What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (2 Viewers)

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
You guys have had a very good run. The amount of info on 77SS here is amazing. You have also created friendships in this forum and you need to find a way to keep something going.

Marv,

I like your ideas! I've been thinking along the same lines.

1. Revisit at the beginning - doing in depth studies of each episode. Not so much the story but other items - Director - Writer - Locations - etc.

I was thinking of that too. That's what I started to do with my "viewer's guides." I plan to do more of those, but they are time-consuming.

2. Discuss more of the other WB mysteries. I know not everyone has copies but...

Yes! I have the full run of Bourbon Street Beat, so I can do those, but I don't have any episodes of Hawaiian Eye or Surfside 6. Are there any other WB detective/mystery series?

3. Open the floor for suggestions. What would others like in this space?

We can discuss similar shows from the same time frame produced by other studios. One such show that comes immediately to mind is Follow The Sun, which Bob refers to above in his postings regarding TV-themed comic books.

Follow The Sun is a show I've been interested in for some time, and I just yesterday ordered a set of about half the episodes. From what I've read, it features elements found in Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6. It starred Brett Halsey and Barry Coe as free-lance magazine writers who live in a houseboat in Honolulu. Gary Lockwood plays their researcher, Gigi Perreau a secretary (I don't know whose at this point), and Jay Lanin is a police lieutenant friendly with the writers. It ran for 30 episodes in the 1961–62 season.

An added aspect of interest to us here is that the show was created by Roy Huggins, which I think ties it in with our general area of interest here.

Like Russ, this thread is one of my daily destinations, and I plan to stick around.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Marv,

I was thinking of that too. That's what I started to do with my "viewer's guides." I plan to do more of those, but they are time-consuming.

Yes! I have the full run of Bourbon Street Beat, so I can do those, but I don't have any episodes of Hawaiian Eye or Surfside 6. Are there any other WB detective/mystery series?

We can discuss similar shows from the same time frame produced by other studios. One such show that comes immediately to mind is Follow The Sun, which Bob refers to above in his postings regarding TV-themed comic books.

Follow The Sun is a show I've been interested in for some time, and I just yesterday ordered a set of about half the episodes. From what I've read, it features elements found in Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6. It starred Brett Halsey and Barry Coe as free-lance magazine writers who live in a houseboat in Honolulu. Gary Lockwood plays their researcher, Gigi Perreau a secretary (I don't know whose at this point), and Jay Lanin is a police lieutenant friendly with the writers. It ran for 30 episodes in the 1961–62 season.

An added aspect of interest to us here is that the show was created by Roy Huggins, which I think ties it in with our general area of interest here.

Like Russ, this thread is one of my daily destinations, and I plan to stick around.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Marv,

Don’t forget “The Roaring 20s”. Newspaper reporters but always involved with similar plots like the other WB shows.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Follow the Sun was a really good show. I have all but 6 episodes and those 6 cannot be found. As far as the 4 Warner's shows, I am missing only, "The Lady Has the Answers" , period. I am sure most of you have most if not all the episodes as well. Plenty to uncover and talk about. I'm staying.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Follow the Sun was a really good show. I have all but 6 episodes and those 6 cannot be found. As far as the 4 Warner's shows, I am missing only, "The Lady Has the Answers" , period. I am sure most of you have most if not all the episodes as well. Plenty to uncover and talk about. I'm staying.
What are the 6 episodes that are missing?

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
What are the 6 episodes that are missing?
Gary,

The following episodes of Follow the Sun have never turned up despite my constant search. I am forced to believe that they are "lost". They are: A Choice of Weapons, The Woman Who Never Was, Not Aunt Charlotte, Annie Beeler's Place, Marine of the Month and The Irresistible Miss Bullfinch. I would love to get them if I could find them.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I am not now or have ever been a stunt coordinator. I have no idea how that esteemed title got under my name. The previous one of agent I never listed for myself either. Curious.

Bob,

The titles we all have under our names are assigned by the HTF according to the number of messages each has posted. When you hit 100, I believe, you will be "promoted" to a new title.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I doubt "Follow the Sun" is lost lost. The elements are surely still in Fox's vaults. Of course, now that Disney owns the show, the chances of it resurfacing have grown a lot dimmer. I recall the show from my yoot, and still think it has the loveliest main title of all time. (Incidentally, Gigi Perreau will be a guest at Cinecon in Hollywood next week.) I believe there might be an episode or two on YouTube. I also watched ROARING and ALASKANS as a kid and remember them fondly, and can still hum the theme songs. They might be on YT as well.

Mike S.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I doubt "Follow the Sun" is lost lost. The elements are surely still in Fox's vaults. Of course, now that Disney owns the show, the chances of it resurfacing have grown a lot dimmer.

And it is a show that Me-TV could broadcast, since they have access to the Fox library. But since they'd apparently have to do new transfers, it's unlikely we'll ever see it there.

I recall the show from my yoot, and still think it has the loveliest main title of all time.

There is an 8 1/2 minute clip of the show on YouTube, including the title credits, and it is indeed a lovely theme. The show looks to me as if it had a big budget; the main title alone looks as if it cost the entire budget of a 77SS episode.

I can hardly wait to see some full episodes.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
There is an 8 1/2 minute clip of the show on YouTube, including the title credits, and it is indeed a lovely theme. The show looks to me as if it had a big budget; the main title alone looks as if it cost the entire budget of a 77SS episode.
Rob--thanks much for the tidbit about the YouTube clip of this show. I had never heard of it before this--which is unbelievable as it looks exactly like the kind of series that would have attracted me as a kid and now as an adult.
Too bad it survived only 30 episodes--it was in a very tough competitive time slot on Sunday evenings.

As an aside, I have 5 or 10 episodes each of Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6 on VHS tapes that I bought many years ago. Also a smattering of Route 66 episodes. I would have been ecstatic if any of these show were to show up on MeTV so I could continue my tireless trek of snarky commentary on these lovely series.

I'll continue my 'revisit' commentaries on 77 SS until it finally fizzles.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Rob--thanks much for the tidbit about the YouTube clip of this show. I had never heard of it before this--which is unbelievable as it looks exactly like the kind of series that would have attracted me as a kid and now as an adult.
Too bad it survived only 30 episodes--it was in a very tough competitive time slot on Sunday evenings.

As an aside, I have 5 or 10 episodes each of Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6 on VHS tapes that I bought many years ago. Also a smattering of Route 66 episodes. I would have been ecstatic if any of these show were to show up on MeTV so I could continue my tireless trek of snarky commentary on these lovely series.

I'll continue my 'revisit' commentaries on 77 SS until it finally fizzles.
“Route 66” is currently airing weekends on fetv which is a cable/satellite channel (not broadcast like MeTV) if you have access to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks