What's new

720p Capable RPTV? (1 Viewer)

John_W_Sni

Auditioning
Is there such a thing? I'm asking about native scan rates, not bringing down from 1080i or converting from 480p, etc.

Is 720p the gold standard as far as affordable display devices are concerned? HDTV is only broadcast is 1080i, 720p and some in 480i (Fox?). DVD's are 480p for the most part, right?

What I'm really asking is ff I dropped $2500 on the latest Hitachi or Panasonic (they only do 1080i or 480p generally) am I missing out? Should I spend the extra on Sony LCD technology or Samsung DLP? Should I go FrontProj?

This is part of the larger dilemma of having to put together an everyday use Home Theatre for $5000. Fortunately I already have 5.1 surround, so I just need the display device, DVD player, HDTV tuner, TiVO, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. On both subjects.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Depending on the size display your looking for you can get the HLN467W and the Sammy DVI dvd player for about 4k. Which leaves you with about a grand for what ever else you need. If your going with HDTV cable then you dont need the tuner. With the faroudja chip it will clean up some of the cable signal for a better picture.

John_W_Sni

Auditioning
Kevin, thanks for the reply. I really, really want 60"+

HDTV pictures and DVD's will still look stunning, right? I mean, most of the HDTV broadcast material is in 480p or 1080i anyway, right?

I'm thinking the Pioneer Elite series might be the way to go, but it seems like alot of extra cash. Alot of the Forum folks seem to swear by their Panny's, which are a bargain compared to the Pioneer. Any thoughts?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
HDTV is only 1080i and 720p. Only ABC and ESPN telecast in 720p. Only Fox telecasts in 480p and they promise to convert to HD in 2004. 480p and .720p will get converted to 1080i by most HD receivers before even getting to your set. A few, newer receivers will pass 480p and 720p directly to your display without conversion. But they will also allow a choice and will up-convert if you so choose.

Some people claim that 720p is preferable to 1080i for action-oriented programming such as sports, while 1080i is preferable for more static programming.

Personally I’ve never done an A/B comparison because neither of my sets nor my receivers have 720p native capabilities. My picture is spectacular in 1080i.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Which TV to buy is your personnal preference. I myself am in a delima whether to get the sammy 56" DLP or the tosh 57" LCOS. I do know the elite sets are beautiful but so are the mits and the panny after tweaking. But the burn n issue is something i cant deal with, so DLP or LCOS is wut i am looking at. My neighbor who is a big gotta have the toys kinda guy has the 61" sammy DLP and the sony 40" wega and has hooked up his dvi dvd player to both and prefers the 720p over the 1080i...I have seen both sets each one did look sharp but the action on the sammy way a little better.

John_W_Sni

Auditioning
Kevin, good observations. My first insinct was to go with the DLP, but I have $5k to spend and I need to get HDTV, DVD player, PVR, and a Dish System. Fortunately I have 5.1 surround already or I'd be in a heap of trouble.

So, I was thinking $3k on the display and $2k on the other stuff.

The 61" DLP is $5k ish, I think.

Good news is I can't pull the trigger until we move back into our house just after Christmas, so maybe, maybe the DLP's will come down and maybe I can get my budget up and I can do it the right way.

Just wanted to have a good RPTV backup plan in case I needed it.

Then, there is always FP to consider!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks