75l DPL12 - Finished

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottDIY, Feb 16, 2004.

1. ScottDIY

ScottDIY Agent

Well, I finally made a decision on my sub design. I figured for my needs a 75l DPL12 should fit the bill, at least for now. I am a virgin when it comes to subwoofers, or DIY projects as far as that goes. I figured that I could take the money for a plate amp and put it towards a new Denon 1603 receiver (last years model i.e. on sale) and use my NAD3150 to drive the sub. I was a little concerned about the power, ~60 watts/channel @ 6ohms or bridged for ~150 @ 4 ohms. Because I wanted to use the NAD and wasn’t sure that I wanted to commit to a 3.4 ohm draw, so I installed a dual binding post cup so I could the voice coils separately or in parallel. So far I find that I have more than enough power running the VC separately (left – Right).

I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with this little sub. Although, after I finish building a pair of surrounds and center channel, I think that I will have to try Chris Brady’s push-pull TL sub but first things first.

2. ScottDIY

ScottDIY Agent

I quickly through some photos on an old web page that I had, If anyone’s interested check;

geocities.com/toswells/75l_DPL12
    dot html

jeez, I can't post a photo ar html, try this.

3. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

good looking sub, I like the seperate base design. I wish you would have veneered the back, but I guess whatever suits your needs if it will never leave the back wall.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I wish there would have been a picture of the driver.

5. ScottDIY

ScottDIY Agent

I would have done the back, but the veneer that I bought came in a rolled 24"x96". This didn't leave me enough material to cover the back, another $50 + tax for another strip of veneer. I don't think that it will be out from the wall in normal use, besides I am already thinking of another sub design. Not that I am dissatisfied with this one, I’m hooked on DIY now and would like to experiment with other designs. As for this one, I wish that I had built this sooner.

As for photos, I have a few more during construction and I’ll probably take a few new one’s. like the driver photo.

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

nice, to bad you had to hide the beauty that is the DP12 motor.

7. Denis!K

Denis!K Auditioning

Is there a place to get the DPL 12 or an alternative? Adire seems to be out until mid-march.

8. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Maybe the Parts Express 12" Titanic would be close? I guess I need to compare the specs on the two.

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

SAE series from Stryke?

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Colin, I thought the SAE matched closer to the Shiva.

12. Denis!K

Denis!K Auditioning

What do people think of the LAB12 by Eminence? Folks on DYISubwoofers indicate that it is very similar to DPL12?