What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I agree on the cutting off of parts of the frame. Those close-ups are a Jack Webb trademark so no doubt William Conrad would have picked up on that.

I wrote to them about this sometime back. They said they were transmitting it 4x3, and if it's being cropped, the cable company is doing it. (This was confirmed to me by dish owner friends who say they still get it 4x3.) I asked Spectrum about it and they said they're just transmitting what they receive. So both sides are denying it. Sheesh.

Mike S.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I watch it over-the-air and it's a 16x9 signal with the older programs cropped. The commercials run normal 16x9. MeTV was 4x3 until a year or so ago so maybe you were given old info.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Last night's episode, "The Toy Jungle" was the first to introduce Joan Staley to turn Hannah into a real person and also soften Stu's character.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I watch it over-the-air and it's a 16x9 signal with the older programs cropped. The commercials run normal 16x9. MeTV was 4x3 until a year or so ago so maybe you were given old info.

Interesting, thanks. Though it doesn't explain why they would do this when virtually all of their programming remains 4x3. You'd think they'd at least pillarbox the shows themselves, as TCM does.

mark-edk

Second Unit
William Conrad shows up in a few S06 episodes where he's not officially credited...as a voiceover. In one he's doing play-by-play for a baseball broadcast. In another he dubs the voice for a smallish fellow with a peg-leg. The latter sounds weird because today we know that voice so well, but this aired in the pre-Cannon days.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
William Conrad shows up in a few S06 episodes where he's not officially credited...as a voiceover. In one he's doing play-by-play for a baseball broadcast. In another he dubs the voice for a smallish fellow with a peg-leg. The latter sounds weird because today we know that voice so well, but this aired in the pre-Cannon days.

Conrad's voice should have been quite familiar even then, because among other things he was Marshall Dillon in the radio version of Gunsmoke, and did all the announcements and narration for the various "Rocky and Bullwinkle" shows.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Amazingly . this thread goes back 6+ years. I think that most of really thought something would be worked out to get these shows out on DVD via the Warner Brothers Archives. We all know it's music clearance issues that are holding up release. I'm sure WBA would love to release these shows like they've done with many other "less popular" shows. But at this stage it seems less likely all the time . And when the shows are shown on television , it's in the wrong ratio.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Last night's 'Alimony League' is one of the best of an uneven season. All the clichés I love: stranded on an island, thunderstorms, power failure, mysterious deaths, a vanishing corpse, howling dog, even a secret passage. The central figure is Lloyd Corrigan (Boston Blackie's millionaire pal from the old movie series), with a supporting cast that includes four ex-wives (all beautiful and charming), a new one (ditto), plus a suspicious servant and his mysterious Indian wife. As you might imagine, murders ensue. As a bonus, the by-play between Stu and Hannah, though brief, is some of the best yet.

It was at this point that the credits changed. Instead of the terrific Bradbury Bldg sequence with Stu in the elevator, now it's just Stu walking down an L.A. street at night. Same thing for the end credits. I totally don't remember this at all, and like the original better. Also, for the first time MEtv included the Warner fanfare at the end.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Last night’s episode “The Target” was unique in that producer William Conrad, associate producer Jimmy Lydon, episode writer Tony Barrett, and episode director Lawrence Dobkin all also appeared in acting roles in the episode. Very good episode too. Great Hannah-Stu moments.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
So next up is the last episode.

Dropping the Bradbury from the opening was probably a deliberate decision to fuzz over that Stu was not at 77 Sunset Strip anymore. When someone was looking at Stu's I.D. in a previous S-6 episode, it said his address was 77 Sunset Strip. I forget which episode it was and will be on the look out for that scene when I watch S-6 again. I didn't notice if the I.D. card said Bailey and Spencer too. (stock shot)

mark-edk

Second Unit
So next up is the last episode.

Dropping the Bradbury from the opening was probably a deliberate decision to fuzz over that Stu was not at 77 Sunset Strip anymore

There was definitely some other motivation for the change other than just trying a new title sequence. In the last episode when the door to Stu's office opens, instead of the Bradbury building backdrop seen in earlier episodes, there's a brick wall. If they went through the expense to make a new backdrop there has to be a reason for it beyond a producer's whim.

So my imagined finale for the show, with Stu and Hannah going down the elevator for their romantic evening, didn't materialize. Not only she not go out with him, but Stu was apparently evicted!

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Last night's 'Alimony League' is one of the best of an uneven season. All the clichés I love: stranded on an island, thunderstorms, power failure, mysterious deaths, a vanishing corpse, howling dog, even a secret passage. The central figure is Lloyd Corrigan (Boston Blackie's millionaire pal from the old movie series), with a supporting cast that includes four ex-wives (all beautiful and charming), a new one (ditto), plus a suspicious servant and his mysterious Indian wife. As you might imagine, murders ensue. As a bonus, the by-play between Stu and Hannah, though brief, is some of the best yet.

It was at this point that the credits changed. Instead of the terrific Bradbury Bldg sequence with Stu in the elevator, now it's just Stu walking down an L.A. street at night. Same thing for the end credits. I totally don't remember this at all, and like the original better. Also, for the first time MEtv included the Warner fanfare at the end.

I remember enjoying "Alimony League" when it first aired and still dug it all these decades later. (I think my crush on Kathie Browne began there.) My supposition--and this is nothing more than that--is that Webb and Conrad saw the sinking ratings, realized they had made a mistake, and decided to try a "throwback" episode to see if that helped any. But since there were only four more episodes shot, I'm guessing it was too late--that either the axe had fallen or was about to. Nonetheless, it was nice to see they could still deliver the goods when they were so inclined.

Mike S.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I remember enjoying "Alimony League" when it first aired and still dug it all these decades later. (I think my crush on Kathie Browne began there.) My supposition--and this is nothing more than that--is that Webb and Conrad saw the sinking ratings, realized they had made a mistake, and decided to try a "throwback" episode to see if that helped any. But since there were only four more episodes shot, I'm guessing it was too late--that either the axe had fallen or was about to. Nonetheless, it was nice to see they could still deliver the goods when they were so inclined.

Mike S.

Mine was on Natalie Trundy from that same episode, and who also appeared in a memorable Thriller episode and the original Planet of the Apes movies.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
A reminder to all who are following this series that "The Silent Caper" is coming up this Thursday morning. I remember watching this episode when it originally aired. I was 10 years old and thought it was the greatest thing ever.
Yep, I agree. In fact, all of the episodes written by Roger Smith were top notch. Another favorite was "The Attic" where Jeff Spenser is tied up in the attic of a ramshackle farmhouse and has to contend with a frisky snake. Riveting.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
roger-smith-actor-beach-time-1959.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks