What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (3 Viewers)

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
And it is a show that Me-TV could broadcast, since they have access to the Fox library. But since they'd apparently have to do new transfers, it's unlikely we'll ever see it there.

There is an 8 1/2 minute clip of the show on YouTube, including the title credits, and it is indeed a lovely theme. The show looks to me as if it had a big budget; the main title alone looks as if it cost the entire budget of a 77SS episode.

I can hardly wait to see some full episodes.
I hope you will really enjoy them. Interested to see what you think.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Episode Revisited
"Ten Cents a Death" (S2E18)

Roscoe has a date, and she wants to dance. Roscoe, being the innocent sort he is, thinks dance actually means dancing. Well, it probably does in this case, as Mary (Bea Benaderet) is the hostess of a dance hall. Did those places still exist post 1935--I mean, in 1961 we're just a few years short of the Beatles showing up, for cri-yi-yi.
Anyway, it seems as some of the dance hall girls are disappearing and being given permanent dirt naps. It's up to Stu Bailey and Jeff Spencer to check it out. Give these boys free reign among a bevy of loose women and visions of sweaty monkey sex dance in their heads.

The girls line up like cantaloupes in a grocery store as the eager men walk past, clutching their dance tickets in their chubby little fingers. Among them is Ernie (Robert Colbert), a sailor of less than pristine reputation. Running the club is Nick Hercules (Anthony George), a con man from way back. The dance hall is as cheesy as the patrons and owner. A Kardashian wouldn't be found dead in the place.

View attachment 61446 View attachment 61447 View attachment 61448 View attachment 61449
Bea Benaderet, Roscoe knows how to dress to impress, dance hall girl Linda Lawson; Anthony George

Anthony George appeared as one of the detectives in Checkmate, the go-to show for those of us mourning the end of the 77 SS series. It was a poor substitute.

Apologies in advance, but this photo of George makes him look like Sam, the bald eagle from The Muppets.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I also watched ROARING and ALASKANS as a kid and remember them fondly, and can still hum the theme songs. They might be on YT as well.

Mike,

I can't find any episodes of The Alaskans on YouTube, but I did find one episode of The Roaring '20s. Here it is.

It is S1E17 "Lucky Charm," with guest stars Cesare Danova and Arch Johnson. Dorothy Provine sings "Don't Bring Lulu" and "Someone to Watch Over Me." While the print is not in great condition, it is complete with everything but local commercials.

Of special note is a very funny commercial for Dial Soap at the end featuring Lennie Bremen, who played Pete in S3E22 "Once Upon A Caper." Actually, everyone in the ad is a familiar character actor, but he's the only one I can identify offhand.

At the end is a long preview of next week's episode, "The Vamp," which IMDb lists as S1E19, which indicates that they have the episode order listed incorrrectly.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Mike,

I can't find any episodes of The Alaskans on YouTube, but I did find one episode of The Roaring '20s. Here it is.

It is S1E17 "Lucky Charm," with guest stars Cesare Danova and Arch Johnson. Dorothy Provine sings "Don't Bring Lulu" and "Someone to Watch Over Me." While the print is not in great condition, it is complete with everything but local commercials.

Of special note is a very funny commercial for Dial Soap at the end featuring Lennie Bremen, who played Pete in S3E22 "Once Upon A Caper." Actually, everyone in the ad is a familiar character actor, but he's the only one I can identify offhand.

At the end is a long preview of next week's episode, "The Vamp," which IMDb lists as S1E19, which indicates that they have the episode order listed incorrrectly.
There used to be 2/3 Alaskans on YT. Have been down a long time.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
There used to be 2/3 Alaskans on YT. Have been down a long time.

I have a great respect for intellectual rights, but when they are not positively exercised, all bets are off. It's probably not cool to discuss such matters in this thread, but I'd really, REALLY like to get copies of all the WB detective/mystery series that are not available via traditional means. I don't want them to slip down the memory hole.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
I have a great respect for intellectual rights, but when they are not positively exercised, all bets are off. It's probably not cool to discuss such matters in this thread, but I'd really, REALLY like to get copies of all the WB detective/mystery series that are not available via traditional means. I don't want them to slip down the memory hole.
When I first got the episodes I have, I was just recording them locally on VHS. I found other like minded folks thru a dead publication called "The Big Reel". We traded episodes for episodes, no money was ever exchanged. We all just wanted to see the shows again.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
"Spark of Freedom" (S2E32)

Another faux 'International' caper which was constructed during the writers' strike and is essentially a bare bones reworking of "The Iron Curtain Caper" from Season 1. Nonetheless, I'm always seeking episodes that I've avoided in the past due to my ennui towards them--just so I have something 'new' on which to write now.

I'm not going to do my usual synopsis, rather just some observations:

Stu Bailey, traveling by train to the Eastern Bloc under the guise of a physician attending a medical convention, is asked if he would enjoy some Lady Fingers (babapiskóta in Hungarian) by his berth companion. When the companion opens the box, he eats a few but never actually offers Stu one.

There's lots of gruff "Your papers, pleeeze...!" Just once I'd like to see somebody hand over a copies of the Washington Post and NY Times, declaring "These are my papers." Too Mel Brooks?

The convention hotel reminds me of my grandmother's bungalow in Jefferson Park, Chicago: Thick musty drapes, patterned wallpaper and dark wood paneling. Sunlight could never quite find a purchase in the place.

Anna-Lisa tries hard to be Ingrid Bergman, but succeeds only in looking kinda like her:

upload_2019-8-26_9-54-29.jpeg

The Hungarian cafe/bar that Stu visits looks about as authentic as an Applebee's. Tuesday Special: Chicken Feet Paprikash.

Much of the exteriors are provided by vintage travel footage. I remember watching travelogue films in school via a clacking Bell & Howell projector and a vinyl pull-down screen. It sure beat homework.

A shootout in the streets with high-powered arms leaves bodies but no blood. Hungarian death was cleaner than most, I guess.

Inexplicably, there's a magazine stand right outside the prison. A taco wagon would have been more cool.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Episode Commentary
"Spark of Freedom" (S2E32)

I actually like both this episode and the one this is taken from. But that's just me.

There's lots of gruff "Your papers, pleeeze...!" Just once I'd like to see somebody hand over a copies of the Washington Post and NY Times, declaring "These are my papers." Too Mel Brooks?

More like Zucker-Abrams-Zucker, I think, and I love it!. But what I would do is have somebody hand over a packet of Zig-Zags.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A very nice picture of Efrem Zimbalist Jr. with his then teenage daughter Stephanie (15 at the time), along with producer Quinn Martin, April 11, 1972...I posted this in the QM Productions thread, but thought you guys would like it, as there has been discussion in this thread of Efrem's post 77 TV afterlife and Stephanie's own Remington Steele...FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover would be dead within a month of this photo being taken, having been on the job since 1924! Details below in quote...
69274261_2841286139232175_5539021783220355072_n.jpg

I just found this wonderful photo of Efrem Zimbalist Jr. with his teenage daughter Stephanie Zimbalist and producer Quinn Martin in the offices of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on April 11, 1972. Hoover, who had been the original and only director of the FBI since 1924, would be dead in less than a month on May 2, 1972 aged 77. It has been claimed that Hoover and his deputy Clyde Tolson personally reviewed every script produced for the TV series.
69274261_2841286139232175_5539021783220355072_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Sorry I've been quiet the past few days. We just adopted a kitten this past weekend, and with all the pets we already have, this is a huge undertaking. Lots of politics involved.
We've been a rescue home for many dogs and cats for years. I understand your time involvement completely!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Back in Post #2276 I posted a bunch of photos of Efrem Z hosting the HOLLYWOOD PALACE. That episode was S1E9 and broadcast on Feb. 29, 1964, about three weeks after the last new episode of 77 SUNSET STRIP was shown. Since clapper/slates dates show on some of the YouTube uploads, we know HOLLYWOOD PALACE episodes were put together months ahead of air date. We speculated that since Louis 'Roscoe' Quinn was a guest on Efrem's HOLLYWOOD PALACE show there might have been a mention of 'Roscoe' returning to 77SS, since at the time of filming/taping they did not know 77SS was not going tp be picked up for the remainder of the season.
gettyimages-463812982-1024x1024.jpg

gettyimages-463717608-1024x1024.jpg

So, still no sign of Efrem's HOLLYWOOD PALACE on YouTube, but here is a clip of Gene Kelly, who hosted HP S1E8, aired Feb.22,1964, introducing Efrem as the host of the next show. Efrem appears after the musical number at 4:45 min., along with Raquel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks