What's new

720p or 1080i? (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Greetings.

Purchased the Toshiba HD-A1 yesterday and have a newbie question about the resolution settings. I have the player hooked up via HDMI to my 50" Sony LCD display (KDF-somethingorother). I can't really tell a difference between 720p and 1080i but haven't really done extensive viewing. My question is, what is the ideal resolution to set this player at when connected to this TV?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The HD-A1 offers very poor 1080i>720p conversion and most are using 1080i even if connected to a 720p display. I demand you do the same since the owners of players and displays on this forum always obey my commands. You are not permitted to compare and decide for yourself.

Chris

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Here is my pin number ...9815 ... as you commanded ... :)

Yup

1080i is the preferred output on the Toshiba ... unless you get some 720p native HD DVDs at some point in the future. (They don't exist yet in this format.)

Regards

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes. There is an addendum to the manual (you did read the manual, right?) that clearly states that you're supposed to match the output of the HD-A1 to the resolution of the disc, not the monitor. All HD-DVDs released thus far are 1080, not 720, so you should be parking it in the 1080 resolution for now.

Miles

Second Unit
I'm an owner with around 10 HD-DVDs, but thousands of DVDs and wonder whether I should continue using my Oppo for SD-DVD. If I set the Toshiba to ouput 1080i for HD-DVD will it also output 1080i for SD-DVD or are there seperate settings for SD and HD DVDs? No RTFM comments please as I've been an owner for about a month, but have not even opened the box yet :-(

TedD

Supporting Actor
No, it will upconvert SD to 1080I. Most people are saying that the Tosh does the upconverting better than the Oppo.

Ted

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I don't know about what most say but from reading the Secrets reviews, that is far from the case based on objective data. Subjective opinions can be all over the place, but the HD-A1 does a good job with DVD, that much seems to be apparent. I would expect the Oppo DV971H to be better with displays not subject to the macroblocking enhancement problem, but I haven't done a comparison.

Chris

Miles

Second Unit
I guess the reason I wanted to scale SD-DVD to 720p is I have a 720p projector so didn't want to scale 480i/p to 1080i and then back to 720p... So maybe I'll continue to use my Oppo for DVD. I guess I'll just have to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks