What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (6 Viewers)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the heads-up, Gary! I wonder which version they will run? :popcorn:

EDIT: Hmm. . . they seem to be running it in the same time slot, which would suggest an edited version of the pilot. Well, I guess we'll have to wait to see May 9's schedule when it is revealed tomorrow. But in any event, I am overjoyed that they are adding this episode to the rotation on the, what is it now, fifth time through? It shows that they are still paying attention to the show.
This will be the 4th cycle of 77SS but the first time they’ve aired the pilot. I’m sure they’ll extend the time slot to run until 5:30 am. AFAIK the only version Warner has ever put out is the same one that aired on Goodlife/Americanlife.
Maybe this time around they’ll finally show “Bullets for Santa!”

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
This will be the 4th cycle of 77SS but the first time they’ve aired the pilot.

I lost track of the cycles, but I realize that this is the first time they've aired the pilot. That's why I'm so excited, because it seems to indicate they haven't lost interest in the show.

I’m sure they’ll extend the time slot to run until 5:30 am.

Yes, upon reflection it's hard to see why they would even show it otherwise. I hope they at least show the full 77 minutes of the pilot,

AFAIK the only version Warner has ever put out is the same one that aired on Goodlife/Americanlife.

I realize that, but I can dream, can't I? And wouldn't it be fantastic if they aired the EZ explanation re Kookie's character?

Maybe this time around they’ll finally show “Bullets for Santa!”

That thought had occurred to me as well. I think we should all contact Me-TV at their site, commend them for showing "Girl on The Run," and ask them to show "Bullets for Santa."

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

I am glad that when I was house sitting a few years ago and was using my friend's Warner Instant Archive account to watch some Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip episodes, that I chose to watch "Bullets for Santa," which was one of the selected episodes.

If you write to Me-TV, do they ever answer anyone?

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I've written to the network twice and never got a response. I figure they've read some of my commentaries in here and rightfully concluded I wasn't worth the effort.
You do realize that if you visit METV all you'll find a vcr and a timer.:P
A VCR can't write.
You're worth the effort. Oh no - I said something nice - I must be ill.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I’ll be watching - I’ve never seen it.

I caught an episode from the last season the other night. The shift in tone from the previous seasons is completely bizarre. 77SS was a lighthearted detective show. Did they really think that dropping almost the entire cast and shifting the show to a neo-noir tone would really save it? It’s as jarring as if they had turned Mama’s Family into a dramatic suspense series, on film, for its final season. I’ve gotta think that people tuned out in droves.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

IMO, I believe they did that because of the huge popularity of the first James Bond film. They did the same thing with Burke's Law after two seasons, even changing the name of the show to Amos Burke-Secret Agent. That quickly tanked, too.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.

I caught an episode from the last season the other night. The shift in tone from the previous seasons is completely bizarre. 77SS was a lighthearted detective show. Did they really think that dropping almost the entire cast and shifting the show to a neo-noir tone would really save it? It’s as jarring as if they had turned Mama’s Family into a dramatic suspense series, on film, for its final season. I’ve gotta think that people tuned out in droves.
THAT can of beans has not only been opened in here, but also partially devoured.
Not being a fan of Season 6 either, I've learned to acquire a taste for it.
Kind of like escargot.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
^^^

IMO, I believe they did that because of the huge popularity of the first James Bond film. They did the same thing with Burke's Law after two seasons, even changing the name of the show to Amos Burke-Secret Agent. That quickly tanked, too.
I agree with that. This has been discussed many times in this thread. A lot of things happened almost simultaneously.
Jack Warner decided he didn’t want so many stars on a weekly basis under contract.
Edd Byrnes was let out of his contract.
Jack Webb was made head of production with William Conrad as his next in command.
77SS was the only Warner detective show left as viewer habits were changing.
ABC moved the show to 7:30 pm which was too early for this type of program. Plus the show had never aired earlier than 9 pm in its previous 5 seasons.
As we know there was an attempt to bring Stu’s character back to its former self but by this time it was too late.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

The pilot is definitely worth seeing and a good starting point to see how the show was developed from there.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I'll be interested to see whether Me-TV does any promotion for "Girl on The Run."

And regarding the effectiveness of contacting Me-TV: It certainly can't hurt, and it only takes a few minutes. Obviously someone there is paying some attention to 77SS, and it may be a particularly opportune time to give them a nudge. Plus, they also have the sister network Heroes & Icons, and maybe they would consider running some of the other WB detective series there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks