1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, "Fraternity of Fear" basically is "Conspiracy of Silence." It's the first of the four "W. Hermanos" episodes produced during the writer's strike, wherein they took an old script and re-worked it a bit, using a retired writer who wouldn't be affected by union sanctions.

It's a lot more fun reading your take on the episode than it is to watch the episode itself, although with its good cast it is an improvement on the original.

2. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    I haven't seen the San Dede episodes in about 2-3 years.
    Wasn't Stu or another passenger reading a BUGS BUNNY comic book on the train?

BugsBunny.

Flashgear and criblecoblis like this.
  3. Message #2943 of 3146 Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Scott,

I don't remember that offhand, but I can tell you that Paul Winchell's character is shown reading one in "Falling Stars."

The Dell/Gold Key series that I really liked as a kid was Donald Duck. There was a whole alternate universe for Donald constructed there, with the city of Duckburg, Huey, Dewey and Louie, the Beagle Boys, Gyro Gearloose, and of course Scrooge McDuck. Man, I loved those!

ponset, Flashgear and Lutz Koch like this.
  4. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    Rob, all of the characters you mentioned (except Donald Duck and Huey, Dewey and Louie) were created by the great Carl Barks (but I guess you know that) and I have been a lifelong fan and collector of his work. In fact, I own four complete editions of his stories; two hardcover editions in English and German, and two softcover album editions, also in both languages. And they keep on reprinting his works over and over again! No wonder, because these are classics. Glad to hear you‘re a fellow fan!

5. Message #2945 of 3146 Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    You are correct, Scott. Stu was reading a comic book on the train. I think the writers were trying to convey that the San Dede train was such a dismal conveyance that the only reading materials available were comic books. I kick myself for not noticing what comic book Stu was reading--it's one of those little details I usually try to pick up.

Oh yes indeed, Rob! My favorite comic panels were of Scrooge McDuck's mansion where he was forever mining his vast piles of coins using steam shovels and buldozers to move his fortune around. As a kid, I was fascinated at the idea that someone's basement could be so loaded with money.
    When I got older, I realized my own house was steeped in a bunch money--it was called a mortgage.

[​IMG]

6. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan Stunt Coordinator

Bob Goughan

7. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    I remember her best as the crying, fading from view, ill-fated gal in the great Outer Limits episode, "The Man Who Was Never Born".

Flashgear likes this.
  8. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    Have a ton of Bugs Bunny comics, but not that one.

Lutz Koch likes this.
  9. Message #2949 of 3146 Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Revisit
    "Perfect Setup" (S2E33)

I'm an idiot. I decided to re-watch this episode this morning, forgetting that it's one of the best martini-accompanying story lines of the season. Not that I'm adverse to a breakfast martini (swapping out the olive for a cantaloupe cube), but this would cause wifey to rethink my retirement activities as somewhat frivolous. Imagine.

Jeff Spencer, all chipper and fresh, returns from his vacation in Palm Springs. It was a choice between there and the sulky races in Des Moines. Waiting in his office is none other than Tracy Steele and Cricket Blake (Anthony Eisley, Connie Stevens) of Hawaiian Eye fame--surprising Jeff into cornily blurting out the show's theme song. The pair are here to convince Jeff to come to Hawaii and assist in an undercover case. Apparently a phone call wouldn't do. Jeff initially refuses until Cricket breathlessly rubs up against him like a polishing rag.

On the plane to Hawaii, Cricket and Jeff waste no time in annoying the passengers with a senseless ditty "I Like the Likes of You". A few folks try to pop the escape door just to get away. But WB is adamant in promoting its stars' versatility no matter what. Landing, Jeff finds his way to a remote part of the island where he assumes the undercover role of a cheery tourist taken in by the tropic delights. One of the delights is hotel employee Carol (Myrna Hansen) who, along with Victor King (Skip Ward) are planning to rob the local plantation's payroll. They hope to use Jeff as a scapegoat. Victor is unhappily married to plain jane Jessica (Joyce Meadows). They hate one another, so Vic hopes to take the money and run away with Carol to some exotic place far away. Like Nebraska.
    Jeff gets a job singing in the tiny hotel's lounge which accommodates about 7 people. No cover charge necessary. Included in this mix of characters is local police chief Mel (Warren Stevens)--who has eyes for Carol. He and Jeff do not get off on the right footing.

upload_2019-8-18_11-20-25. upload_2019-8-18_11-21-22. [​IMG]
    Cricket and Jeff annoy passengers; Myrna tries out her lusty expression; you just can't take the guitar away from this guy...

Meanwhile Jeff and Carol connect and seemingly are rehearsing for an Ester Williams film by cavorting in the local lagoon (courtesy WB's jungle set). Carol is working overtime to seduce Jeff into her and Victor's plot. So here's how it all plays out: Carol wants Jeff. Mel wants Carol. Jessica is in love with anyone other than Victor. Victor loves money. It's an Hawaiian Peyton Place. We completely forget Jeff's original assignment which was to nab a big time thief named Nick Saldano--but somewhere mid-script, the writers completely abandoned that angle in favor of catching Victor stealing a plantation payroll instead. Nick Saldano is never mentioned again. Very curious.

Oh sure, this story never really gets any closer to actual Hawaii than does Muncie, Indiana--but it's still great fun to capture the "Hawaiian Eye" vibe with all its grassy ferns, palm trees and tiki lamps. Pass the rumaki, please.

Notes:
    On the airplane, the clouds seen outside the port window never move. It's a rare feat for an airliner to maintain a stationary position in mid air.

As a kid watching this show when it originally aired, I quickly tagged Jeff Spencer as my favorite character. His performance in this episode was characteristic of his care-free joking and ultra cool mannerisms that I found sooo enchanting throughout the entire series. I wanted to grow up to be Jeff Spencer. I missed by a long shot.

Pretty Myrna Hansen (measurements 38-25-33) wore a lot of crowns in her career: "Miss Outdoors", Miss Photo Flash", "Miss USA", "Miss Press Club", just to name a few. Now at 85, she currently lives in Beverly Hills with her third husband. I'm guessing a photo album sits prominently on her coffee table.

10. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    The Decades Binge of 77SS continues next weekend with selections from seasons 5 and 6.

Gary16 likes this.
  11. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    END OF THE LINE FOR 77SS ON METV.
    Their new schedule effective 9/2/19 has BARNABY JONES replacing 77 at 4am.
    It was fun while it lasted.

12. Message #2952 of 3146 Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Well, poop! I was REALLY hoping for a new rotation of Hawaiian Eye or Surfside 6.
    I'm going to protest by refusing to watch MeTV for at least the next hour.

RBailey and Gary16 like this.
  13. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Sadly, 77 Sunset Strip is off the Me-TV schedule as of 9-2. It's been a long run!

EDIT: OOPS. I should have refreshed before posting.

14. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I'm terribly bummed that Me-TV is ending its run of 77 Sunset Strip. I realize that they were not going to run it indefinitely, and I'm grateful that they ran it as long as they did, but I'm afraid that with no WB detective shows on the schedule anywhere this thread will die out.

How can we keep this good thing going?

Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  15. Message #2955 of 3146 Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I dunno, Rob. I've been revisiting and writing about many already seen episodes-- but I see even those are losing interest here. It would be sad to see this thread falter and die. It has been my alternate 'home' for nearly 2 years.

Maybe time to change my Avatar?

Flashgear, criblecoblis and Gary16 like this.
  16. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I'm back. It is clear that we probably will never have a legal release of WB mystery TV series shows. I really don't know the future of broadcasting but it looks dim.

But the regulars here have copies of these shows and I suspect other WB shows that they have recorded off the air.

How about?
    1. Revisit at the beginning - doing in depth studies of each episode. Not so much the story but other items - Director - Writer - Locations - etc.

2. Discuss more of the other WB mysteries. I know not everyone has copies but...

3. Open the floor for suggestions. What would others like in this space?

You guys have had a very good run. The amount of info on 77SS here is amazing. You have also created friendships in this forum and you need to find a way to keep something going.

Flashgear, criblecoblis and Gary16 like this.
  17. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
  18. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
  19. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    No! Don't change that avatar! I'm not changing mine.

I haven't been pulling my weight here, but I'll try to rectify that soon.

There's no real reason that this thread has to die. There's lots still to talk about. I have some ideas, which I will talk about in response to Marv's comment below.

Flashgear and Gary16 like this.