 'Rose'. Rex learns that Harry's suicide gun actually belongs to Michael Dumont (Wilton Graff)--the Dumont family being of Big Easy nobility from long ago. He first runs into Dumont daughter Evelyn (Roxane Berard), a somewhat scatterbrained girl that affects a Southern accent usually only found in high school acting classes. Patriarch Michael, when questioned about the gun and 'Rose', assumes an attitude as sour as Rex's grapefruit aspic. In addition, Michael collects rare moths--but there's no indication whether he keeps unwilling visitors in the basement or sews human skin dresses. However, there is some strange stuff going on with this family.

upload_2020-3-4_9-41-8.jpeg
upload_2020-3-4_9-42-7.jpeg
images
upload_2020-3-4_9-43-48.jpeg

Roxane Berard; Wilton Graff; Richard Long; Van Williams

Kenny, after visiting several dives with names like The Stuck Pig and Purple Grotto, learns that Rose's last name is Fleming. By coincidence, Rex runs into Rose at the Absinthe House, but both she and her exposed cleavage are unwilling to impart any information. For his efforts, Rex gets the snot beaten out of him by a boyfriend of Rose. Evelyn explains that Rose is actually her estranged sister who stole Daddy's gun, but just couldn't have committed Harry's death. Rex doesn't buy it and visits Rose's apartment only to find it stuffed with odd dolls. Happenstance has Michael Dumont there as well, still displaying a sour attitude and revealing his disgust of daughter Rose. It's apparent that Michael's mental pinballs never quite reach the flippers.

It turns out that Evelyn and Rose share a secret that causes Rex's jaw to drop. You might say that a Rose by any other name is still an Evelyn. Once again, we learn that people who collect moths are just creepy.

Notes:
In an obvious nod to the popularity of Duke Ellington, Eddie Cole plays the "Baron" in the Old Absinthe House band. Eddie was actually a respected jazz musician and a member of brother Nat King Cole's Rogues of Rhythm.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Episode Commentary
Bourbon Street Beat
"The Tiger Moth" (S1E6)

Based on fairly tepid demand, I'm taking another stab at this series. It's a gray rainy day here, so why not?

Cal (Andrew Duggan) invites his partner Rex (Richard Long) to dinner at the Absinthe House. Rex claims not to be hungry, but will settle for a "snack"--which ends up consisting of clams epicure, shrimp creole, a mushroom souffle and tops it off with grapefruit aspic. Interrupting Rex's small nosh is band drummer Harry Evans with a sob story and request for a $1,000 loan. As an old friend, Rex considers Harry's request but ultimately turns him down. Harry leaves in a huff with a floozy named 'Rose', wrapped in a feather boa and little else.

After dinner and several Tums, Rex changes his mind and visits Harry--only to find the man as dead as a fat guy's treadmill. It looks like a suicide, yet the apartment has a faint aroma of a woman's perfume. Cherchez la femme. Rex sends Kenny (Van Williams) to search every Guy Fieri dive in the area to find this elusive 'Rose'. Rex learns that Harry's suicide gun actually belongs to Michael Dumont (Wilton Graff)--the Dumont family being of Big Easy nobility from long ago. He first runs into Dumont daughter Evelyn (Roxane Berard), a somewhat scatterbrained girl that affects a Southern accent usually only found in high school acting classes. Patriarch Michael, when questioned about the gun and 'Rose', assumes an attitude as sour as Rex's grapefruit aspic. In addition, Michael collects rare moths--but there's no indication whether he keeps unwilling visitors in the basement or sews human skin dresses. However, there is some strange stuff going on with this family.

View attachment 69296 View attachment 69297
images
View attachment 69298
Roxane Berard; Wilton Graff; Richard Long; Van Williams

Kenny, after visiting several dives with names like The Stuck Pig and Purple Grotto, learns that Rose's last name is Fleming. By coincidence, Rex runs into Rose at the Absinthe House, but both she and her exposed cleavage are unwilling to impart any information. For his efforts, Rex gets the snot beaten out of him by a boyfriend of Rose. Evelyn explains that Rose is actually her estranged sister who stole Daddy's gun, but just couldn't have committed Harry's death. Rex doesn't buy it and visits Rose's apartment only to find it stuffed with odd dolls. Happenstance has Michael Dumont there as well, still displaying a sour attitude and revealing his disgust of daughter Rose. It's apparent that Michael's mental pinballs never quite reach the flippers.

It turns out that Evelyn and Rose share a secret that causes Rex's jaw to drop. You might say that a Rose by any other name is still an Evelyn. Once again, we learn that people who collect moths are just creepy.

Notes:
In an obvious nod to the popularity of Duke Ellington, Eddie Cole plays the "Baron" in the Old Absinthe House band. Eddie was actually a respected jazz musician and a member of brother Nat King Cole's Rogues of Rhythm.
Mine was just a mercy "like" Russ:rolling-smiley:

Actually I enjoyed it. Like the tidbit at the end as well.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Revisit
77 Sunset Strip
"Only Zeroes Count" (S2E1)

Opening Scene--Stu Bailey is walking along a Hawaiian beach in his typical beach attire: Oxford shirt, pressed slacks and dress loafers. He suddenly spots a comely female being attacked by a local native, and quickly dispatches the fellow with a karate chop or two. Incredibly, a police lieutenant seems to be just steps away and arrests the guy. Pretty much everyone is in the right place at the right time. Stu, with barely a wrinkle in his shirt, is relieved of all responsibility and prepares to return to LA the next day.

But no--Tom Lopaka (Robert Conrad) of Hawaiian Eye shows up to whisk Stu into a mysterious meeting with the police lieutenant, who turns out to be a muckety-muck government official. Even the attacker is a G-man. Apparently Stu's stroll on the beach completely messed up a sting operation on a counterfeit ring. As punishment, he's conscripted into the task force--mainly for his stellar reputation and spotless clothing. Suspects include a nightclub singer Fay North (Dolores Donlon) and Martha Swain (Adele Mara), the girl who was assaulted on the beach.

This leaves the day-to-day operation operation of Bailey and Spence in the dubious hands of Kookie, as Jeff Spencer is busy on another case. It's an opportunity for Kookie and Suzanne to utilize the office for an activity not remotely related to work--if they so desire.*

upload_2020-3-5_10-44-21.jpeg
upload_2020-3-5_10-45-27.jpeg
upload_2020-3-5_10-47-19.jpeg

There's good reason to nibble on both Dolores Donlon and Adele Mara; "Oh, Stu...your shirt is so well pressed..."

To start his investigation, Stu hits on Martha to ask her out to dinner--perhaps a nice repast of pig's feet and pineapple--at the Pogo Club, featuring singer Fay North. Stu proves he's adept at multi-tasking, including downing several martinis as Fay lip syncs a fine version of "I've Got a Crush On You". Afterwards, she joins Martha and Stu in a tall glass of gin. This leads to Fay and Stu eagerly bumping their groins together on the dance floor while orchestra leader Buddy Cole (a WB recording artist) tickles the ivories. Stu continues to meet up with Fay for brunches and dinners in hopes of gaining some info on the counterfeit racket. But all he gains is a need to let out his trousers a couple of inches from an overabundance of poi and coconut butter.

Meanwhile, Martha, a DMV employee, is busy collecting and distributing bogus bills that regularly arrive in packaged license plates from the local prison. She's not just a pretty face, folks. Stu, for once on his own, has breakfast--tomato juice, eggs over easy, toast, oatmeal and a quick enema in the restroom. Then a joyful taxi ride with Poncie Ponce to further the Hawaiian Eye crossover promo. Later, Stu has dinner at Fay's place, where the dish consists mainly of Stu nibbling on various outcroppings of her body. Let's face it, Stu's having a good week in that he has two cuties putting the moves on him.

Well shucks, it doesn't take a Columbo to figure who's involved with what. Stu fulfills his government obligation with little more effort than having numerous meals with attractive women. This is a good representative episode of Season 2, with a good cast and writing--and the studio doing a decent job of faking Hawaiian locations with a plethora of well-placed tropical plants in every corner of the WB set.

Notes:
Adele Mara was married to 77SS creator, Roy Huggins, for 50 years. Based on her pics, Roy must've been a very happy man.

*Unfortunately, no evidence exists that Kookie and Suzanne ever played spin the bottle with one another. She seemed more interested in reserving her assets for Jeff Spencer. After all, he played the guitar.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Episode Revisit
77 Sunset Strip

Opening Scene--Stu Bailey is walking along a Hawaiian beach in his typical beach attire: Oxford shirt, pressed slacks and dress loafers. He suddenly spots a comely female being attacked by a local native, and quickly dispatches the fellow with a karate chop or two. Incredibly, a police lieutenant seems to be just steps away and arrests the guy. Pretty much everyone is in the right place at the right time. Stu, with barely a wrinkle in his shirt, is relieved of all responsibility and prepares to return to LA the next day.

But no--Tom Lopaka (Robert Conrad) of Hawaiian Eye shows up to whisk Stu into a mysterious meeting with the police lieutenant, who turns out to be a muckety-muck government official. Even the attacker is a G-man. Apparently Stu's stroll on the beach completely messed up a sting operation on a counterfeit ring. As punishment, he's conscripted into the task force--mainly for his stellar reputation and spotless clothing. Suspects include a nightclub singer Fay North (Dolores Donlon) and Martha Swain (Adele Mara), the girl who was assaulted on the beach.

This leaves the day-to-day operation operation of Bailey and Spence in the dubious hands of Kookie, as Jeff Spencer is busy on another case. It's an opportunity for Kookie and Suzanne to utilize the office for an activity not remotely related to work--if they so desire.*

View attachment 69329 View attachment 69330 View attachment 69331
There's good reason to nibble on both Dolores Donlon and Adele Mara; "Oh, Stu...your shirt is so well pressed..."

To start his investigation, Stu hits on Martha to ask her out to dinner--perhaps a nice repast of pig's feet and pineapple--at the Pogo Club, featuring singer Fay North. Stu proves he's adept at multi-tasking, including downing several martinis as Fay lip syncs a fine version of "I've Got a Crush On You". Afterwards, she joins Martha and Stu in a tall glass of gin. This leads to Fay and Stu eagerly bumping their groins together on the dance floor while orchestra leader Buddy Cole (a WB recording artist) tickles the ivories. Stu continues to meet up with Fay for brunches and dinners in hopes of gaining some info on the counterfeit racket. But all he gains is a need to let out his trousers a couple of inches from an overabundance of poi and coconut butter.

Meanwhile, Martha, a DMV employee, is busy collecting and distributing bogus bills that regularly arrive in packaged license plates from the local prison. She's not just a pretty face, folks. Stu, for once on his own, has breakfast--tomato juice, eggs over easy, toast, oatmeal and a quick enema in the restroom. Then a joyful taxi ride with Poncie Ponce to further the Hawaiian Eye crossover promo. Later, Stu has dinner at Fay's place, where the dish consists mainly of Stu nibbling on various outcroppings of her body. Let's face it, Stu's having a good week in that he has two cuties putting the moves on him.

Well shucks, it doesn't take a Columbo to figure who's involved with what. Stu fulfills his government obligation with little more effort than having numerous meals with attractive women. This is a good representative episode of Season 2, with a good cast and writing--and the studio doing a decent job of faking Hawaiian locations with a plethora of well-placed tropical plants in every corner of the WB set.

Notes:
Adele Mara was married to 77SS creator, Roy Huggins, for 50 years. Based on her pics, Roy must've been a very happy man.

*Unfortunately, no evidence exists that Kookie and Suzanne ever played spin the bottle with one another. She seemed more interested in reserving her assets for Jeff Spencer. After all, he played the guitar.
Great review. Couple of notes:
— That’s Dolores Donlon doing her own singing (albeit lip synched)
— You may notice that the plural of Zero is spelled one way in the opening credits and a different way in the closing credits

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
TIDBIT

Dolores Donlon
, due to a very nice 36-23-33 frame, found herself as a well-sought model in the mid to late 1940's. During her career, she married / separated / divorced too numerous times to count. Guys were more than willing to give her a spin. Some marriages lasted all of a week. In 1957, she was Playboy's Playmate of the Month, which surely didn't decrease the number of suitors knocking at her door.
I guess the most interesting little fact to me was that she and friend Ruta Lee promoted the world’s largest and most expensive martini, made of 120 quarts of gin and 60 bottles of dry Vermouth. The martini party was thrown by the Italian firm that processed the vermouth.

Now that's a party worth attending.

upload_2020-3-5_18-34-15.jpeg
upload_2020-3-5_18-34-40.jpeg
images
images

Yeah, lotsa good reasons for the wolves to whistle. Although ridden like a Toro lawn tractor most of her career, the good lady made it all the way to age 92.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Episode Revisit
77 Sunset Strip

Excellent review of a very good episode. Interestingly, this wasn't just a cross-promotion of Hawaiian Eye—it was also a teaser preview. This episode premiered October 2, 1959, and Hawaiian Eye didn't debut until five days later.

I also like how Mara and Donlon were both cast against type here. They are both very good in this episode.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Excellent review of a very good episode. Interestingly, this wasn't just a cross-promotion of Hawaiian Eye—it was also a teaser preview. This episode premiered October 2, 1959, and Hawaiian Eye didn't debut until five days later.

I also like how Mara and Donlon were both cast against type here. They are both very good in this episode.
Yes, there was a special preview of Hawaiian Eye at the end of the episode with Efrem Zimbalist Jr and Robert Conrad.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Oh, MAN, Gary, this is GREAT! Given the length of this, I assume the episode must have been several minutes shorter than usual.

I really love to see this kind of interstitial stuff that was shed in syndication. It's worth its weight in gold! Thanks for posting it!
There were actually quite a few episodes that had previews of next week's episode at the end. In this case I’m assuming a preview of “The Kookie Caper” ran after the initial airing of Zeroes/Zeros so it was replaced with the Eye preview.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks