75 Ohm Coax to RCA for Componant Video

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rutgar, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

I need to run some long lengths of component video cable through walls. I can get some RCA connectors that have F-connectors on the inside of the wall plate. Aren't component video cables 75 ohms? And if so, would there be a problem using 75 ohm cable for the actual in-wall runs, to wall plates with F-connectors on the inside, and RCA connectors on the outside? At which I could then connect a shorter set of component cables to go to the TV.

- Rutgar

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

All video cables are made with 75 ohm coax. But the "RCA" connector is not usually close to 75 ohms. So you want to avoid too-many breaks flowing through RCA plugs.

My first advice would be that you pull enough coax to create a un-broken run from source to destination. Buy blank wall-plates and drill your own holes and thread the cables through for a 'custom' look.

Later, you can always cut the cables off near the face plate and install wall-plates with jacks.

Connector Types:

RCA - poor
    "F" - much better
    BNC - best

Almost all professional video gear use BNC connectors. These would be the superior type of jack to put on your wall plates.

Most of the good custom-cable sites will give you BNC or RCA terminated cables. You can order in-walls with BNC connectors, the wall-plates you can drill/install BNC barrel connectors and the custom cable sites will sell you cables with RCA on one end and BNC's on the other.

There are many different coax cables that are all 75 ohms. But they are not all built for the same application or frequencies.

If you are going to run video cable - buy coax intended for video, not outdoor CATV stuff.

Canare or Belden are two good names and both have web sites that contain the part numbers you need to look for.

Or - contact some of the custom-cable sites on this fourm and some of them will sell you 3-conductor, HD Video rated coax at a per-foot price.

Note: The Canare/Belden stuff is not normally sold to consumers. This stuff comes in 300' or 500' spools and sold to broadcast houses where tech's custom-build all the needed cables. The custom-cable sites are out-growths of these.

3. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Thank you for the information. I found some video coax at Parts Express that is being closed out for only 9 cents a foot. 500 feet of it was only $45.00.

- Rutgar

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

just make sure the center conductor is 100% copper and not copper over steel.

5. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

It has a copper braid and foil for shielding, and something called Multi-s conductor for the center. It's made by Monster Cable, and was designed for RCA video cables.

- Rutgar

6. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

bob i'm building some cables and i seen you said use some bnc connectors. you can use them for ht use? i'm running
    a 30'component to my pj. THX