1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Interestingly, I looked out my window just a minute ago and a Rolls drove right by...the kind that Amos Burke used to cruise around in!

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  2. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Where every day is a holiday, every meal* is a banquet.

*I'm talking about In-N-Out burgers. We don't get those in Indiana, dammit.

criblecoblis and Flashgear like this.
  3. Message #2843 of 2987 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    And while we're talking about shooting locations, before we leave the first season behind for another rotation let me point out one more, from S1E20 "Lovely Alibi."

When Stu drives up to Sun Valley to find where Ed Bird's (Claude Akins) girlfriend Jill Franklyn (Andra Martin) has been hiding out, we get this shot:

S01E20 Lovely.Alibi - Glendale College.

This is North Verdugo Road in Glendale; Stu is traveling northbound, and behind him is Glendale College. I recognized it immediately, because I must have traveled this road a few thousand times; later in his trip, Stu would have had to pass a block north of my boyhood home in Whiting Woods (also in Glendale).

And to complete the trainspotting, the other cars are, from back to front: an MG TC, a Triumph TR-2, and some sort of Forward Look Plymouth, perhaps a 1957 model. At least, I think so; I welcome correction by more learned eyes.

Flashgear, Gary16 and Rustifer like this.
  4. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I'm going with a '57 or '58 Plymouth Belvedere--mainly for the abrupt fin humps. Front end in the pic is a bit too blurry to nail it down.

5. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I love the vintage streetscapes, people, storefronts and cars of classic TV...a sadly bygone world. It's too bad that one of our favorite classic series, 77 Sunset Strip didn't do more location filming in LA and Southern CA...but if you love the LA streetscapes of the mid and late '50s just as the Eisenhower era freeways and other public works and private and explosive re-developments were really beginning to transform the greater Los Angeles area, you can't possibly do better than to revisit Broderick Crawford's Highway Patrol...the syndicated ZIV series from 1955-59. I grew up in a much smaller Canadian city in the years just following this period, but there is so much of a comforting resonance I find in the LA streets of that time, a commonality between how things looked in that era and especially, how people of varying age groups dressed...the cars, trucks and trains remained pretty much universal across postwar North America as well...here's some screencaps I took from the TMG/MGM Highway Patrol DVDs of locations within a reasonable proximity to the strip, or right on it...although some are rather far afield of the 8500 block...
    A sunset 7.JPG

The Paradise Motel, 1116 Sunset Blvd. Still there today?
    A sunset 8.JPG
    A sunset 9.JPG
    A sunset 10.JPG
    A sunset 11.JPG
    A sunset 12.JPG

12200 Sunset area in 1955...our hero Broderick Crawford as Dan Mathews, you just know he has a flask on him at all times, ha, ha...the stories I've read claimed that you needed to get the shot done before noon, when Crawford would usually have an enormous meal and really start bending the bottle...
    A sunset 2.JPG
    A sunset 3.JPG

The Harrington, 5224 Sunset, gone now? I haven't been in LA for 5 years, an eternity for that ever morphing city. I do however remember many of the prominent sites of the late Pleistocene Epoch...
    A sunset 5.JPG

I include this one for the rarity of the car...a 1956 DeSoto Firedome/Fireflite station wagon...also at the Harrington Motel...a very expensive family wagon in those twilight years of the DeSoto marquee...
    A sunset 6.JPG

I'm just trying to keep the nostalgic vibe going here, let me know if this stuff is or isn't of interest...I could post some beautiful and eye popping shots from a 1958-59 Highway Patrol episode that represents a phenomenal tour of Glendale, including some marvelous scenes filmed at the old Glendale railway station...And I could post some screencaps from my Surfside 6 homemade DVDs...it might not be all that well known now, but the WB production team did actually send a second unit to South Beach Miami, and there are scenes featuring Troy Donahue and Lee Paterson at those locations that don't look faked to me...I'm not just talking about the opening titles scenes here...definitely no rear projection and other such nonsense...

Attached Files:

6. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Yes. Love this stuff. More please.

Flashgear, criblecoblis and Rustifer like this.
  7. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I was sure you'd be able to put a finer point on it! And I'm happy to have the confirmation that I was right, as far as I went.

Gary16, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  8. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Randall, by all means keep this up! More screencaps, please! I'm happy to report that the Paradise Motel was still there, gloriously unaltered and with all its neon ablaze, a few months ago when we drove by. Sadly, however, the Harrington is long gone, replaced by a squalid strip mall.

I watched Highway Patrol extensively in reruns as a boy, and from that I formed the strong impression that Broderick Crawford was a lousy actor, because it seemed to me he sleep-walked through every episode. It was only as an adult that I discovered that in his day he was actually quite a fine actor, both at comedy and drama. He was the son of the delightful Helen Broderick.

Gary16, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  9. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    It's likely just a matter of time. Look at what happened with Trader Joe's.

Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  10. Message #2850 of 2987 Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Revisited
    "The Kookie Caper" (S2E2)

It's a rare rainy afternoon in LA. Montgomery and Maurita Pittman are sipping cocktails in their nicely-appointed home and contemplating season two of 77 Sunset Strip. "Let's do a fashion jewelry robbery show right in Dino's," suggests Monte. "Hold that thought", responds Maurita, mixing another whiskey sour. "This Kookie thing is really starting to take off--we should do an entire episode around him."
    "Maybe throw in our daughter Sherry, too?" Monte offers. "Perfect" responds Maurita."We'll make it humorous almost to the point of ridiculous. It'll be fun."

Cut to a ferocious dust storm in the Nevada desert. A girl is stumbling blindly through it and sees a car stop at a nightclub. As the owner gets out, she scrambles into the back seat and hunkers down secretly. She's going to overhear some interesting stuff when he gets back in and uses his car phone.
    When next we see the car, it's pulling into the parking lot next to the Bailey & Spencer office. Mr. Laroque (John Hubbard) steps out to greet Kookie as he rushes up to park the car. Laroque has a tailor shop on the second floor of the office. As he departs, Kookie grabs the girl (Sherry Jackson) as she tries to escape from the back seat. Tired, dirty and hungry, she takes Kookie up on his offer to drive her someplace to eat and listen to her story. He ends up installing her in Suzanne's apartment, who is conveniently away on vacation.

Meanwhile, Jeff Spencer and Stu Bailey are hired to find Carrie Rockland, the young runaway granddaughter heiress of Silas Rockland, a multimillionaire with the humor of a herniated sumo wrestler. You're probably already starting to put two and two together, right? Stu and Jeff learn that Kookie has the runaway securely stashed. Also on her trail is their gum chewing gumshoe competitor, 'Legs' Carson (King Donovan). Laroque also has a vested interest in finding her, as his business is actually a front for a smuggling outfit, which she overheard while scrunched on the floor of the back seat. Carrie, on the other hand, doesn't want to be found and distracts Kookie by swapping spit with him. He nearly forgets she's only 17, which would be a one-way ticket to molester town.
    Grabbed by Legs, who in turn is snached by Laroque's goon, they all end up in the 2nd floor tailor shop. Kookie to the rescue! Turns out Carrie is not the heiress, just a young girl wanting to be a TV star in Hollywood, hopefully to work with Sugarfoot (Will Hutchins) some day. Just guess how the episode ends.*

upload_2019-7-1_10-23-29. upload_2019-7-1_10-24-0. upload_2019-7-1_10-24-34.
    Kookie tries to remember she's only 17; Jeff catching up on some lofty literature at the airport, King Donovan in a role made for him

This is a rather disjointed story, but can easily be forgiven due to almost constant humor and gags spread liberally throughout. An absolute gem of an episode that needs to be watched more than once to catch all the fun references.

Notes:
    I'm pretty sure this oft-seen photo was pulled right off this particular episode as the boys are being followed by Legs Carson on the WB back lot cityscape:

[​IMG]

Roscoe tries desperately to man the switchboard while Suzanne is on vacation. He accidentally connects Jeff with a sexy gal where we only see her mouth. It's Mary Tyler Moore--you can easily tell by her voice.

upload_2019-7-1_10-29-53.

Roger tries to stall Silas Rockland from reuniting with his granddaughter by driving all over the city as if lost, stopping in front of the Pasadena Fire Station (Rob?) and ending up at a West Covina subdivision.

There's plenty of WB cross promotion going on--what with numerous references to Will Hutchins and Sugarfoot, and one scene where Kookie is reading a TV Guide with the Maverick Brothers on the cover.

upload_2019-7-1_10-34-24.
    *Yep, this is how it ends.

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  11. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Gosh I hope you're right, Rob! It'll give me a good reason to buy some stretchy pants.

12. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Yeah, I keep hoping that Cracker Barrel expands into the LA area someday, even though I really shouldn't ever eat there again.

Do you actually have a Trader Joe's in your town, by the way?

13. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I'm fairly certain these are both backlot shots. Pasadena has a lot of fire stations, and none of them would have been that antiquated in 1959. And the subdivision sign looks like a quickie studio sign shop job. Still, I love the local references. West Covina was quite far afield before the Foothill Freeway, even from Pasadena.

These little details added meaning to the story for those who knew the layout. It emphasized for them the fact that Jeff really was taking them on a snipe hunt. That was classic Montgomery Pittman. According to EZ, he seemed to collect locations like some people collect Hummel figurines, and his shows typically had a strong sense of place to them.

I'm surprised he never got around to working in Inglewood, where he, Maurita and the family lived at one point. It's within easy striking distance from the Bailey & Spencer offices—just nine miles or so down La Cienega.

Rustifer, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  14. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I wasn't aware of Montgomery Pittman's relationship to Sherry Jackson until reading about it earlier in this thread, being originally mentioned by you Russ or was it Rob? It certainly makes for some richer meaning in seeing this childhood photo of Sherry as shown in this screen cap I took from the episode itself...and my, how she turned into this beauty...
    Highway Patrol 64. Highway Patrol 63.

Russ, I agree, it's one of the best second season episodes. The entire cast seems to be having great fun...screen caps from The Kookie Caper...
    Highway Patrol 65.
    Highway Patrol 46.
    Highway Patrol 48.
    Highway Patrol 50.
    Highway Patrol 53.
    Highway Patrol 54.

This episode features some of my favorite Roscoe moments, with Jeff's quip to the harried Roscoe while he struggles with Suzanne's plugboard: "You always bragged about your connections"
    Highway Patrol 56.
    Highway Patrol 57.
    Highway Patrol 61.
    Anybody who could cross wires and connect a guy to the likes of Mary Tyler Moore is doing something right...until Roscoe follows through with an ill timed pulling of the plug just as Jeff is about to get her address!
    Highway Patrol 60.
    Highway Patrol 59.

Love it!
    Highway Patrol 52.

criblecoblis, Rustifer and Gary16 like this.
  15. Message #2855 of 2987 Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    As promised, and with you gent's encouragement, (thank you for that by the way), I thought I'd take some more newly taken screen caps from my Highway Patrol DVDs...an entirely different TV series, but one that is a close contemporary to 77 Sunset Strip...and a series that offers an unparalleled and unsurpassed bounty of vintage Los Angeles location shooting that is pertinent to the nostalgic Eisenhower and JFK era private investigator world that we knew Stu, Jeff, Kookie and Roscoe inhabited...in this first case Glendale, perhaps a little farther afield, but not by much, from the Strip...Glendale remains one of my most fondly remembered areas, with it's scenic proximity to Griffith Park, Bronson Canyon, Chavez Ravine and Dodger Stadium, Johnny Carson's infamous Burbank, among other things...I know that Russ and Rob have mentioned some of the many famous fast food chains that were born in Southern California...Glendale gave birth to Bob's Big Boy and Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors...Glendale, of course, has been subject to the same large scale Terraforming and gentrification as much of the rest of LA, with a huge industrial park that includes the studios of Dreamworks SKG, among other entertainment industry spill overs from Burbank...thankfully, the old art deco / SW adobe Glendale air terminal from the 1920s remains in the industrial park, somewhere...

When I first watched the season four Highway Patrol episode, Hostage, (syndicated air date Oct. 13, 1958) I was struck by an impressive action scene and shootout filmed at the old Glendale Train Station (400 W. Cerritos Ave.)...another attractive art deco / faux desert SW adobe building from the very early 20th century..
    Highway Patrol 3.

Thank God it still exists to this day...
    [​IMG]

Guest star young Peter Breck (later in Black Saddle and Big Valley, of course) plays a greasy desperado up on capitol murder charges about to be extradited to Arizona and the death house there...he's about to make a getaway with the help of his equally homicidal brother...
    Highway Patrol 4.

Once the gunplay starts, Broderick Crawford and William Boyett scramble to action, arriving in their 1958 Buick Special...proof positive that American automakers had finally achieved maximum chrome, ha, ha...
    Highway Patrol 17.
    Highway Patrol 10.

Crawford, who had the reputation of being a heavy smoker, a big eater and an even bigger drinker, proves surprisingly agile during the pursuit...
    Highway Patrol 8.
    Highway Patrol 9.

Anybody that would use a beautiful Chevy Bel Aire as cover in a gunfight deserves to be shot, ha, ha...
    Highway Patrol 6.
    Highway Patrol 7.

Breck takes beautiful Joan Marshall hostage...
    Highway Patrol 12.
    Highway Patrol 13.

Carjacking her 1956 Plymouth Belvedere...3700 block of Dover St....
    Highway Patrol 11.

3212 Glendale Blvd.,
    Highway Patrol 14.

3605 Glenfeliz Blvd., Crawford ducking into a Ma Bell payphone booth...Safeway across the street long gone...
    Highway Patrol 15.
    Highway Patrol 16.

Peter Breck was, of course, a frequent guest star in the WB shows...4 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, including Lovely Lady, Pity Me, which aired at almost the same time as this episode...Peter Breck was also memorable playing President Teddy Roosevelt in both Sugarfoot and Bronco, and as Doc Holliday in a recurring role in several episodes of Maverick...he was also in numerous other episodes for Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Roaring 20s, Lawman and Cheyenne during this period...Joan Marshall likewise was in all the WB shows...including in 77 Sunset Strip's Fraternity of Fear in season two and Pattern For a Bomb in season four...they do get around, don't they?

ponset, Gary16 and Rustifer like this.
  16. Message #2856 of 2987 Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    We got Cracker Barrels at nearly every interchange off the expressway. I don't eat there often--but when I do, I go for their fried chicken livers. Yes, I realize I just lost whatever minimal stature I ever held in this thread by admitting that.

Trader Joe's is a staple here in Indy. I go there to buy frozen langostinos. Can't get them anywhere else. I use them as a garnish for my parmesan-crusted cod. Great prices on cheese, too.
    I'd be happy to post my weekly shopping list to anyone who's interested.

This alone should be reason enough to anoint Glendale as hallowed ground. Bob's Big Boy restaurants have since moved out of Indiana, so a favored taste of my childhood is gone forever.

Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  17. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Randall, these screen caps are GREAT! You've created our own little section of noirish LA here in the thread.
    I always liked Broderick Crawford, even though he looked like one prime rib away from a coronary.

Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  18. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks Russ! I just wish that Warner had released 77 Sunset Strip and the other WB detective shows in remastered DVDs so I could take screen caps from them that might equal these from Highway Patrol...all my WB detective show sources vary in visual quality, from very good to awful, some from 16mm film and most from Goodlife TV...here in Canada, we don't get MeTV easily...so I envy you guys in seeing the newer video transfers done for them...

I agree with you and Rob about good 'ol Broderick Crawford. an Oscar winning actor no less, and the biggest star that ZIV ever contracted, even considering Lloyd Bridges (Seahunt) and Gene Barry (Bat Masterson), ha, ha... I do have more screen caps from other episodes of Highway Patrol that have more eye popping scenes taken at Grove's Overlook high point showing the Hollywood freeway and the huge gasometer tanks down below...and some terrific shots from Figueroa Terraces overlooking downtown and LA City Hall...marvelous scenes on old Melrose Ave....I'll post these soon...and the cars, my lord, the cars! Ultra rare DeSoto Adventurers, DeSoto Firesweeps, Dodge Coronets and Dodge Custom Royals...all new and gleaming...worth millions in the aggregate today...

Just a taste...of the smog, that is...
    Highway Patrol 18.
    Highway Patrol 19.
    Highway Patrol 28.

19. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Randall, an excellent post, with lots of tasty screencaps. It's great seeing Glendale and Atwater from that time, and kudos for figuring out the precise locations by address. Being a big Peter Breck fan, I really want to see that episode now!

And I love that old, tiny storefront Safeway in the background of that one shot. The whole area used to be littered with them. I know Montrose actually had two in the same block. They were all gone by the time I moved here, but we did have what had to have been one of the earliest of the stand-alone Safeways up on Foothill at Pennsylvania. To me it seemed positively prehistoric: cramped, ill-lit, old-building smell. . . I loved it!

Flashgear likes this.
  20. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Yes, it is great to be able to get them in 720p. It makes a big difference. I just wish they didn't crop them. . . or edit them, for that matter.

Flashgear likes this.