720p confusion

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael_Q, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Michael_Q

Michael_Q Stunt Coordinator

I have done several searches on 720p, but I am still a bit confused. Hopefully someone can help.

1) I am looking at direct view HDTVs (mainly Toshiba, Panasonic, and JVC). Even if these sets can't display 720p, will they all be able to convert to 1080i, or are there current models that can't even convert it?

2) The Toshiba sets say they have "720p input capability," but they also make you choose 1080i or 540p in the menu. Does this just mean it can accept the 720p signal, but will convert it?

My main concern is just getting at least a 1080i converted picture with 720p signals. Thanks a lot for any help!

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If the set doesn't accept 720p, it won't matter at all since all the STBs available will convert the signal for you.

720p input capability is only an issue for display of HD Xbox games & computer display. TV signals can be handled by whatever tuner you get.

3. Michael_Q

OK, that helps. However, I am an avid gamer and feel like I need my TV to at least be able to convert 720p to 1080i.

I know Mitsubishi sets can't display 720p source material, but is this a problem with any other brands? I have checked some owner's manuals--Toshibas and JVCs seem to be able to handle it, but I found no mention of 720p in the Panasonic CT-34WX53 manual.

4. Michael_Q

So can the Panasonic CT-34WX53 convert a 720p signal, or will it not accept the signal at all (from xbox, etc.)? Does anybody know?

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If it's not mentioned at all in the manual, it is almost certainly not going to accept 720p input.

6. John S

John S Producer

Is there an upconverting solution for those of us with 480p / 1080i only sets????

7. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

8. Michael_Q

Thanks for the help, guys. I guess I will be crossing the Panasonic off of my list.