1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Message #2221 of 2472 Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Bob, regarding Girl on The Run, somebody recently screwed up the movie-release listing by conforming it with the episode listing. The movie used to be listed at 90 minutes long, and Jacqueline Beer was included in the cast listing as Suzanne. We know that Beer was in fact in the film from a TV Guide interview posted here a while back. Moreover, in a Roy Huggins interview (also posted here previously), he states that the film was 90 minutes long. IMDb used to review edit submissions carefully, but nowadays they seem to pass them through without any review whatever. I've submitted corrections.

I asked the question about whether there was any added footage in movie-release versions of episodes such as "The Silent Caper" was that they were rather short to be presented as a movie. Also, I know that when episodes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. were released theatrically, they were padded out with extra (and racier) footage.

I keep looking for Aladdin's Lamp, so that my first wish can be to have a Blu-Ray release of the entire series, uncut, with both the movie-release and S1E1 versions of Girl on The Run, including the announcement EZ made regarding Edward Byrnes' character transmogrification. I'm a giver.

Rustifer, Dolly8, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  2. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I hope you find the lamp. As I posted long ago I have a 16mm print of “Girl on the Run” as Warner Bros. released it to stations in a movie package. Suzanne is nowhere to be seen unless she’s an extra somewhere deep in the back of a scene. If any footage was cut it had to have been done before the first tv broadcast on abc.

3. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Maybe Suzanne and the 77SS gang appeared in a "be with us next week" spot at the end of the "Girl on the Run" TV premiere?

Showing normal length, 52:00 minute, American TV episodes in European theaters does seem like the episodes would be too short, but, as added value, shown with a full length 'real movie', making both a double feature, it would be fine.

There probably were less TV sets in European homes at the time and the shows may not have been syndicated yet to those that did have sets. So providing them to foreign theaters was a money maker for the studio and created interest for syndication when more TVs were in homes over there. (And in some cases over here, too.)

They strung together two or three episodes of SUPERMAN and WILD BILL HICKOK for overseas consumption, too.

4. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. They had to carve out time for spots.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Which of course means if there was a longer version it’s never surfaced. Curiouser and curiouser.

Flashgear and criblecoblis like this.
  6. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    People in the industry tend to speak in business jargon. When they say 90 minutes, they mean the entire broadcast, not actual program content. Today, an episode of THE BIG BANG THEORY actually runs 19 minutes, but it's still "a half-hour show."

Mike S.

Dolly8, Lutz Koch, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  7. fdabbott

fdabbott Auditioning

Doug

Dolly8 likes this.
  8. fdabbott

fdabbott Auditioning

Doug
    It really upsets me that Warner Archive started releasing the classic TV westerns of the 50s, but never finished. Where the hell is Colt 45 & The Alaskans, I would have thought Warners Archive would have jumped on The Alaskans with Roger Moore and the great Dorothy Provine in the series.
    Add to that where is the next season of the great 90s western TV series Paradise, they released the 1st season over 2 years ago. This show along with Colt 45, I would pay $100.00 a season for.
    Warner's has no problem with all the super hero crap etc that they release, how about the 50s TV cop shows along with the 50s TV westerns. Hundreds of collectors want and would buy 77 Sunset Strip, Roaring 20s, Hawaiian Eye etc.
    You have fans and collectors that would buy the 50s TV series, but they ignore them and their money.

Dolly8, Lutz Koch, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  9. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    That's an excellent point, Mike, and perhaps I am on thin ice regarding the length. I will have to watch the Huggins interview again to get his precise words. However, I am quite sure that Jacqueline Beer said in her interview that she appeared briefly in Girl on The Run, and if she was not in the 77-minute version (and I gather that she isn't), that would suggest at least some additional footage in the released film version.

Dolly8, Lutz Koch and Flashgear like this.
  10. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Doug, I don't know anyone on this thread that disagrees with you. We know now that the issue with 77 Sunset Strip is the music rights, and the same is quite possibly true of the other detective series as well, because if memory serves they are all music-heavy. I however have no idea what the holdup with Colt .45 and The Alaskans (not to mention The Roaring '20s) is, other than a judgment that the interest is not high enough in these series to justify the expense of issuing them.

Dolly8, Rustifer, Lutz Koch and 2 others like this.
  11. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    FYI “The Roaring 20s” is music heavy too. Dorothy Provine sings in basically every episode.

12. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Well, that explains that show. If only Warner Brothers hadn't sold their music publishing division.

Dolly8 and Lutz Koch like this.
  13. Message #2233 of 2472 Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera

Dorothy Provine had albums of songs she sang on THE ROARING 20's, and there are more tribute clips and songs uploaded on you tube. One song she sang on the show, "Hard Hearted Hannah, The Vamp of Savannah G.A.", was used on THE GALLANT MEN and sang/sung? by Eddie Fontaine. So if that cleared for the GM DVD-R release, does it count for 20's?

81nc5EIv6QL._SL1421_.

614RGwly-JL.

61UMsK3+VJL.

14. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    You know, I have to laugh, because as a lad I only knew of Dorothy Provine from That Darn Cat, Who's Minding The Mint? and The Great Race. Because she plays a "good girl" in the first two, I thought her role in the third (a WB production) was a delightful casting against type. Now I see it was the other way round!

With my second wish on Aladdin's Lamp, I think I'll simply wish to own Warner Brothers. With the third, I'll get Warner's music-publishing division back. Then I can make our world whole again!

15. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I have those albums on vinyl from when they first came out.

16. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Get that lamp! Dorothy’s character in “The Roaring 20s” is still a good girl. She owns the nightclub where both the good guys and bad guys hang out but she always stays on the good side just like the female characters on the other WB shows (portrayed by Jacqueline Beet, Connie Stevens, Margarita Sierra, Diane McBain).

Dolly8, Lutz Koch, Rustifer and 3 others like this.
  17. Message #2237 of 2472 Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I'm probably not in the majority on this, but I never liked Girl On the Run---cut, uncut, Blu-Ray, Wide Screen, 3D or any other format.
    When I first got re-interested in the 77 SS franchise 10 years ago, the only copy I could find of the 77 SS "series" was "GOTR"--I didn't realize at that time it was a stand-apart film from the actual episode run. As a result, I was terribly disappointed that none of the landmarks or characters (mostly) that I so fondly remembered were not present in the film. That's not to say it wasn't good by itself, but rather it did not tickle my fervent nostalgia itch. Thus, I didn't like it.
    I admit, I haven't gone back to watch my old VHS copy of GOTR for the same reason I don't watch Season 6. It's a plain bologna sandwich without swiss, mustard and mayo. And I'm just not gonna eat it.

18. Message #2238 of 2472 Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    There's just a crapload of interesting tidbits about Dorothy Provine. Not the least of which she was born in Deadwood, SD--yep, the same mudhole where Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane hung out in the TV series (2004-2006). That's a long way from the glitz and glamour of Hollywood.

She was often reported as GF to the likes of Frank Sinatra, Glenn Ford and Richard Chamberlain. Kiss and tell. After years of fighting the studio heads at WB, Dorothy finally bought out her contract in 1964 and jumped off the Hollywood circuit by dating a plain ol' science professor.
    That didn't last long as she is stunned when Jack Warner offered her a part in The Great Race film later that very same year. "He and I hated each others' guts", she was reported as saying. There's just gotta be a good story behind that.
    Being a part of the film's gigantic press junket, Miss Provine was thrown right back into the limelight--and returned to her non "good girl" self.

I think I liked her best in Good Neighbor Sam.
    [​IMG]

19. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I love that movie.

criblecoblis, Lutz Koch and Flashgear like this.
  20. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    I remember she did an interview where she said she enjoyed the Roaring 20's very much and felt like she should have lived in the 20's. She liked the look and the songs. She certainly did a good job singing the style in both that and The Great Race.