1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I appreciate the kudos, Randall--and yes, kudos to all the others who participate on this thread. It has developed into a fine little community.

2. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Just a quick comment on Me-TV's print of "Girl on The Run." I believe that we've established here that the full TV print runs 77 minutes. The print available on Dailymotion runs 70 minutes 10 seconds.

I've just pulled the audio track from the Me-TV print and edited out all the commercials. The result: it runs 69 minutes 1 second.

I believe that they've cut out something crucial from the Dailymotion print, but I can't confirm that until I watch both versions. Stay tuned.

Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I recorded my copy off air decades ago. I'll pull it out tomorrow and check the run time.

4. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    MeTV May have time compressed it slightly I’ll need to run my print again to see what is missing from the other prints. As I posted last year my print runs about 81 minutes. I will double check the time on it too.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I compared the Me-TV print with the Dailymotion, and I'm sorry to say I was right in my suspicion: Me-TV oafishly cut out the crucial, if brief, exposition of Stu's back story.

It happens after Stu says, in the bar scene where he realizes he's been sold a bill of goods by Shepperd Strudwick's character, "Here's where both of us turn around and fight."

The Me-TV print then cuts immediately to Stu saying, "Here's where we regroup." This excises 28 seconds, during which Stu gives his backstory.

They could not have picked a worse place to cut.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  6. Message #2726 of 3137 May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    "Don't Wait For Me" (S6E8)

So here's how I imagine this episode came about. The writing staff is sitting around the office in the late afternoon after a highly unproductive day. They're puffing on unfiltered Pall Malls and maybe passing around a pint of Jim Beam to loosen the cobwebs from their brain gears. The script deadline is tomorrow and none of them have an inkling of an idea yet. After taking the last gulp of bourbon, Bob Dennis suddenly jumps up. "I've got it! We'll do a really crappy version of West Side Story--it won't have anything to do with a detective mystery, but hey--it's practically already written. We can whip this out in 5 minutes!" The other writers nod eagerly. After all, a script is due tomorrow.

Opening Scene: Sixteen year-old Sharin Patterson (Brenda Scott) is chasing boyfriend Marco Costa (Gus Trikonis) across the park and into the woods. We don't know why at this point. A shot rings out. Sharin is found injured and Marco is nowhere to be found. Did she shoot herself?
    Jane Patterson (Jo Van Fleet), Sharin's mom, is a bitter, overbearing prune of a woman used to getting her way. She is not about to buy the idea that her daughter tried to commit suicide--bad for the family name--and hires Stu to find reason to charge Marco with some sort of crime. Seems that Marco comes from east of Kisler Street, which we're led to believe is akin to something an ill dog would leave on the carpet.
    We soon learn love between Marco and Sharin is just not meant to be.

upload_2019-5-13_10-36-47. upload_2019-5-13_10-38-9. [​IMG]
    Brenda Scott, Jo Van Fleet, Gus Trikonis

Bailey visits Sharin in the hospital where she is reading--appropriately--Romeo and Juliet. It's just not real misery unless you mine it until the ore runs out. Stu assures her that "women aren't always sensible when it comes to love". Not exactly a progressive view, but Sharin is being very dodgy to Stu's questions as to what happened in the park.

Stu takes a trip to the nasty east side, which looks like Scout and Jem's neighborhood in "To Kill a Mockingbird". Somewhere, Boo Radley was skulking around leaving little toys in tree knots. Marco and his brother (Christopher Dark) wear sweat shirts and chinos, which are sure signs of demonstrable hooliganism. Marco is no more forthcoming as to the park circumstances than was Sharin, and eventually is arrested for illegal gun possession. Marco's brother calls Stu "a dirty fink", which would turn lesser men into a quivering heap of shame. Stu punches him in the schnoz.

Mom Patterson wants to commit Sharin to an institution--there's some sort of dirty family secret here that we never learn--but she escapes the hospital and ends up meeting Marco at the park. They blubber incessantly of their love that will never be, and birds in the trees begin dropping dead from boredom. We never do learn how Sharin got shot. Nor do we care at this point.

Notes:
    This mishmash is an overly sentimental story that belongs more on "Days of Our Lives" than 77 Sunset Strip. No mystery, no danger, no bad guys. Veteran writer Robert Dennis, who's turned out some terrific scripts, phoned this one in as if he was late for dinner somewhere.

Marco's Mr. Novak-like high school teacher shows Bailey an essay Marco has written that suggests the kid is practically John Steinbeck.

I remember Jo Van Fleet's small but terrific performance in "Cool Hand Luke". But not nearly as much as I remember this scene:

[​IMG]

7. Message #2727 of 3137 May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Funny review! And I quite agree with you about this episode--although I see the writers smoking Chesterfields and drinking Old Forester.

Rustifer, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  8. Message #2728 of 3137 May 14, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Martin, I have the DVD of Man in the Vault, along with the other Batjac films in the John Wayne Suspense Collection, Ring of Fear, Track of the Cat and Plunder of the Sun...as you noted, Man in the Vault features some very fine LA streetscapes, circa 1956, including nightclubs on Sunset, and I thought I would take some screen caps from my DVD showing the very sights you mentioned...I hope others enjoy these visions of the alluring past...

The lovely Karen Sharpe (season five 77 Sunset Strip's Six Feet Under and Lady in the Sun), and William Campbell, probably best known for his appearances on Star Trek's The Trouble with Tribbles and, especially, as The Squire of Gothos...interestingly, William Campbell was a close friend of James Doohan ('Scotty' of Star Trek, of course) and served as the best man at James Doohan's wedding...both of these guys were also very close friends with Lee Marvin, sharing a house while they were all trying to break into the movies in the early '50s...another interesting fact about William Campbell is that his first wife was Judith Campbell Exner, they divorced in 1958, and she went on to notoriety as one of JFK's mistresses, having been introduced to the future president by Frank Sinatra...the affair exploding into the news in 1975-76 when her role as a secret conduit between President Kennedy and the infamous Chicago gangster Sam Giancana was revealed during testimony at the House Committee on Assassinations congressional hearings...
    Man Vault 21.JPG

Anita Ekberg...
    Man Vault 5.JPG

I'll take the girl and the car please...
    Man Vault 12.JPG

Chateau Marmont as seen from the hills above...William Campbell's pick-up line to Karen Sharpe: "Hey, I just made 10 dollars...want to catch a cab and have something to eat?" Ha, ha...luckily for him, the girl has her own Cadillac...he drives...
    Man Vault 6.JPG

Chateau Marmont in daylight from near the same vantage point...
    Man Vault 19.JPG

The Mocambo and Crescendo night clubs on Sunset...
    Man Vault 7.JPG
    Man Vault 8.JPG

The Hollywood Bowl on a "Dark" night...
    Man Vault 13.JPG

As Martin noted, the four corners of Hollywood Blvd., at Highland Avenue...Grauman's Chinese theater in the distance...
    Man Vault 15.JPG
    Man Vault 16.JPG
    Man Vault 17.JPG
    Man Vault 18.JPG

Art Linkletter's La Cienega bowling lanes, scene of the climatic gunfight in this movie...
    Man Vault 3.JPG
    Man Vault 22.JPG
    Man Vault 2.JPG
    Man Vault 20.JPG

Lutz Koch, ponset, RBailey and 6 others like this.
  9. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Good stuff as always, Randall. You are the Captain of Screen Caps!
    A tidbit about Karen Sharpe: Before she married Stanley Kramer, she left Hollywood for West Texas to run her father's businesses--an aluminum siding business, a moving and storage firm and an air conditioning company.
    She not only had a figure, she had a head for figures.

10. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    William Campbell is in one of the best Perry Mason episodes, "The Case of the Ill-Fated Faker," which has a nice surprise ending.

11. Message #2731 of 3137 May 14, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Very interesting details about Karen Sharpe, Russ! She's very good in her two episodes of 77 Sunset Strip and just about everything I've seen her in...what a striking lady, rocking this little black dress...this is William Campbell's bachelor pad as seen in Man in the Vault...check out that compact Hi-Fi radio and record player...maybe Stu and Jeff had one like it?...certainly Kookie...
    Man Vault 9.JPG
    Man Vault 10.JPG

The locksmith shop on Santa Monica Blvd that Campbell's character is employed at.,...I imagine that Pelton's motorcycle shop would be remembered by a number of old timers...
    Man Vault 14.JPG

12. Message #2732 of 3137 May 14, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    "By His Own Verdict" (S6E9)

You can all rest easy now--this is my last commentary on Season 6. For those of you who, like me, pooh-poohed the entire season--maybe a few of these commentaries will get you to revisit some episodes with a different attitude. It worked for me. Sometimes you can miss the best stuff if your eyes are closed.

Opening Scene: In the courtroom, the jury has reached a decision on the Max Dent (Nick Adams) murder case. Not Guilty. "Buhler?...Buhler?..."
    Max is looking to thank his lawyer Arnold Buhler (Joseph Cotten). Buhler is relieved at the verdict and admits to Max that this is his last case before stashing his briefcase in the closet and enjoying retirement by never having to wear pants around the house again. Learning that he cannot be tried twice for the same crime, Max admits to Buhler that he actually did commit the murder, leaving his lawyer looking like he just found a greasy hair in his cream of wheat.

Stu Bailey is hired by his old friend Arnold Buhler to investigate everything about Max Dent--his background, parents, friends, brand of toothpaste, boxer or briefs wearer, etc. Arnold just cannot take Max's admission of guilt as it's tilting his stability as a rational guy. Stu demurs, but admits "I need the money". Apparently he's gotten tired of ramen noodles every night for dinner.

upload_2019-5-14_10-47-4. upload_2019-5-14_10-47-30. upload_2019-5-14_10-47-46.
    Max and Arnold discussing the Red Sox season, Barbara Bain proving Goodwill dresses can look good, Stu showing off his cool T-bird swing-away steering column

Stu begins his investigative trek at the sight of the murder, a seedy hotel run by a manager who appears to have died a week ago but hasn't been told yet. The manager has a propensity of playing with toy robots, which gives one a clue as to his effectiveness as a useful informer. There's not much to be learned here. Bailey moves on next to a pool hall, where he meets Max Dent. Stu wants to know why Max would tell his lawyer that he's guilty. Max is coy. Did he actually commit the murder or just messing with Buhler's head?

Buhler gets tired of waiting for a report from Stu, and begins tailing Max relentlessly. Both are getting perilously close to flipping their mental pancakes. Stu, on the other hand, is looking for any clue that Max actually has a conscience. In the end, Buhler is chasing Max through a freight yard and down into one of those funky LA cement spillways where crime seems to fester like infected bunions. Buhler has decided to be judge, jury and executioner at the end of this chase. Max, now crazed as a boiled turtle, shoots Buhler dead. Now he's guilty of something, and Buhler gets his revenge. In a rather stupid way, I might add.

Notes:
    Barbara Bain has a thankless role as Max's reluctant floozy girlfriend. She hangs around a joint called Sarge's Bar, which has appeared in other 77 SS episodes.

I see a pattern that developed in Season 6--an opening scene in which a crime is committed, then the remainder has Stu backtracking through situations and suspects that support a number of guest stars--sometimes almost in cameo roles--to finally come to a conclusion.
    The episodes that are void of Joan Staley lose a lot of character and humor.

With just a bit of scripting using some kind of ironic twist, this could have easily been a Twilight Zone episode. It's filled with a veritable talkfest of psychological babble and man's darker side, striving towards a kind of universal resolution that propelled me to fetch another martini. I have my own method of going crazy.

Lutz Koch, Flashgear, RBailey and 3 others like this.
  13. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I always remember William Campbell co-starring with Paul Birch in the syndicated tv series “Cannonball.” I still remember the theme song.

14. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I remember those radio / hi-fi's. Practically a scientific revolution and invention magazine cover bait.

[​IMG]
    You just can't have enough knobs and dials to suit me.

15. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Great review. Remember you’re in the pre-Joan Staley period so before you leave season 6 make sure you’ve reviewed all the post-Joan episodes.
    I always thought Nick Adams was an underrated actor. He was always very good in a variety of roles. Too bad he died young.

16. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I think I got most of the Hannah episodes. At least the ones I've recorded.
    Nick Adams was trying his level best as a Cagney-like gangster in this episode. His girlfriend (Barbara Bain) called him "King of the Rinky-Dinks".
    He'll always be just a Rebel to me.

17. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Flashgear, love the screencaps and thanks for that info on William Campbell that I did not know!

18. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Randall, that is actually a Zenith Trans-Oceanic multi-band radio. If you've ever watched the series Mr. Lucky, you may remember seeing a similar radio. I had one like this when I was a kid. I got it for free and was all excited until I discovered that the new tube it needed cost $25. I got that tube for my next birthday. . . .

And this relates well to 77SS, because both Stu and Jeff had a later, all-transistor model in their offices, usually sitting on top of a file cabinet. I have that model myself.

19. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned in these pages, but the Crescendo was just a half-block west of 77 Sunset Strip, at 8572 Sunset. I'm sure Kookie would have gone there.

You can see its marquee whenever the camera points west down Sunset. It's on the same side of the street.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Gary16 like this.
  20. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Okay, Rob...it's time for us to board our time machine and go back to explore the place. If we're lucky, Kookie will be there. If not, we can just walk up the street a bit and catch him parking the cars. I'll buy you a bourbon, neat, in Dino's.
    Possible even get Frankie Ortega to autograph our cocktail napkins.