1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Message #2241 of 2281 Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Me, too!
    I'm a sucker for those early '60's suburban comedies (think James Garner / Doris Day in The Thrill of it All and Move Over, Darling) that whisk me right back to my childhood when my parents threw cocktail parties for their friends and neighbors. I'd sit at the top of the stairs in my jammies, awed at the sound of adult laughter and ice cubes tinkling in drinks. Smoked oysters and shrimp remoulade appetizers. Jazz playing on the hi-fi. The wafting aroma of cigarette smoke. Shiny chrome-laden cars with protuberant fins parked in the driveway and along the street. Housewives sporting flip hairdos, pale lipstick and notable cleavage.

Pretty sure the top of those stairs is where my love of martinis and all things early '60's was born.

upload_2019-1-4_14-0-29.

2. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    And the quintessential soundtrack for a 1960's cocktail party!

[​IMG]

And don't forget to invite:

[​IMG]

3. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
  4. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Nice. But I’d prefer this soundtrack:
    DD7195AF-E978-43D5-9F89-4AFA7A27B74F.

5. Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    Atta boy, Gary. Keep the thread on track!
    And congrats for surpassing the 1,000 "Likes" threshold .
    I'm pleased that we both contributed to each other's stockpile.

criblecoblis, Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  6. Message #2246 of 2281 Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    Yeah, I vaguely remember reporting that about 60 or 70 pages ago. I appreciate the cocktail's name, but find it to be a bit too contrived.
    I prefer the established standards of the era: martinis, gibsons, gimlets, sidecars, stingers, Manhattans ( my dad's go-to) and the ubiquitous highball.

criblecoblis, Lutz Koch and Flashgear like this.
  7. Message #2247 of 2281 Jan 4, 2019
    Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    "Strange Girl In Town" (S1Ep34)

I watched this episode a couple of nights ago with the intention of not taking notes for a review, rather just for relaxing pleasure and a virtual coaster for my martini glass. Then I realized I hadn't seen this one in years. So I went back again with my notepad and semi-critical eye to fashion what you're about to read here.

Opening shot: Closeup of Kookie's shoes as he dictates a letter to Suzanne requesting a fingerprint kit. I can only imagine how many teenage lads went storming to their local Thom McAn shoe stores to find a similar pair. Not to mention fingerprint kits--not sure where one would get one of those back then--except perhaps the Hardy Boys' house. Kookie tells Suzanne to take the letter and "fly it" (read: airmail)

Young, pretty Ruth Douglas (Sue Randall) comes to town hoping to land a dancing gig. At her first audition in a club, she's rudely subjected to witnessing a murder committed by businessman Dan Costello (Alan Baxter). Dan is momentarily stunned as what to do once he's been seen as the killer. Not so for Ruth, who takes off like a deer being chased by a staghound.

upload_2019-1-4_19-7-32. upload_2019-1-4_19-8-10. upload_2019-1-4_19-8-48. upload_2019-1-4_19-9-24.
    Sue Randall, Alan Baxter, Carol Ohmart, Percy Helton

Jeff Spencer is ascribed with the task of finding and protecting Ruth from Costello, who has been urged by his sketchy partners "to take care of her"--which presumably doesn't mean show her a swell time at Disneyland. Poor Ruth is on the run, still fetchingly clad in her dancer's outfit, and checks into a seedy hotel clerked by a creepy gargoyle (Percy Helton). Jeff quickly rescues Ruth before Costello's goons get to her--and handily slips her into his apartment and then his pajamas. Ruth, being ever so grateful, is ready to dunk the doughnut but gentleman Jeff bravely-- if not wistfully--resists the temptation. I briefly pondered that option.

Costello's wife (Carol Ohmart) is not exactly one's notion of a demure housefrau, having launched a number of non-husbandry trysts and is the cause of Costello's murderous jealousy and rage. Meanwhile, Suzanne is unwittingly being wined and dined by one of Costello's associates in order to learn of Ruth's whereabouts, which she unintentionally reveals. Oh Suzanne--sweet as can be but not the smoothest edge on the coffee table.
    Jeff eventually infiltrates Costello's well-guarded house and secretly records his confession of murder on a sophisticated device called a dictaphone (even spell checker didn't know what the hell that was) and concludes the whole affair by shooting Costello dead in his own bedroom.

This is a nice tight story (directed by george waGGner) with brisk dialogue and just the right touch of humor so often found in the first season episodes. If you haven't seen it, give it a whirl.

RANDOMS: Guest regular Sue Randall once again pulls off her good gal image--which is completely contrary to the series' usual vixen-esque sirens.
    Carol Ohmart, very vixen-like in this particular episode, has a kinda-sorta resemblance to Diane McBaine. Maybe that's just my imagination.
    Several outlier WB backlot buildings are used as hotel, business and club venues--often seen in other episodes as varying establishments. I take a certain comfort in recognizing them almost as old friends. I wonder how many of them still exist.

ponset, Gary16, criblecoblis and 3 others like this.
  8. Message #2248 of 2281 Jan 5, 2019
    Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    TIDBIT
    -Percy Helton (1894-1971)

[​IMG]

The rather skivvy character actor Percy Helton was actually a WW1 hero, having earned the Distinguished Service Cross. His unique raspy voice was earned after having to literally scream his lines in an early play, thus damaging his vocal chords for life.
    One of his memorable (but unfortunately uncredited) roles was as the drunken Santa in Miracle on 34th Street (1947).

I believe Strange Girl in Town was his only appearance in a 77 SS episode.

9. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    You really should watch it once more, because it's the only place Stu's backstory is given in full. I like to imagine Girl on The Run as showing Stu before Jeff joined the firm, the same time frame as is covered in the flashbacks of "Once Upon A Caper."

10. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I wholeheartedly agree. I’m sure Roy and abc felt it was a good introduction to the series. You just need to watch it without comparing it to the episodes that follow just as everyone who watched it in 1958 had to do.

criblecoblis and Flashgear like this.
  11. Don McGregor

Don McGregor Auditioning

Don
    Thanks, Lutz. One day I'll Post the 77 Sunset Strip business cards I had made up when I was about 14. I still carry one in my wallet. And I'll try to dig up some of the written Posts I have done on 77 over the course of time. Happy New Year. Don

criblecoblis and Lutz Koch like this.
  12. Don McGregor

Don McGregor Auditioning

Don
    Me, too.
    I remember spotting the album in the supermarket. I buried it behind a bunch of other records where people would be unlikely to find it. I was about 14 at the time, and I had to raise enough money to afford to buy it. And I didn't want to walk into the store the next week and find 77 GONE! It may have taken me weeks to get the money, but I checked to make sure my hiding place still held the sound-track. I only wish they'd included more cuts directly from the show. But that album...I HAVE IT TO THIS DAY! Don

13. Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    Yeah, maybe. First, I've got to find my tape. Second, remember how to work the VHS player.
    That's alot for a plain bolgna sandwich.
    But if you guys insist...

14. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Just an analog guy in a digital world:rolleyes:

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  15. Message #2255 of 2281 Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    I'm pretty, but I'm dumb.
    Or probably just pretty dumb.

criblecoblis likes this.
  16. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    I never said that - I've read your reviews.:thumbs-up-smiley:
    I can relate to analog in a digital world - just like I can relate to 77 Sunset Strip Vintage Cool. I like to believe I live there.

17. Message #2257 of 2281 Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Rustifer

Supporter

Russ J.
    Whenever I see one of your blue texts, Mike, I'm somehow reminded of the mimeographed sheets of informational stuff that was distributed by my teachers in grade school. Always blue--as if black was still an undiscovered color. I can even remember the heady aroma of freshly minted copies that could fill the classroom if only for a little while.
    Modern photocopying back in those days was practically a science fiction contrivance yet to be invented, or possibly imported from Mars.

18. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    Funny how some things seem to be the same all over the world. It was exactly as you describe it at my school.

19. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    It's available on dailymotion:

Lutz Koch, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  20. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Our school district seldom used mimeographs. Ours used spirit duplicators, which we called "dittos." I remember that as seniors we gained surreptitious access to a ditto machine, and BOY did we have fun with that! We'd run off a bunch of copies of some wackiness and post them all over campus. And we never got caught!

Lutz Koch, Rustifer and Flashgear like this.