1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Thanks, Randall. And great pics as always!

2. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Porting these over from the previous page so fans don't miss seeing them...

Edd Byrnes and singer Connie Francis at Dino's, 1960...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next one shouldn't be interpreted as a political post, ha, ha...

Our hero, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., with three unidentified companions (ha, ha), Houston Texas 1976...an election year if you remember...
    [​IMG]

Our hero at the Hollywood History Museum, upon the publication of his wonderful autobiography, 2003...
    [​IMG]

3. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Can you imagine how bonkers it would have been to be driving down Sunset and spot this photo being taken? I would have pulled over and probably pestered these two until forcibly told to leave...

4. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    And good 'ol Lt. Gilmore and Dan Mathews of Highway Patrol might be among the cops rounding you up, ha, ha...so true, Russ...the sweet fantasy of time travel (there and back, cause I've earned my pension),...of actually seeing the Strip and going to the shows of that era! I'm repelled, appalled and disgusted by most of what passes as pop culture today...

5. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    True dat, Randy.

6. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, speaking as a more-or-less native Angeleno, you actually do get used to this sort of thing. I have personally seen famous personages many, many times in the wild. I think any Angeleno would tell you that.

My first sighting was a big one: Bob Hope. I've already told you all about that one. As a member of the Vikings, Dad knew a lot of celebrities personally, and he taught me to think of them as just plain folks. That was easier said than done, of course, but over time I learned to adopt this attitude, and I have found that, as always, my Dad was right. I've had a number of pleasant conversations with folks whose work I admire, in film, television and music. It's one of the perks of living here.

By the way, our kitten Stu is finally out in the general population, so in the coming weeks I hope to be more attentive to the thread. We're all watching "The Bouncing Chip" as I write.

7. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I do envy you Angelenos of those opportunities. I've caught sight of celebrities myself, but mostly during my times in SoCal.

Here in Carmel, Indiana, I consider it a fairly big deal if I spot the Mayor or Fire Chief.

8. Message #3028 of 3136 Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Revisit
    "Publicity Brat" (S2E26)

As in my last Commentary, "Who Killed Cock Robin?", this episode also crosses the investigation path with the Hollywood set. In this case, child actress Evelyn Rudie (playing child actress Angel Conway) chews through the script more completely than a Canon paper shredder. You will most definitely be wishing for the most corporal of punishment for this acerbic bratty kid by mid-story.

Stu and Roscoe are vacationing at the posh Racquet Club in Palm Springs. Both listen in amusement as Angel loudly pretends to be speaking to Louella Parsons on the poolside phone. Angel is a publicity bulldozer and determined to plow through every gimmick in the book to promote her nine-year old's ego. Her annoyance factor far surpasses that of fingernails on a chalkboard. But what's really amusing is that Stu and Roscoe are vacationing together. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.

As long as Stu is in the neighborhood, Angel's mom Paula (Pamela Britton) beseeches him to look into the theft of her diamond necklace that's suddenly gone missing. Stu naturally believes this to be another stunt by Angel to gain some inches in the celebrity columns.
    "Listen, Bailey--you can be replaced", sneers Angel in her best imitated adult voice. Stu admirably refrains from giving her a Gibbs' slap in the back of the head. Angel comes from a long line of annoying performers--it's in her blood as much as bourbon is in her grandmother, "Peaches and Cream" Mavis Mathews (Billy Burke). Stu takes the case anyway due mainly to his hots for Angel's mom Paula.

[​IMG] [​IMG] upload_2019-9-16_10-23-4.
    Pamela Britton; Evelyn Rudie; Della Sharman

Angel confesses to concocting the necklace plot with journeyman actor Nick Devlin (Beau Gentry)--who stole the necklace for real, not for Angel's dumb publicity stunt.
    Problem #1: Nick has been stabbed to death in a cheap motel.
    Problem #2: Nick's landlords are a suspicious, belligerent couple. Perfect suspects.
    Problem #3: There's a Jezebel named Barbara (Della Sharman) who's reputed to be Nick's girl. Also a suspect.
    To investigate these problems thoroughly, Stu finds in necessary to hang with Paula poolside eating steak sandwiches. Meanwhile, Angel gets even more bratty and the suspects get more suspicious.

It all culminates in a Poirot-like gathering at the playhouse where the killer is revealed. But most satisfying is that Angel finally gets spanked in the end. Literally.

Notes:
    Nick Devlin is staying at Thorn's Jacaranda Motel--$7.50 with kichenette!

There's a brief appearance of Paul Garner who played Mousie in several Surfside 6 episodes

Billy Burke is probably best remembered as the Good Witch in 1939's Wizard of Oz

9. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Excellent—and of course you meant Billie Burke.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I was looking through my files just now and found a detailed alternate-universe scenario for full sixth and seventh seasons of 77 Sunset Strip, including the cars each character drives. Does anyone remember whether I ever posted it here? I thought I had done so, but I can't find it in a search.

I did post a shorter article wherein I laid out the basic skeleton of my scenario without the cars, but if I haven't posted the longer, detailed article, I'd like to post it now.

Jeff Flugel, Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  11. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Rob-- go ahead and post it. Even if you had earlier, I'm quite sure it's worth repeating.

12. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Kinda off topic,but there is a wonderful documentary called Echo in the Canyon about the early 60's "California" sound. At the beginning of the movie, you see a car driving down Sunset and you can catch a quick glimpse of Dino's Lodge, which I thought was very cool AND looking VERY closely you can also see the 77 striped awning as well.

13. Message #3033 of 3136 Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Revisit
    "Condor's Lair" (S2E20)

Nothing screams 1960's more than a pairing of Tuesday Weld and Troy Donahue in an episode. I can almost feel my hula hoop and penny loafers tingling in nostalgic anticipation. Rounding out the tang in my martini is Ms. Weld playing a teenage novelist and Troy as an aspiring actor with the impossible name of Star Bright.

Hey look! It's Troy Donahue (Star Bright) manning Dino's parking lot, filling in for vacationing Kookie. It just goes to show you can shuffle teen idols like cards in a deck. It's 10:00 in the morning and time for Stu and Jeff to trot over to Dino's to begin drinking their lunch. First, they must listen to how Star Bright acquired his name--which is about as interesting as a discarded gum wrapper. Enter Kitten Lang (Weld), who meets the boys at the bar and attempts to join in on early cocktails. Stu dismisses her attempt in a fatherly manner and orders a glass of milk for her. Kitten displays a snobbish, artistic aloofness that rings hollow coming from a teenager. But she's written two best sellers, one of which is being cast into a movie. She's famous, which affords her the opportunity to bloviate boringly about drivel like Transcendentalism before finally revealing she's being blackmailed.

Kitten is staying with her Aunt Maggie (Andrea King) at an old mansion--Condor's Lair--that's reputed to be haunted. Stu reluctantly takes her case along with the dubious help of Star who seems to know way too much of her history. He's totally smitten. So is Kitten's belligerent chauffeur, who claims to be protecting her. Add to this mix another admirer, over-the-hill crooner Stacy Noble (Robert Lowery). There seems to be a whole passel of gentlemen with less than paternal feelings towards this girl who's not yet 18 years old. Can they spell S-T-A-T-U-A-T-O-R-Y?

upload_2019-9-18_10-13-48. upload_2019-9-18_10-14-9. upload_2019-9-18_10-14-32.
    Tuesday and Troy pose; Stu drinks lunch; Suzanne tries hard not to stare at Stu's butt

Stu gets a frantic call from Aunt Maggie, who reports an attempted murder against Kitten. Stu rushes to the mansion to investigate, only to hear more bloviation from her about unicorns and poppycocks. At this point, there's been so many extraneous characters introduced into the story that I'm a bit bored at trying to keep up. So let's skip to the end. Stacy's estranged wife is found shot dead in his motel room. Stu immediately sends Star to guard Kitten. He fairly sweats lust over her and some kissy-face ensues. "How strange to find you in this Hollywood jungle", she purrs. Jeez-o-man. Meantime, there's some sort of specter flitting around the estate grounds at night. Could this be the blackmailer / murderer? Do we care at this point?

This could have been a good script if it hadn't exhausted itself early on with too many backstories and characters. The muddle factor hit an apex over Kitten's lost love of a race car driver killed in an accident. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Notes:
    Stacy Noble is staying in a hotel room that's conveniently equipped with a piano and pictures of him on the wall. I've stayed in many motel rooms, none of which have ever been customized for me.

Troy Donahue's robotic, monotonal form of acting always made me wonder how he became a star. Good hair, I guess.

14. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    One of episodes filmed when Edd Byrnes was on strike (or as they called it “vacation”).

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  15. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Blonde, beach bum, boy next door good looks with the aforementioned cool hair. Even many years later when he surprisingly popped up The Godfather Part 2, his acting method was the same. Flat, boring, melt into the background.

16. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan Stunt Coordinator

Bob Goughan
    The chicks dug him.

criblecoblis likes this.
  17. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Just reminder, tomorrow is National Punctuation Day.

Make sure all your posts are fu*#[email protected]!ng properly festooned.

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  18. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    3682E3D5-920C-458E-AC84-7934CE7D4B6F.

ponset, cadavra, Lutz Koch and 6 others like this.
  19. Message #3039 of 3136 Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    We've lost so very much here in the City of Angels in the idiotic drive to Manhattanize this city. I am not so very old, but I have seen us lose almost all of what once made this city unique among the great cities of the world. <sadface>

And that's a big reason why I love 77 Sunset Strip. It's an indelible reminder of the unique greatness this city once had before the sheep gained the upper hand.

20. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    9AB376D1-FE12-4B9D-B500-255020EF96BE.

ponset, Lutz Koch, Richard V and 2 others like this.