$75,000 universal player!!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vlad D, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I saw an ad for this universal player, Goldmund Eidos Reference Multi-Format Player, in this month's issue of The Perfect Vision magazine. It's gorgeous, and apparently it will be produced in a very limited run of 50 units. Each will be numbered and engraved with the owner's name, but at the whopping cost of $75,000!! [​IMG] Any takers? [​IMG]

http://www.goldmund.com/old/EidosReference/intro.html

EDIT: Title should read player not pla!yer.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Not a taker, even if the bucks were pocket change. I've never been impressed with Goldmund stuff ever since (over a decade ago) I saw a Goldmund pre-amp on display with a plastic, see-through cover exposing its innards. Two not very well stuffed circuit boards, mostly space, and a $7,500 price tag said ripoff to me. And I suspect this is something similar.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Like the Audio Research Corporation, Goldmund has, more than anything, demonstrated one clearcut ability: how to mark up one's products at the retail level for a particularly gullible demographic. This sort of high-end cultishness is nothing short of silly. Anyone would do more than well with a top-of-the-line universal player from one of the established mass-market OEMs.

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

I agree. Anyone willing to spend that kind of money for a universal player is doing so because: a) they can and b) so that they can own a very limited item. Not for the sake of performance. I personally can't imagine that this player will preform that much better than some of the other top-of-the-line players out there.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I think a double-blind A/B test with a more conventionally priced player would cause a heart-attack for the owner upon realizing that it is technically impossible to have $70,000 worth of audio value in a player like that. I admit that the amount of spending on some things that we "audiophiles" and "videophiles" do is a bit excessive compared to the average person, but I can't even figure out how to attribute the value of that player to its cost. That price is crazy. You could hire bands to play live at your instead!

6. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

It looks very purty. It also weighs 200 friggin pounds!!!

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And no doubt, someone will want this player modded.

I like Swiss cheese though.

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I just pre-ordered 4.
    1 for the theater, 1 for the bedroom, 1 for the kitchen, and 1 for the garage. I will post my impressions once I get them.[​IMG]

9. Jack Briggs

Jed, pay special attention to front-to-back depth. Wonder if Magic Bricks would make this player sound any better?

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Goodness you guys, why all the high-end bashing? [​IMG]

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

In this case, a $75,000 ripoff. That's why.

12. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

More like a $74,900 ripoff. I am sure that there is at least $100 in parts inside that thing

13. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

High-end, its only 75K? I've got more tied up in my digital optical cable.

Also, I plan on spray painting them black, anyone have a suggestion to what brand I should use?

14. Jack Briggs

Chris, I appreciate your frustration with the seeming high-end bashing. Really. However, as one who once bought into audio's "high end" for reasons that became increasingly ephemeral and irrational, I can say that when I came to the world of home theater one thing impressed me more than any other aspect of the hobby: its value per dollar spent. And now, to see those same cottage manufacturers, all of whom are losing dramatic market share in the diminishing audio-only marketplace, I cannot pretend to have anything but abject hostility toward such outfits as Goldmund trying to proffer its mysticism onto a masses-friendly hobby.

There just is no justification for a $75K universal player. For that matter, I'm a bit hostile to such DVD players as the Krell Standard, the EAD, the Linn unit, etc., etc.

Most people, if they didn't know which player was inserted into a system, probably would not be able to detect any discernible differences in PQ whether delivered by a Denon 2200 or this outrageous Goldmund.

Of course, the Goldmund certainly won't hurt anything — other than your checking account.

15. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You're probably right. I have no experience with any such expensive universal player. But I'll bet 99% of the people bashing it don't either. I have no opinion at all, but if you are going to rave or criticize something, at least have *SOME* knowledge or experience, rather than just the "geeeez that's expensive it must be way overpriced and not worth it at all."

I am definitely a budget-minded buyer, but having seen and heard several very expensive systems, I can definitely understand someone with the money spending 20K or more on a piece of equipment. Easy. If there is performance there, and you have the cash, that's great. I can also understant someone like me getting maybe 40K worth of performance (new) for maybe 4K. But it's a BIG pita to do, take a long time, and certainly isn't what a wealthy person may value in terms of perhaps wasted time.

Also, as to depth, don't know if you were referring to audio imaging, or video depth, but in both cases, variance between systems can be quite significant. And we're not talking interconnect-type minor or insignitifanct differences, but *very significant* differences, even on relatively modest systems, with both video and audio.

If you are feeding a $60K CRT stack, you probably wouldn't be using a cheesy universal player (no matter how overpriced it may be), but you might very well be driving it with $40K of video processing. Is that "overpriced?" For me, heck yeah, if you can build an HTPC at 1/10th the price, but for someone without the time, and with plenty of cash, maybe it's worth it.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

People buy it for reasons analgous to what Dudley Moore said in the movie "Crazy People" when he worked on the Jaguar ad. Paraphrasing, "Jaguar is for men who want to get handjobs from women they don't know". It is above all a status symbol.

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !

18. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

that is just funny. i wish i could afford it.

19. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yup. Nothing like dropping 75K on technology that stands a better than good chance of being outmoded and obsoleted in the next couple of years. Like investing in Enron or Arthur Anderson I'd say.

20. Jack Briggs

Chu, you bring up a good point: For all this Goldmund's cost (and, I suppose, "performance"), as well as the absurdly overpriced boutique players based (usually) on a Panasonic chassis, the first HD-DVD players to come along from the OEMs will outperform them ridiculously. And the public, initially, will balk at their $2,000 price tags. Then, a couple of years later, those HD-DVD players will be clocking in at the $500-and-less price points, each of which will produce stunning pictures that this Goldmund (and EAD and Linn and Krell) cannot come close to matching.

Technology marches inexorably forward in home theater. The "high-end audio" ethic, meanwhile, looks longingly back to its vacuum-tube heritage. No wonder it's dying off so fast.