720p upconverter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted F, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Ted F

Ted F Auditioning

My situation is that I have a Mitsubishi 65819 and it appears that 720p is becoming ever more popular, which my Mits does not accept. So my question is twofold.
    Searching through sundry professional A/V trade journals I found a company "Miranda" (listed on the web at Miranda.com) who sell a product called the Aquila Altair which takes any format and upconverts/downconverts to any format. There was no price listed, so I assume its well over 3K. Has anyone played with the aforementioned product?
    Has anyone seen it function?
    The second question is, does anyone know of any other STB that converts primarily 720p to 1080i?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Ted F

Ted F Auditioning

After checking the technical specs on this unit (ebay has this for $510) I see that the component input is only 480p/480i. I need 720p. Ugh! If you find this in error PLEASE correct me, but I believe this unit won't work. Thanks anyways. Anyone else?[​IMG]

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Ted, what do you have that is outputting only 720p that you want to convert to 1080i so that your TV can accept it? Not quite understanding what you are trying to accomplish. If you can shed a little light on the whole story maybe we can help. [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yes, what is the source of the 720p coming from?

If you're concerned about your TV's HD tuner not being able to display 720p, you'll probably have to buy yet another OTA HDTV receiver and that would upconvert 720p to 1080i and your HDTV could accept the 1080i input with no problem.