720p vs 1080i

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike_Owens, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Mike_Owens

Mike_Owens Auditioning

Which one do you guys like better. I have a sony 36" XBR and when I switch between the two high definition modes I can not notice a difference in picture quality. Maybe one of you knows of advantages one has over the other though.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike, that Sony can accept 720p signals but it converts them to 1080i for display. It cannot scan at the appropriate frequencies to render native 720p images.

Theoretically, progressive scanning is the ideal. And 720p, to some, appears smoother and clearer and less artifact-prone than 1080i. However, there are so few sets that can do native 720p, and, worse, there are so few broadcast sources for it.

And welcome to HTF!

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Isn't that why the Sony TV's don't have "HDTV" on them? Instead they just say they're "Hi-Scan" logo. I always thought that if it has "HDTV Monitor" on it then it has to be able to display both formats.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

No, it just has to be capable of displaying one or the other. Very few displays are capable of both.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

1080i is far more difficult to resolve correctly than 720p. However, because it is interlaced, it scans fewer lines per field, so the electronics needed for 1080i are quite low.

Compatability/capability and actual resolution capability are two very different things. I'd wager to say that almost no consumer displays can adequately display 1080i, let alone 720p. The reason many sets do 1080i and not 720p is because of the cheaper electronics necessary. They are not properly displaying 1080i though.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    To expand on what Chris said, there is a big difference between "accepts 1080i resolutions" and "fully resolves 1080i resolutions".

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, in order to technically and "correctly" resolve 1080i, you need to be able to resolve 1080p without scanline overlap, which is extremely difficult to do, except on well-setup 9inch tubes.