1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    As Joe Walsh says

criblecoblis likes this.
  2. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I KNEW you'd have the answer to the location in question! Just knew it.

criblecoblis likes this.
  3. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Well, you know that I share your fascination with locations. Wifey and I explored Sand Canyon thoroughly several years ago with a thought to buying a place there. We ended up getting a place in Piñon Pines, farther away but much more doable.

4. Message #2324 of 2407 Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Once you identified the place, I immediately had to Mapquest it.

upload_2019-2-7_10-8-36.
    Sand Canyon Country Club, Santa Clarita

Hard to tell from this how close the clubhouse resembled to what was in the episode. Most likely would have gone through renovations at some point from 60 years ago. I did not see a mission with a bell tower nearby, however. Either it no longer exists or it was a fabrication in the story.

Randoms*:
    When I was first hired at AIG and invited to the Southern California office some 20 years ago, I spent a couple of days at my boss' house in Dana Point--which is nowhere near Santa Clarita, of course. Our office was in Santa Ana, now referred to---for some reason---as South Coast Metro. So my stomping ground was everywhere in between, usually spending an inordinate amount of time at the rustic Hotel Laguna Beach for martinis on the deck overlooking the ocean. For a landlocked Indiana boy, it could get no better than that.
    It nearly broke my heart to learn the hotel closed its doors at the end of last year. I liked to imagine that EZ or Roger Smith or Edd Bryrnes might have had a drink there at one time or two.

*This Random has absolutely nothing to do with your post. I just had a sudden need to flash backwards.

5. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Yes, there's still lots of filming done in Santa Clarita! Although I haven't seen this episode, I was going to guess it might be Lakeside Golf Club, as it is just a stone's throw from Warner Bros. Studios and also is on Toluca Lake.

6. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Just to show you what I meant by a stone's throw away...the golf course can be seen on the right.
    Warner Bros. is on the left.

[​IMG]

Very few people have ever seen Toluca Lake, center, because it's borders are all fronted by private homes. Some notables who have lived in
    that neighborhood: Bing Crosby, W.C. Fields and Amelia Earhart. Many more.

7. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri

8. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri

9. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I'm familiar with the area. There used to be (may still be) a Morton's across the street from Warner Studios where I had many a business dinner. I'll let Rob duke it out with you as to which was the logical setting for "The Disappearance" episode.

Flashgear and criblecoblis like this.
  10. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Bob Hope

11. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri
    I can't do screen caps. I have yet to figure out how to burn 77 Sunset Strip episode mostly from Daily Motion from the internet to the computer contained HP dvd recorder/player.

I have come upon some proof from 77 Sunset Strip :

Season 1, Episode 28: Violence for your Furs":

1. Season 4, Episode 28, "Violence for you Furs", (This isn't the one that I was thinking of in the dark of Dino's).. Approximately at 5 minutes into episode: Dino's parking lot in the dark, Stu's car is parked at edge of ramp that is behind the building. This back edge of Dino's building is rarely seen. The ramp severely declines to a lower parking lot. this view is rarely seen. In approximately the middle of the picture can be seen what I think are those orange & white road barrels marking the road edge.

2. Vertical line coming down the middle of the picture approximately 60% across screen, I think it is a steeply descending road coming down a mountain. There's a car or two driving down with round shaped headlights.

3..There's also a car valet, in uniform with a cap, running from before the right side of the 77 Sunset Strip awning to the car valet station in front of carport back wall support for the roof..

4. Looks like there may be a garage (or building) down on next level ( same as lower level as Dino's parking lot?) when looking in space between Dino' & left side of 77 Sunset Strip awning.

5. At 7 minutes, I like how Roscoe moves his hat on his head.
    6. At 7 minutes, Dino's in the light.
    7. At 19 minutes, Dino's in light, Jeff's car parked in back with its back end near road decline. Also, showing sharp decline & lower level parking lot with a parked cars.

8. At 19 minutes, Dino's in the light, Dino's with a space between Dino's carport wall & 77 Sunset Strip awning.

9. At 29 minutes, Dino's in light, car with back end at start of down ramp,& cars parked at lower level.

10. At 29 minutes, Dino's in light,space between Dino's car port wall & 77 Sunset Strip awning showing building on lower parking lot area.

Season 4, Episode 30," The Pet Shop Caper":

1. At 20 minutes, Dino's front door almost starts at the front edge of the carport. I never realized Dino's front door was like that.

Season 4, Episode 30, The Steerer:

1. At 24 minutes, side of 77 Sunset Strip building facing Dino's in the light has the Mary Webb Davis sign on it. Also, I didn't think the 77 Sunset Strip building was that deep.

2. At 46 minutes, Dino's in the dark, Mary Webb Davis sign and car headlights on lower level parking lot.

3. At 56 minutes, Dino's in light, about the same as above.

Season 3, Episode 8, "Double Trouble":

1. At 0 minutes, Dino's lot in the light, best view I have found with little looking of the steep deline to the lower lot and cars parked on lower lot.

Season 4, Episode 31, "Ghost of a Memory":

1. At 43 minutes, Dino's in the light, steep decline down to lower parking lot and car valet by car valet station.
    2. At 58 minutes, Dino's in the light, about the same as above.

Season 1, Episode 3, "A Nice Social Evening":

1. At 5 minutes, at approximately, there seems to be road with cars driving down a major hill.
    2. At 10 minutes, Dino's in light steep decline to lower lot & some nice street view of Mary Webb Davis Building.
    3. At 22 minutes, Jeff seems to have a mustache.

12. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    The Morton's is still there, as is the Smoke House. As a matter of fact, we were at the Smoke House just last week.

Dolly8, Lutz Koch and Flashgear like this.
  13. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Ahhh. Good to know that particular Morton's is still around. Always meant to go to the Smoke House for a chunk of prime rib and garlic bread. Sure wish I had.

14. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri
    Your usual grat & funny review with nice caps!!!!!!

criblecoblis and Rustifer like this.
  15. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    upload_2019-2-8_16-55-59.

Oh yes, those memories... Driving north on Hollywood Blvd... getting off on Barham Blvd, crossing the L.A. River to W. Olive, and then the Smoke House coming up to the left and WB studios straight ahead. Don't know how many times I took that ride, and each time I thought, "gotta visit that Smoke House some day"... but like Russ, I never got around to it. You get easily distracted in L.A. God, I love that city.

16. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Thanks Dolly. Always appreciated

criblecoblis likes this.
  17. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri
    I always enjoy seeing magazine covers, but the articles are usually missing. There's this website where you can find fan magazine covers for the actors in 77 Sunset Strip or any other actor or actress: www.famousfix.com. Just click on the website and enter what actor you want in its search box.. there are no articles though.

Flashgear, criblecoblis and Gary16 like this.
  18. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri
    Fabulous screen ca[s

criblecoblis likes this.
  19. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri
    Flash Gear,

Fabulous Screen Caps!!!!!

20. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri

On cable, I was perusing the channels and on one of the channels had Mr, Novack series on. I was looking through REELZ, CW, COZI, ESCAPE, BOUNCE, GRIT, COMET, TVLAND, IONHD,INSP, TNT, ETC. Maybe go to www.TVGUIDE.com and search for Mr, Knovak.

criblecoblis likes this.