What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (7 Viewers)

Don McGregor

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
That's not Sue Randall in that Newport commercial.

This is, however, Raquel Welch with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.
View attachment 54136
View attachment 54137

View attachment 54154
Great job, Bob!
Really enjoyed seeing these.
Thanks for finding and Posting them.
Don

I talked about Efrem's hosting THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, back before I started posting pictures. There was speculation that since Louis Quinn was on the show, in his Roscoe outfit, that maybe they were going bring back Roscoe for the remaining episodes of 77SS Season 6. But that didn't happen since 77SS was cancelled. The last new episode of 77SS, S6, was broadcast on Feb. 7, 1964.
View attachment 54139

Efrem Z's hosting stint on THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE was broadcast on Feb. 29, 1964. But it might have been filmed (or taped) months before. It would be nice to know what Efrem and Louis talked about on the HP episode, about 77SS, if anything. There are about 75 HOLLYWOOD PALACE episodes on YouTube, but not this one, S1Ep9.

EZJ, backstage, with, Louis, and Roy and Dale:
View attachment 54140
View attachment 54141
View attachment 54142
View attachment 54143
EZJ with Kate Smith and The Flying Wallendas:
View attachment 54145
View attachment 54146
View attachment 54147
EZJ with Gene Kelly and Raquel:
View attachment 54148
View attachment 54151
View attachment 54152
View attachment 54153

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
And so, as Huggins mentions, EZ himself filmed a brief statement explaining the changes, which I believe was aired at the end of the pilot. I wish we could see that!

While we can't see EZ's explanation about Edd Byrnes and his role in the series, this may be the next best thing. I just received that new CD from Jasmine Records titled "Kookie@77 Sunset Strip" which contains his recordings for WB records as well as Warren Barker's "soundtrack" LP. In the extremely well written and informative liner notes (that you might need a magnifying glass to read properly), writer Roger Dopson has this to say about Smiley's change into Kookie (and I quote):

"There was just one problem, he'd been captured and just been sent off to prison, to be executed. They got around this by getting the show's main man, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., to "explain" to TV audiences in a preamble to the first episode: "WE PREVIEWED THIS SHOW, AND BECAUSE EDD BYRNES WAS SUCH A HIT, WE DECIDED THAT KOOKIE AND HIS COMB HAD TO BE IN OUR SERIES. SO, WE'LL JUST FORGET THAT IN THE PILOT HE WENT OFF TO BE EXECUTED."" (emphasis mine).

So that's what ran in front of "Lovely Lady, Pity Me." Is it 100% accurate? We won't know until or unless an actual recording emerges but i'll assume for now that Dopson had access to a copy or a script of some kind.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
So that's what ran in front of "Lovely Lady, Pity Me." Is it 100% accurate? We won't know until or unless an actual recording emerges but i'll assume for now that Dopson had access to a copy or a script of some kind.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wish that people would cite their sources. The writer likely found this text somewhere on the Internet, as I once did (but of course Google jettisoned my bookmarked link somewhere along the way).

The only difference is that my lost link said it aired at the end of "Girl on The Run."

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
The Decades Channel is having another weekend binge of 77 Sunset Strip episodes. It kicks off next Saturday, January 26th beginning at 1 p.m. eastern time with "Lovely Lady, Pity Me" and running through Monday morning January 28th with a episode beginning at 6 a.m. eastern time.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
"The Gang's All Here" (S4Ep41)

As a young lad watching when this first aired, there could almost be no other trifecta of hep guys than Edd Byrnes, Peter Brown and Sammy Davids, Jr. appearing together in a single episode. I was enthralled. In my glacial trajectory towards maturity to my current age, I can now view this story with my usual (and one could say irritating) acerbic view of a vintage classic with a bit more humor than reverence. Forgive me. You can put suspenders on a salamander, but it still won't make waffles.

Police Lt. Ellison (Dick Foran) beseeches the assistance of friend Stu Bailey to intervene on behalf of his son Tim (Peter Brown), who has fallen in with an unsavory character named Kid Pepper (Sammy Davis, Jr.). The two frequent an unsavory pool hall that exhibits all the ambiance of a Mormon funeral parlor. Ellison needs Stu to visit the establishment and see what Tim is up to. Stu wisely observes' "If I go into that pool hall, I'd be as obvious as a monkey at Cape Canaveral." Roscoe is dispatched instead, and is immediately drummed out of the place faster than wet billiard chalk.

images
images
images

Peter Brown, Sammy Davis, Jr., Edd Byrnes

The task is then passed to Kookie to infiltrate the group, who complains that he's "much too mature" to pull it off--without realizing that he's the poster child for pool hall punks. The transformation only requires a waist-cut suede jacket with upturned collar, a penchant for laconic gum-chewing and a truly snotty attitude. His 'background story' is having been convicted of armed robbery in Anaheim (maybe sticking up the Magic Castle ticket booth at Disneyland?). He is quickly accepted by Kid Pepper and Tim for his uncanny ability to snap his fingers and utter "Cool it", "Daddy-O" and "Dig it", exploding in a cloud of finesse. He's a friggin' natural. Kid reads Kookie and Tim into his scheme of robbing a Savings & Loan bank--his master plan calibrated as intricately as a first-grader's coloring book. His strategy, mind you, is to steal the janitor's key--who just happens to be his dad.

For the convenience of local law enforcement, Kid Pepper habitually wears a jacket with his name prominently stitched on the back. He may as well have been Peyton Manning in full uniform robbing a 7-11. The plan backfires and both Kid and Tim are reconciled with their respective dads and vow a monastic life going forward. A reminder that happiness need not be elusive.

Written and directed by James Komack (Chico and the Man, Welcome Back Kotter), the nearly 60-year old episode suffers a tad in age--but Peter Brown, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Edd Byrnes together--c'mon!

Last edited:

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri
I'm probably not in the majority on this, but I never liked Girl On the Run---cut, uncut, Blu-Ray, Wide Screen, 3D or any other format.
When I first got re-interested in the 77 SS franchise 10 years ago, the only copy I could find of the 77 SS "series" was "GOTR"--I didn't realize at that time it was a stand-apart film from the actual episode run. As a result, I was terribly disappointed that none of the landmarks or characters (mostly) that I so fondly remembered were not present in the film. That's not to say it wasn't good by itself, but rather it did not tickle my fervent nostalgia itch. Thus, I didn't like it.
I admit, I haven't gone back to watch my old VHS copy of GOTR for the same reason I don't watch Season 6. It's a plain bologna sandwich without swiss, mustard and mayo. And I'm just not gonna eat it.

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri
Sorry about the first one. I am with Rustifier, I didn't care for it the first and only time I saw it. I wanted to watch it again, but I couldn't get Criblecoblis copy that he posted to run. Daily Motion didn't have it back then.

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish that people would cite their sources. The writer likely found this text somewhere on the Internet, as I once did (but of course Google jettisoned my bookmarked link somewhere along the way).

The only difference is that my lost link said it aired at the end of "Girl on The Run."
  • I saw a 77 Sunset Strip about 2 months that was on I think Yahoo that was taped from DECADES on which Efrem Zimbalist Jr. gave an end spiel about that episode & next week's. It was not "Girl On The Run"

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri
  • I saw a 77 Sunset Strip about 2 months that was on I think Yahoo that was taped from DECADES on which Efrem Zimbalist Jr. gave an end spiel about that episode & next week's. It was not "Girl On The Run"
The Decades Channel is having another weekend binge of 77 Sunset Strip episodes. It kicks off next Saturday, January 26th beginning at 1 p.m. eastern time with "Lovely Lady, Pity Me" and running through Monday morning January 28th with a episode beginning at 6 a.m. eastern time.[/QUO

I never heard of the DECADES Channel before this thread? Or the Heart Channel before finding DAILY MOTION on the computer.

Yesterday, 1/22/19 on the TCM channel was a Clint Walker film,"Night of the Grizzly". I was surprised TCM had this film.

1/23/19, 8:45 PM - 10:45 PM, TCM will be showing the 1957 film, "OPERATION MAD BALL" which Roger Smith is in.

On Sunday, 1/27/19, 2:15PM-4:15 PM TCM will be showing the film, "Bye, Bye Birdie" which Ann-Margret is in.

On Monday, 1/28/19, 6:15 PM - 8:00 PM, TCM will be showing "Westworld, 1973, which Victoria Shaw is in.

On 3/28/19, TCM will be showing the film, "Auntie Mame" which Roger Smith is in.

On 1/30/19, TCM, 10:00 AM-12:00 PM, TCM will show "Spider Baby" which Lon Chaney Jr. , Carol Ohmart are in.

I am surprised that TCM is showing all the above with the exception of "Auntie Mame". I thought all the above with the one exception would not be good enough for them to be showing. The only one of the above films which I have seen: "Auntie Mame".

I never thought that I'd get to see any of the other above films

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
As a young lad watching when this first aired, there could almost be no other trifecta of hep guys than Edd Byrnes, Peter Brown and Sammy Davids, Jr. appearing together in a single episode.
GAHHHHHH! I just now noticed I misspelled Sammy Davis, Jr.'s name, and I'm past the edit cycle. Drives me batty when I do that.
Let me repeat--GAHHHH!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, typos happen. We all know that. I didn't even notice it.
Yeah, I know typos happen---but that doesn't make me feel any better about them.
I know many participants in here--you included--work pretty hard to post salient thoughts. When I see a typo in one of mine, it sorta shatters my efforts. At least in my mind.

images

Quoting Alexander Hamilton: "A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous."

I'm not one of them.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Quoting Alexander Hamilton: "A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous."

I'm not one of them.

Yeah, me neither! I actually feel just the same way about it. But at least a typo is a mistake that one can make twice, unlike, for example, losing a duel. . . .

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Wifey and I have spent a delightful weekend watching the Decades Binge of our favorite show. I truly cannot get enough of it. I'll declare right here that it's my favorite show of all time. I mean, we only get that channel over the air, and we only have over-the-air programming in the house in our kitchen on an old-school 19-inch CRT. We have spent most of our weekend in the kitchen watching TV.

Best. Show. Ever.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I'm happy to be able to advise you all that 77 Sunset Strip has survived yet another schedule change. This likely means that it survives at least until Memorial Day weekend.
I think that's great--it's obviously getting some appreciable viewership. But at some point, I'd be happy to see it finally replaced with Hawaiian Eye or Surfside 6. After all, the title of this thread is 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, etc.
This reviewer could use a change of scenery. Besides, I think I've pretty much exhausted almost every 77 SS episode with a commentary.

upload_2019-1-29_11-11-43.jpeg
upload_2019-1-29_11-12-16.jpeg

I could have just as much fun with either of these....

Plus, both are as conducive to martinis as 77 SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks