720p > 1080i?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Justin_D, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

720p is better than 1080i right? The only reason I ask is I see these DVD players that scale any DVD to 1080i and 720p and the way things are worded, 1080i seems to be better. I just wanna clarify this for myself once and for all.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

720p is preferable for sports/action scenes. ESPN-HD is 720p and looks much better than my local CBS-HD(1080i) broadcast with regards to picture quality. the 1080i shows alot more pixelation(sp?)than the 720p images I've seen so far.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

yes, although 1080 is much harder to resolve than 720, on a CRT display. 720p, though, needs a higher horiztontal scanrate. I've had this point argued, but since those who did didn't want to explain it, so I remain with the standard explanation.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Something also to be aware of: LCD, DLP, and LCOS displays are inherintly progressive displays.

And most people, without regard to their being 1080i or 720p fans will agree that TRANSCODING IS BAD.

As for setting the output of a scaling DVD player, which is better depends upon what sort of display you're running. Figure out which way will do the least transcoding, and figure out which one does the best transcoding. In my case, for example, my projector does a superior aspect ratio conversion than the DVD player does. Your milage may vary.

Leo

5. John S

John S Producer

Hmmm, It is bad to make comparisons from different sources.

So much of how HDTV looks has to do with what is feeding it at any given time.

I would venture to guess, that an equal quality feed would be very hard to tell them apart really, in their native modes.

6. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

Pardon me if this is an uneducated question but I'm confused. I have a new Pioneer high definition cable box that allows me to select output formats: 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I am running a NEC HT1000 front projector via component inputs from the Pioneer STB. My subjective experience is that 720p looks best for everything, even Standard Def tv. Should I just leave the Pioneer box on 720p or should I switch formats depending on which material I am viewing? By the way, my projector has a Farouja deinterlacer which is supposed to be top notch.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The Faroudja de-interlacer in your projector is used only by incoming 480i source material.

Does your projector actually do both native 720p and native 1080i? If so, figure out what kind of broadcast you are viewing and set both the cable box output and the projector scan rate to match each time.

If the projector has native scan rate for only one of the two, 1080i or 720p and accepts both kinds as input, try it both ways and compare the picture quality: (1) setting the cable box output to match the projector native scan rate letting the cable box do the scaling, and (2) setting the cable box output to match the show being viewed letting the projector do the scaling. Setting the projector input to match the cable box output may or may not be manual.

Transcoding (you probably meant to say 'scaling between 1080i and 720p') is bad?
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/hdtvnot.htm

DVD players that scale to 1080i are not inherently better or worse than those that scale to 720p. It depends on the quality of the de-interlacing and scaling.

8. KylePete

KylePete Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to butt into this thread, but isn't 1080i better for still scenery like nature channels? I always thought 1080i was supposed to have greater clarity.

Kyle

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, 1080 provide more lines of resolution, so still images have more detail capability. But VERY few displays can actually resolve 1080 lines.

10. KylePete

Chris, what displays or type of displays can actually resolve 1080 lines of resolution?

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Digital displays with panels that have that many pixels,

or 9" CRTs usually. The thing with CRT, is that you can easily feed 1080i/p to a 7/8in CRT projector that cannot resolve it properly, and you get significant scanline overlap. Again, this also has a lot to do with setup, and how much resolution you can get out of a machine. It's not a set number, like it is with digital displays.

12. KylePete

Thanks for the info, Chris. I guess that is something that I never knew about HDTV's.

Kyle

13. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

Thanks for the excellent information! Now I've got to find out what the native scan rate of my projector is!
    [​IMG]