720p upconversion to 1080i on Dish 6000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

I have a Dish 6000 receiver with the OTA cartridge. I have a Mits 65819 which will not accept 720p. My local ABC station is going to begin an HD(720p) broadcast soon. I have been told that my Dish 6000 receiver will upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i. My questions are:

-How does it look?
    -How is the picture different after it is upconverted?
    -How much different?
    -Is there enough difference to find another solution to get HD?
    -Which antenna would you guys recommend to use with the Dish 6000?
    -Is it as simple as connecting the antenna and its ready to go?
    -Anything else I need to know?

Your help is appreciated.

2. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I dont have the Dish 6000 receiver yet[​IMG] But I do have a JVC AV56WP30 that upconverts all signals to 1080i,I;m quite happy with the picture,except with the local stations.I talked to one retailer in town and its aproblem on all sets,something to do with a crap signal given to Dish by the locals,they are barely watchable,bad enough Im going to have to call Dish and see if there are any plans to fix this ,or should I just get rid of them.

3. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Manuel,
    I think all ABC digital stations broadcast in 720p. It is a network thing, not a local thing. Also, the majority of TV's can't display a 720p signal natively. Therefore, the signals must be upconverted somewhere. As far as my local ABC, I can't really tell any difference from the 6000 between HD material on ABC and that on CBS, for instance, that broadcasts in 1080i.

For me, to get the locals it was really as simple as putting up the antenna. However, the ability to pull in the local stations and the necessary antenna varies greatly. The other thing is that you need a second dish to pick up the HD channels that Dish offers, Discovery HD, HBOHD, SHOHD and HD demo.

Jeff

4. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

As an aside, I thought that 720p to 1080i was a downconversion - that is, a loss of resolution. Any thoughts?

Martin.

5. Jeff O.

Martin,
    I think I understand your point. I have seen it argued that native 720p can look better than 1080i. However, like Manuel, my TV will not display 720p natively so I have never seen it to compare.
    Jeff

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ve got a TV which will display both, but my STB (Hughes E86) converts everything to 1080i.

Anybody else able to compare?

7. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

Jeff O, I already have an analog antenna for my local stations. However, I am talking about the HD local broadcasts and the conversion (up/down however one looks at it). Also, I already have the CBS HD channel from Dish Network.

I am glad to see that it is that simple. I cannot wait until ABC HD is up early next year in my area. Any recommendations on an HD antenna?

Thanks

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I too would see 1080i as a downconversion. It's a lower scan rate, which is why many sets offer only 1080i and not 720p as 720p would be a "higher" process...

-V

9. Jeff O.

Sorry Manuel, I guess I didn't read your post carefully enough. For an antenna, try starting here Antenna Web.

10. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Is the digital reception with an OTA antenna like digital satellite, you either get it or you don't?

Thanks!