720P/1080i Straight out of the DVD player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oswald Pascual, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

It's still up in the air whether that player will be released in the States. They had one on display at CES, but there was no info available on when or how much.
    However, it's little brother may be available soon:
    Samsung DVD-HD931

3. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I guess I keep bringing this up,hoping someone will have tried it... the Xbox can be modified to output 480p... couldn't it be modified to output 720p with the right software, just like a PC?

Miles

4. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

The studios will never allow the release of the DVD-HD1000 in the United States. The Samsung DVD-HD931 was created to address studio concerns for the US market; it does much the same thing as the DVD-HD1000, except it will only output upconverted material through DVI-CP (based on what I was told).

DVI-CP is the connection standard that Hollywood and the consumer electronics firms have settled on for protected transmission of high-definition content. All the "modern" HDTV televisions feature a DVI-CP output. You'll almost certainly need one to watch any future HD-DVD standard at full resolution. There was not a single display at CES this year, as far as I am aware, they did not incorporate DVI-CP.

DVI standards for digital video interface; it is a pure digital connection that has been used on computer LCD displays for several years. DVI with HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection), or DVI-CP for short, adds encryption. You can read more about it here. For recent quotes from some studio representatives on the necessity of DVI-CP, see this news article. Sony Pictures, Fox, Universal, Warner Bros., and Disney are the main studios pushing the DVI-CP standard which is now being adopted by consumer electronics, cable box, and satellite companies. More articles are available via a Yahoo search on "DVI content protection."

5. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Doesnt the Hitachi rptvs essentially do the same thing?-it up converts everything to 540p or 1080i. Many other sets upconvert to 1080i as well

6. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Ted,
    The benefit of the integrated solution is that everything is done in the digital domain without the conversion to analog. This reduces/eliminates artifacts and potentially improves the detail of the image that ultimately shows up on your display.
    Meridian just announced a $1500 upgrade to their $15,000 DVD player that does the exact same thing (but only for DVI-CP, of course). [​IMG]

7. Oswald Pascual

How can I tell if my CRT FPTV will accept a DVI input?(Sony D50-HTU)
    If not is there something I could do to it to make it happen?

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Ozzie, by default D50HTU does not accept DVI input. I don't know if Sony makes an input board that does. If they do, you can probably replace the second RGB input with a DVI input board. Try contacting them.

9. Oswald Pascual

Thanks Dmitry
    I will will look up ther tech support line and see if this is even possible. If not I guess the next best upgrade would be a TAW video scaler or HTPC, depending on how much Time and Ca$h I have. [​IMG]

10. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Ozzie, please don't forget to post your findings on the matter :b

11. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The studios shouldn't have any say over whether such a player is released. (See the Supreme Court decision in the Betamax case, specifically the principle that contributory copyright infringement may NOT be used as an excuse to ban a technology that has any significant legitimate use.)

That said, it looks like the makers of this particular DVD player have already crippled it:

12. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

Thomas

The player does not convert to 720p and then back to 480p. It will simply go 480i to 480p if it cannot output 720p. (or 1080i)

If they attempt to scale 480i to 720p w/o being encrypted, they would most likely loose their DVD license and be fined.

13. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Doh. If only my TW40X81 had a DVI-CP port.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,

15. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

16. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

May might be a bit optimistic. I'll be surprised if they adhere to the June date they've stated. Check out the thread linked to in the second post of this thread.

Whenever it comes out, it'll be worth checking into.

17. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Why wouldn't you just get a decent scaler and do all your sources instead of just DVD?

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Those of us with HTPCs consider this player irrelevant. [​IMG]