What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (4 Viewers)

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
My dog's opinion of me, I've discovered, is very much influenced on whether I have a treat in my hand.

Russ, don't sell yourself, or your charming pup, short. She may know how to game you for maximum treatage, because we all know you're putty in her paws, but she nevertheless loves you unconditionally, because you're you.

Gee, I hope I recall your dog's gender correctly. . . .

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Well, not necessarily. Depending on the project, actors often have to get up extremely early to be at the studio in time for make-up, wardrobe, blocking rehearsals, etc., as well as the crew members who are also involved. .

As an inveterate night owl who has enjoyed breakfast at every hour around the clock (I miss you, Al's!), I think Dino's' staying open for two hours after last call to accommodate the most consistently active Angelenos was its most beguiling feature. If I were lucky enough to be Stu Bailey back in the day, you would be most likely to find me at Dino's between 2 and 4 AM, enjoying steak and eggs.

Because, I hasten to add, the 24/7 lifestyle is so very Angeleno.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, don't sell yourself, or your charming pup, short. She may know how to game you for maximum treatage, because we all know you're putty in her paws, but she nevertheless loves you unconditionally, because you're you.

Gee, I hope I recall your dog's gender correctly. . . .
Yep, she's a large and very gentle Pit named Hope. A wonderful companion

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
As an inveterate night owl who has enjoyed breakfast at every hour around the clock (I miss you, Al's!), I think Dino's' staying open for two hours after last call to accommodate the most consistently active Angelenos was its most beguiling feature. If I were lucky enough to be Stu Bailey back in the day, you would be most likely to find me at Dino's between 2 and 4 AM, enjoying steak and eggs.

Because, I hasten to add, the 24/7 lifestyle is so very Angeleno.
We're I an Angeleno, Rob, you'd find me right next to you at Dino's-- asking if I could borrow your bottle of Tabasco...

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Well, not necessarily. Depending on the project, actors often have to get up extremely early to be at the studio in time for make-up, wardrobe, blocking rehearsals, etc., as well as the crew members who are also involved. Breakfast at 3:30 AM isn't so crazy if you have to go over the hill to Warners, Disney, Universal or one of the many ranches and be there by, say, 5:00.

Mike S.

I said NORMAL person.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
We're I an Angeleno, Rob, you'd find me right next to you at Dino's-- asking if I could borrow your bottle of Tabasco...

You'd have to borrow that from my wife, who puts Tabasco or chili flakes on everything. I have a gutta-percha stomach. I love hot things, but they decidedly do not like me. In fact, at this passage in my life, I don't even put salt on anything!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
BTW my post above referencing Al's was a link to a noirish photo of it. Al's was a coffee shop at Sixth and Rampart, across the street from the car wash used in the film Car Wash. When I was in the USC dorms, there was a long string of bomb threats that regularly turned us out in the middle of the night. At first we'd spend the time at Tommy's, but then we discovered Al's nearby, where we could get two eggs any style 24/7.

I knew I was even then growing obsolescent when, one of those late nights at Al's, we heard a Muzak version of "The Ballad of John And Yoko." We all looked at each other and concluded that if they could make a Muzak version of that, they could make a Muzak version of anything.

It wasn't too long afterwards that I started drinking.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Revisited
"The Fifth Stair" (S1E22)

The series' writers were lounging around, trying to figure out a good angle for 77 SS first season's 22nd episode. Up to now, they'd been successful in pushing out some good story lines that were getting great traction for the show in the ratings. But today--well, ideas were in short order. In walks English playwright Fred Knott, who just happened to be hanging around the studio. "What's up, boys? Slow going today?"
The writers nod despondently.
"I've got an idea for you", Fred offers. "I wrote a little movie about four years ago for Al Hitchcock that might work for a 77 SS episode. In fact, here's the entire script--don't even bother changing the characters' names. Just stick in different actors. Oh, and maybe call it Dial D For Death. No--that's too close. How about The Fourth Stair? No, wait. The Fifth Stair works better. Yeah, let's go with that."

And that's my version of how this episode came about.

About the only difference between this show and "Dial M For Murder" is series' star Jeff Spencer as the former beau of Margot Wendice (Julie Adams), having written her a Dear Jane letter years ago as he was about to go into the service. The letter becomes an object of jealous rage for her husband Tony (Richard Long) and propels him into a venomous plan to murder his wife.

upload_2019-6-12_10-1-38.jpeg
images

Julie Adams and Richard Long vs. the original cast

Although Richard Long does a credible job in the role of Tony Wendice, he's no Ray Milland. Ray could display the eyes of a trapped animal and a weaselly sneakiness as good as any actor alive--as seen in his "Lost Weekend" role. And it's too easy to say that Julie Adams is no Grace Kelly because, well, no one is. But isn't it interesting that the weapon she used to kill the would-be murderer was changed from a pair of scissors to a gun? Perhaps Julie had an aversion to sewing scissors. I guess Knott thought he should change something from the original. Either weapon works as a killing instrument, so who cares? Alfred Hitchcock wanted scissors, saying "a murder without gleaming scissors is like asparagus without hollandaise sauce--tasteless."

A nice little addition to the episode utilizes Kookie's wolfishness to discover the extra key hidden under the carpeting on the staircase--he's busy looking up the skirt of a descending lady when the key reveals itself. The fact that Kookie and Stu Bailey solve the mystery is a complete departure from the original--but hey, ya gotta use the series' stars in some capacity.

I guess if one had never seen Dial M For Murder, this episode would rate pretty high in excitement and intrigue. There's no secret that Warner Bros. had little hesitancy in recycling scripts between their properties, but gee whiz--one would think that in the first season of 77 SS, there would have still been enough original ideas from writers to produce another unique episode without rubber stamping an earlier blockbuster movie.

Randoms:
Although Frederick Knott only wrote this one episode of 77 SS, he had one other connection via his play / movie "Wait Until Dark" (1967) which starred Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.

Warner Brothers forced Alfred Hitchcock to make "Dial M For Murder" to fulfill his contract with the studio. So much was his disinterest that he claimed he could have phoned in his direction, and that the action wouldn't have been any less interesting if he'd staged it in a phone booth.

I haven't Seen Dial M For Murder for some time, but from what I remember, the same apartment set for the movie was also used in the TV episode. If not, it was still very similar to the layout.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
You'd have to borrow that from my wife, who puts Tabasco or chili flakes on everything.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that tendency. I've got a daughter-in-law who dumps cayenne pepper on any foodstuffs she intends to eat. She read somewhere that hot pepper is a deterrent to fat in food.
I consider myself a fair cook, so I can't begin to tell you how often I've had to turn my head in dismay after she rains spoonfuls of pepper all over my carefully prepared and perfectly seasoned Polo Barcelona.

images

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Yeah, I'm familiar with that tendency. I've got a daughter-in-law who dumps cayenne pepper on any foodstuffs she intends to eat. She read somewhere that hot pepper is a deterrent to fat in food.

Well, she doesn't put Tabasco or chili flakes on everything, but these are her favorite condiments.

And while I share her taste for heat, I don't have her cast-iron stomach.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I haven't Seen Dial M For Murder for some time, but from what I remember, the same apartment set for the movie was also used in the TV episode. If not, it was still very similar to the layout.

Russ, I've noticed that too, and I agree.

I actually prefer "The Fifth Stair" to Dial M for Murder. While I am a big Hitchcock fan, I think that this film is not one of his best. A friend of mine believes this is because Hitchcock was so pre-occupied with the 3D process used in the film that it distracted him from the other aspects of the film.

Thinking he may be right, I recently obtained a 3D copy of the film, but I haven't watched it yet. We're still too busy watching 77SS all the time.

As I believe we have discussed previously here, "The Fifth Stair" was one of two remakes of Hitchcock films featuring Richard Long that first season, the other being "One False Step" (Shadow of A Doubt). I assume this was done to give Long exposure for his coming starring role in Bourbon Street Beat. I think he's great in both of them; I think Long was at his best when showing his dark side.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Russ, I've noticed that too, and I agree.

I actually prefer "The Fifth Stair" to Dial M for Murder. While I am a big Hitchcock fan, I think that this film is not one of his best. A friend of mine believes this is because Hitchcock was so pre-occupied with the 3D process used in the film that it distracted him from the other aspects of the film.

Thinking he may be right, I recently obtained a 3D copy of the film, but I haven't watched it yet. We're still too busy watching 77SS all the time.

As I believe we have discussed previously here, "The Fifth Stair" was one of two remakes of Hitchcock films featuring Richard Long that first season, the other being "One False Step" (Shadow of A Doubt). I assume this was done to give Long exposure for his coming starring role in Bourbon Street Beat. I think he's great in both of them; I think Long was at his best when showing his dark side.
One slight correction: “One False Step” was based on “Strangers on a Train” not “Shadow of a Doubt”.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
She read somewhere that hot pepper is a deterrent to fat in food.

Hadn't heard that, but I have seen on a program that their were health benefits to eating hot and/or spicy things, but I just can't. I don't think meals should involve torture.

...my carefully prepared and perfectly seasoned Polo Barcelona.

I don't know what that is so I looked it up, but all I was getting was references to a Spanish sports stadium...until I guessed you might have meant "pollo."

Now I know what it is...is this a dinner invitation? :thumbs-up-smiley:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I don't know what that is so I looked it up, but all I was getting was references to a Spanish sports stadium...until I guessed you might have meant "pollo."

Now I know what it is...is this a dinner invitation? :thumbs-up-smiley:

You are absolutely right, Martin, as to the spelling of Pollo Barcelona. Interestingly (to no one actually reading this), my brother (also a cook) and I found an old cookbook some 40 years ago that had, among many dishes, two chicken recipes. One was "Spanish Chicken", the other "Pollo Barcelona"--both very similar in ingredients. We opted for the Spanish Chicken ingredients as more to our taste, but felt that the name Pollo Barcelona sounded so much more intriguing and decided that's what we'd call our concoction. And so it lives on under that alias.

And yes, should you ever find yourself in Carmel Indiana, I would be most happy to invite you to dinner. Cocktails begin at 4:00.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Revisited
"Abra Cadaver" (S1E28)

Jeff Spencer, as a "Mr. Bryant" applies for a nebulous job at a phantom firm that specializes in insurance scams. Of course, Bailey & Spencer has been retained by Pacific Orient Insurance to uncover this dastardly scheme by creating a sting operation. Wearing a cheap sport jacket off the rack from Sears, polo shirt and cigarette dangling from his mouth, Spencer portrays the perfect unscrupulous player. Just the sort of guy boss Ernie Hayden (Robert McQueeney) is looking for. He introduces Jeff to whom his "partner" is to be in the firm, smokey-beauty Audrey (Fay Spain), wearing an form-fitting ensemble that for all practical purposes as a covering hides absolutely nothing. Believe me, it's the very definition of eyeful.

Audrey and Jeff are to pose as Mr. and Mrs. George Shaw of San Diego. The idea is to kill off George and collect the life insurance, as craftily concocted by creepy insurance actuary Herman (Malcolm Atterbury).

upload_2019-6-19_11-22-39.jpeg
upload_2019-6-19_11-23-27.jpeg
upload_2019-6-19_11-24-9.jpeg

Fay Spain, Robert McQueeney, Malcolm Atterbury

So, most of this story focuses on Spencer and Audrey playing house together. Audrey practically purrs when she speaks to Jeff and does some highly credible sashaying in front of him. Although they attempt to maintain separate bedrooms in their "honeymoon suite", that lasts about 5 minutes. Nice to see the boy get his wick lit, even though each are playing the other. It's only a matter of time before Jeff's cover is discovered. Just when we think Audrey is buying into Jeff's undeniable charm (flowers, dinner, sweet murmurings, etc.), she spikes his coffee and discovers his real identity. The con is off. Let's just kill Jeff and be done with it.

Stu, who has been lurking in the background saves the day because--well, that was his job in the sting.

Notes:
Jeff and Audrey's apartment is the same oft-used location that Rob has researched in past episodes.

Pernell Roberts has a rather non-satisfying role as a henchman--just prior to his eventual stardom in Bonanza.

This is a well-scripted episode, directed by Mark Sandrich, Jr. that actually involves investigation. It has a hefty-nice 50's feel about it, for once not depending on the ubiquitous WB musty stage settings from the 30's and 40's that are so often used as a matter of convenience. This is a keeper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks