What's new

720p, 1080i upconverion issues (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
hi, im really confused about upconverting signals to 720 or 1080i. i have 4:3 monitor with a dvd player (samsung hd-841) that has upconversion to 720 and 1080 but whenever i do upconvert i just get the image stretched out. does this mean that upconverting signals is useless to those who do not have 16x9 tv? i really do not like the way it looks in terms of the image but the resolution is amazing and i was hoping tha i wouldnt miss out, please help with any advise or tips.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I've learned this trick with several players and TV's. Try this experiment: Set the DVD player to 16:9. Leave it there forever. From that point forward, manually control aspect ratio as needed from the TV. Or if you have a setting in that TV that's "automatic", depending on what signal is being sent, so much the better.

9/10 times, at least, you're going to also want it on 16:9.

This should yield you the results that you want. Try it and see what happens. ;)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
well i tried that but found that it only works on movies that are enhanced for 16x9. how do i know what movies are in 16x9? what would be the aspect ratio? thanks

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
It says so on every DVD you buy, on the back. Widescreen vs. fullscreen/pan and scan.

If it's a 4:3 picture or nonanamorphic widscreen DVD, my TV or DVD player automatically switches to the appropriate screen setting. In a worst case scenario for a non-anamorphic WS DVD or a fullscreen one, you'd throw your TV manually to 4:3 and that should do it. Most DVD's these days are going to be anamorphic widescreens, so you're home free more and more.

Just make sure you carefully check out the back of any DVD cover before you buy! I can't tell you how many times I've seen fullscreen :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: DVD's snuck and mixed right in with widscreen :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: DVD's. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks