720p to 1080i conversion...can someone clarify?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt_Bradley, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Matt_Bradley

Matt_Bradley Extra

My brother is looking at a 32" HDTV (a cheaper Zenith or Samsung most likely) to be used for playing Xbox games and watching DVDs. We want to make sure that 720p games are going to be up-converted to 1080i instead of down to 480p. I understand this is a big selling point of the Sony direct view TVs, but as I see it, shouldn't all TV's that do 1080i natively upconvert a 720p signal? If not, won't an external HD tuner upconvert? If this is the case, why is this feature pushed by Sony but not the other brands?

TIA for your help!

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Arguably you are better off with a TV that can show 720p as native than one that converts it.

1080i and 720p are very close in quality. I prefer 720p but this is somewhat subjective. For fast action and games 720p has the advantage of holding the detail slightly better than 1080i. This is a very technical area and I have seen great explanations on this in other threads so you can try searching.

If the TV has to convert however you are better off converting to 1080i.

3. Matt_Bradley

Matt_Bradley Extra

Yeah, I understand the differences between the two formats, and I personally prefer 720p for my games. I run an Arcadia 3.6 that will display 720p natively. Anyway, a TV that displays 720p natively is out of his budget so we're stuck with a low end ($1200) HDTV. I'm just asking if the 'upconversion' that Sony touts is an actual feature of their televisions or if it's just marketing hype. Obviously 1080i is far superior to 480p so we'd like the 720p games to run in 1080i if possible....

4. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

Do XBOx games run in 16:9? What have I been missing!?

5. Matt_Bradley

Matt_Bradley Extra

Yup, some Xbox games are in 16:9. The support is determined by the individual games, though. For example, all the Sega Sports games are 720p/16:9. Hell, that new Dragon's Lair game is in 1080i!!!

6. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

7. Matt_Bradley

Matt_Bradley Extra

He ended up getting the 32" Sony because of the combination of the 1080i conversion and the presence of the beloved DVI input. Trust me, though, the Memory Stick slot had nothing to do with it. [​IMG]

He's really happy with it and I looked like the electronics expert once again!

Thanks again for your help!